• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Grandpa Would Be Proud

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    So an email was sent out a few weeks ago congratulating me on finishing my first year of Notre Dame and inviting me to apply for this program. It's a "week-long immersion program designed to strengthen foundational skills in science and engineering", paid for entirely by the Boeing Corporation. It's open to all students going into any Engineering or Science major. That's thousands of kids. They had room for 10. I applied but immediately wrote it off; I did pretty badly grades-wise this past semester, and I assumed they would pick others even if I did great because it was such a small chance. Then I got an email today:

Dear Nicole,

Congratulations on being accepted into the Boeing Corporation Program. You will receive more detailed information about the week-long program early next week. The program dates to make note of from the initial email invitation that was sent to you are as follows:

Sunday, August 14th – 3:00pm – Classes Begin
    Thursday, August 18th – Classes End

You will be able to move into your dorm as early as Thursday, August 18th, as an early move-in request has been made to the Office of Residence Life & Housing.

Please look for an email from us the week of July 18th.

Congratulations again and all best,

Angie R. Chamblee
    Sr. Assoc. Dean
    First Year of Studies

So yeah. I just got accepted into a Boeing program that gives me free tuition, room, and board for a week or so, and allows me to move in early to my dorm. And I was picked in the top 10 out of thousands. Oh my god so excited. I need to like go do cartwheels or something. Or learn how to do cartwheels so I don't hurt myself first.

This really does mean something special to me honestly. My grandfather on my mom's side was an aerospace engineer. He worked for Lockheed Martin, and was contracted by Boeing to help work on spaceship wings. He actually worked on the original Apollo. I never got to meet him though, he died when my mom was 14, long before I was around. But this is special to me because of that. :)

Now I know your first name and where you'll be on Sunday, August 14th at 3:00pm. I'll meet you there! I'll be the one wearing a lion hat.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Patchisou Yutohru;bt64651 said:
    Now I know your first name and where you'll be on Sunday, August 14th at 3:00pm. I'll meet you there! I'll be the one wearing a lion hat.

At Notre Dame? If you have that kind of dedication...XD;

Back