• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Government shutdown begins as neither side agree to a spending compromise

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
Years
  • hm, koff~

I actually have this poster in my room:

welcome-to-the-party.jpg

No joke. It's framed to boot! I don't particularly care for either side. One side wants to take away firearms; criminals are so totally going to go along with that one, I assure you. They'll even turn themselves in when they do awful deeds. And the other side likes to keep all the money.

Both sides and this pointless war they want to go into. I say let the rest of the world fix its own problems for a change. I can't afford dental insurance, but you'll send a $14 million dollar drone get shot down in training exercises in a foreign country? No president we've had since Carter has done us any good, remember that, koffi~

Last edited:
    Years
  • I'm just going to get this out there, but you do know that "Obamacare" and the "Affordable Care Act" are one and the same, right? I've seen people mistake the two for two entirely different things, here and on Facebook. *facedesk*

I'm with CharcharOdin on this. I'm kinda glad the shutdown happened because now a lot of people will open their eyes to how screwed up the Republican side of Congress is. Both parties may not have reached a compromise, but some sources (like this one) state that those nuts don't even want to negotiate (or at the very least, we haven't heard news of them actually wanting to negotiate). All they have done is whine and whine on our dime. And here's the kicker: they're still getting paid while the nation suffers.

So just remember this: What will October 1st be remembered for? A) The government shuts down because Congress can't reach a compromise or B) You can now apply for affordable health care.

As for the gun issue, I just want everyone to get a short background check before even getting a license to own a gun. The way I see it, the only kind of person who would refuse is a criminal. It won't stop mass shootings but it could prevent a lot of deaths. Just my two cents.

Years
  • Can someone explain to me what a government shutdown is and why is it bad?
    Basically, there are a lot of things out there that our taxes pay for and the shutdown is over Congress's inability to agree on what our taxes should pay for.

What this means is, until Congress can come to an agreement, a budget, the money won't make its way to many of the things that it normally goes to. Among those things are hundreds of thousands of federal employees who have to stop working (unless they want to keep working without pay, but even a few noble hearts can't run entire departments) because where they work relies on those funds from the federal government to stay in operation.

Even though the military and other "essential" parts of the government are still being funded, there are lots of other parts that have stopped. If, for instance, you were trying to get a passport (or a gun permit!) you'll have to wait until the government is up and running again and the money is flowing.

What's more nebulous is the effect it could have on the overall economy, how other countries look at America, and how much faith people have in our ability to work and pay what money we owe. It's a kind of boy-who-cried wolf thing. If we keep saying we'll pay, but keep shutting down, people in other countries may stop wanting to do business with us.

Years
  • I don't quite see the problem with what Reid said though. Yeah, it sounds bad if you want to be "Oh, but he won't even pass it to save one child with cancer," but that ignores the whole of the issue.

If they allowed for the funding of each area of government piece by piece while one political party has the ability to veto the funding of any or all particular piece that they want, then what you're doing is allowing only one side to decide which pieces should be funded and which shouldn't (since the other side is in favor of funding everything). In other words, the Republicans would get to pick which parts they wanted to fund and then stall forever on the rest, basically starving any part of government they want. That ain't democracy.

To put it back at them, if the Republicans want to fund the NIH, why won't they agree to fund the entire government?

Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2013
    I hate both parties as well.
    In fact, I think it's horrible that people in Congress basically don't have to struggle to live after being in Congress for a year or two, and yet they allow the People to struggle the most.

Not sure if anyone gets what I'm trying to say, but yeah

«Chuckles»

Sharky
    Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2023
    Basically, there are a lot of things out there that our taxes pay for and the shutdown is over Congress's inability to agree on what our taxes should pay for.

What this means is, until Congress can come to an agreement, a budget, the money won't make its way to many of the things that it normally goes to. Among those things are hundreds of thousands of federal employees who have to stop working (unless they want to keep working without pay, but even a few noble hearts can't run entire departments) because where they work relies on those funds from the federal government to stay in operation.

Even though the military and other "essential" parts of the government are still being funded, there are lots of other parts that have stopped. If, for instance, you were trying to get a passport (or a gun permit!) you'll have to wait until the government is up and running again and the money is flowing.

What's more nebulous is the effect it could have on the overall economy, how other countries look at America, and how much faith people have in our ability to work and pay what money we owe. It's a kind of boy-who-cried wolf thing. If we keep saying we'll pay, but keep shutting down, people in other countries may stop wanting to do business with us.

Thankyou I understand that, so that means no gun permits jeez that would suck (IMO). So where does all the money go that comes from taxes?

Years
  • Last edited:

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
    Years
  • Oh, I have one of those two, koff~

These are the projected budget spending habits for 2014, should the budgets be approved. Also, I don't think a Governmental Shutdown includes the Police, Paramedics, or Fire Stations. That'd just be suicide!

View attachment 69825

The image is quite large, so beware! It's a lot to take in, so take your time, koffi~

Back