• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Google's new browser, Chrome.

Years
    I disagree, it doesn't need a File or Edit menu. However, lack of Aero support and the ability to disable it from taking down history precludes me from regarding this as anything but the best beta software ever. :P

Dr. Ookido

オーキド博士
    Years
    Chrome is simple and has some interesting features such as incognito mode (haven't tried it yet). It also doesn't slow down my slow computer like IE7 does. Pretty slick and smooth graphics.

Still, it's less customizable (less options it seems) than Firefox... I think I'll stick to Firefox, and perhaps use it as a secondary browser.

Didn't really like how the self-installer installed itself, no customization such as the installation location.

Eureka1

Yay IIDX! :D
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jan 21, 2023
    It's okay, I wouldn't consider it a serious contender yet though.

Firefox add-on's personally lead me to believe I'll never use anything but Firefox.

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2010
    Firefox's addons just had things that the browser ought to have had in the first place; and they drain memory and CPU time to do it. See: Opera for a good example of a web browser that has lots of features and efficient resource usage. Opera and Chrome actually make good bedfellows; Firefox is just obsolete and depreciated now.

Years
    Its looks good but I cant be bothered to download it unless I hear better about it, I will just stick to FF3 for now!

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    I'm sure once it's out of beta, Chrome will have more features AND I'm hoping on plugins/extensions akin to Firefox and Opera's. (Though probably more like Opera's in the sense of actual usefulness...) I kind of like how it is in the Beta in the sense that it's a great secondary browser. Very basic, renders well, and it's speedy. I just hate those tabs aaaaugh. :(
    Firefox's addons just had things that the browser ought to have had in the first place; and they drain memory and CPU time to do it. See: Opera for a good example of a web browser that has lots of features and efficient resource usage. Opera and Chrome actually make good bedfellows; Firefox is just obsolete and depreciated now.
    :( While I prefer almost everything about Opera (save maybe the severe lack of a very compact skin), Firefox's Livejournal extension alone was enough to bring me back to it once it started working again for me.

Cherrim

Years
    I skimmed the Terms but I must have missed that. Just read it from your LJ but man, anyone wanna confirm that that's true? o_O That's ridiculous.

Kryssi

I think I'm decomposing!
    Years
    Hmm, kinda strange why Google wants that power over its users to be able to do all of that, I never even bothered reading the T&C's when I installed it. I'm perfectly happy with my IE, so I think I may un-install Chrome...

Kenshin

SAN-CHAAAAAANNN!
    Years
    I just downloaded it, and I must say I like it.
    Seems to render quite quickly as well., and the tab bar thing is nice as well.
    The UI looks great with Vista too.

Poke Trainer Gary

Optimistic
    Years
    I don't think it is that much more lightweight. In fact...with the consideration that it loads a new 'sandbox' everytime you load a new tab it cannot beat Firefox in that area.

Upon reviewing some tests regarding Chrome's performance I'm still sticking with Firefox. The idea of isolating tabs is very cool, but I'm not entirely sure how much use I would get out of it. Maybe I'll use it to open large .pdf's.

Unless you enjoy Chrome's layout a lot, Firefox still leads the browsers when it comes down to tests on performance. But Google knows what they're doing hopefully and we'll see how she acts when pulled out of Beta and put into the real tests.

Kenshin

SAN-CHAAAAAANNN!
    Years
    I don't think it is that much more lightweight. In fact...with the consideration that it loads a new 'sandbox' everytime you load a new tab it cannot beat Firefox in that area.

Upon reviewing some tests regarding Chrome's performance I'm still sticking with Firefox. The idea of isolating tabs is very cool, but I'm not entirely sure how much use I would get out of it. Maybe I'll use it to open large .pdf's.

Unless you enjoy Chrome's layout a lot, Firefox still leads the browsers when it comes down to tests on performance. But Google knows what they're doing hopefully and we'll see how she acts when pulled out of Beta and put into the real tests.
    It's actually a bit bigger than FF (60MBish of RAM, as opposed to 50MBish in FF3).

And Sawaa, Firefox addons also add things that Mozilla might not want in there because they don't want to partner with someone. But some of them are there to give features it already had, but most don't. And unlike Opera, if you don't like the way a feature works, you just get an addon. I quit using Opera because I hated the email, and there's a wonderful Firefox addon to check your GMail and take you there. Also, Chrome is OPEN SOURCE. Hahahahahah, I'll bet you hate it now, don't you.

Zet

Years
    It's actually a bit bigger than FF (60MBish of RAM, as opposed to 50MBish in FF3).

And Sawaa, Firefox addons also add things that Mozilla might not want in there because they don't want to partner with someone. But some of them are there to give features it already had, but most don't. And unlike Opera, if you don't like the way a feature works, you just get an addon. I quit using Opera because I hated the email, and there's a wonderful Firefox addon to check your GMail and take you there. Also, Chrome is OPEN SOURCE. Hahahahahah, I'll bet you hate it now, don't you.

Chrome doesn't use that much RAM, Chrome for me uses 9,800 k to 12,000 k

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2010

Protip? Opera can use Gmail as your default mail provider out of the box. Click on mailto: links to open your Gmail.

Cherrim

Years
    Protip? Opera can use Gmail as your default mail provider out of the box. Click on mailto: links to open your Gmail.
    He was also talking about the Gmail checker plugin for Firefox. Opera claims to have one but it's never worked for me. However, Gmail has one for your actual desktop so it doesn't even need to be built-in to your browser anyway. *shrug*

Years
    BWAAAAAAAAH, I told people who never believed me about how Google record and use our information as a search engine and now your downloading a web browser by it! Use google only to link you to sites, nothing else!

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
    BWAAAAAAAAH, I told people who never believed me about how Google record and use our information as a search engine and now your downloading a web browser by it! Use google only to link you to sites, nothing else!

The exact reason I use other browsers for my online banking.

Things I don't like so far:

When the spell checker is stumped, it does not let you know, which for me is really annoying.

The browser starts to have a terrible lag after a lot of use. Restarted it and no problem.

Back