• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Good themes for town names

UltraCadden

Zagartulip
Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    So I am wondering if there was any kind of themes or Ideas for what could be good in a Pokemon Fan Game that I am working on

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Sep 10, 2019
    Yeah, there are plenty of good possibilties out there. I wouldn't say a fangame needs to have a theme for town names but it's a nice idea, just remember that you'll probably need to have around 10-12ish names which is quite a lot.
    In canon, towns in red/blue were named after colours, in gold/silver they were named after woods. Ruby/Sapphire I think it was plants and minerals. They all worked nicely.

Truthfully it can depend somewhat on the theme of your game but here's a couple of ideas.
    Musical words; Sonata, Alto, Melody, Harmony, Treble, Crescendo etc.
    Fabrics; Silk, Cotton, Velveteen, Ribbon, etc.
    Feelings: Mirth, Tranquility, Defiant etc. (Though a lot of negative emotions might not work for towns)
    Even quite precise things can work, like reflections/obscuring things: Mirror, Glass, Ice, Mirage, Shroud, Mist, Haze (these might be only half of a name, so you might get things like Glassport or Miststone).

SpartaLazor

Doofus Lunarius
    Years
  • I personally don't use themes - I just pull up Google maps and poke around, find some interesting names, and make my own version of them, and invent a fun little story in my head as to why the town is named that. Having a theme is cool, but I feel like it's more realistic to have more individual names. After all, towns and cities aren't just given names to match a theme. Their names are slowly developed over time/they're named after people/etc.

Derxwna Kapsyla

Derxwna "The Badman" Kapsyla
    Years
  • I made most of mine based off a word or concept that the location is usually focused around, then translated it into a different language:
    vO1KbRY.png

Back