• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Grantho region and pokemon black amethyst (fakemon and stuff like that)

Professor W.

Squirtle Fan
Years
  • Alright, here we go.

Some of your sprites are a bit to large. The three bug types on the bottom are too large and bulky. I would also try to change the mouth on the first one, it looks like it's eating a chesseburger (sorry). I would also redo or remove the duck thing. It's shape drives me nuts.

Other than that, your sprites are good. The shading on most of them is flabbergasting (who says that anymore, :P) and accurate. The form of the first one (besides the mouth) is outstanding and looks professional. The Coleoflame, Raptorch, and Teerupt family is probably the best, shading-wise and form-wise.

Keep spriting and keep up the good work.

Chipdachimchar

Chimchar Master
    Years
  • Alright, here we go.

Some of your sprites are a bit to large. The three bug types on the bottom are too large and bulky. I would also try to change the mouth on the first one, it looks like it's eating a chesseburger (sorry). I would also redo or remove the duck thing. It's shape drives me nuts.

Other than that, your sprites are good. The shading on most of them is flabbergasting (who says that anymore, :P) and accurate. The form of the first one (besides the mouth) is outstanding and looks professional. The Coleoflame, Raptorch, and Teerupt family is probably the best, shading-wise and form-wise.

Keep spriting and keep up the good work.

WOW :P thats the first compliment ive ever had on my sprites but yours arent half bad either

558122_DG

Learning how to make mistakes
    Years
    • Seen May 27, 2021
    the 2 trainers look great :)
    I don't like some of your fakemon, I like some of 'em like the caterpiller :)

Chipdachimchar

Chimchar Master
    Years
  • the 2 trainers look great :)

thanks the male is actually heavy edit of the hero from HG and SS with a team rocket admins arm anda guys shirt and other arm the trousers are the heros shorts but i made them longer and i scratched the hair

the female was the newsreaders body thewaitresses head and arm the fashion model arm the legs were the girl heros and i scratched the long bit of hair

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 6, 2015
    well... ummm... bit odd

some of ur pokemon dont look right dunno how just a little unshade and unpokemonish

try too improve them somehow

Nyu~♥!

Pokémon Opal Producer
    Years
  • The thing that makes some of your sprites look a bit wrong is the shining. The shines are sometimes too large and don't reflect on the texture of the surface of the pokemon(like if there was a metal plate on the pokemon, it would have smooth shines going right under the outlines, but sometimes, just a spot).
    Another thing is that the outlines are too bright.
    Lastly, the designs don't really look like pokemon, but more like american cartoons. try to stikck to more japanese anime styled fakes, they'll look more like pokemon.

Iarama

RMXP User
    Years
  • Yes I agree redo the pokemon designs and your male trianer's hair seems to be a bit flat try better shading and more hair.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    What did those fakemon ever do to you? =/

Your fakemon definitely need work. They don't look very Pokémon-esque and their outlines are atrocious. Not to mention the concepts for some, like the mountain-Diglett thing and the bomb-looking. . thing, are terrible and definitely need more thought put into them.

Not to mention you got lazy with some of them and they're simply fusions. Like the Platypus fakemon is just Bidoof, Psyduck, Wigglytuff, and god knows what else. And what's with the one that looks kinda like an icicle? It looks so overdone. The outline is poorly done and it seems you picked random places to put colors in it. The overall design needs more thought and a lot more practice before you can manage to do something like that.

Your last two bug sprites are also waaaaaay too big.

I suggest you take a closer look at Pokémon sprites and examine them thoroughly before attempting another scratch sprite. And your lack of noticeable shading needs to be fixed. Make the shadowed areas a little bit darker than you have them and remember that, since the light source is coming from the top left, a lot of the bottom right of the sprite's outline will stay black. Especially around the feet.​

Chipdachimchar

Chimchar Master
    Years
  • What did those fakemon ever do to you? =/

Your fakemon definitely need work. They don't look very Pokémon-esque and their outlines are atrocious. Not to mention the concepts for some, like the mountain-Diglett thing and the bomb-looking. . thing, are terrible and definitely need more thought put into them.

Not to mention you got lazy with some of them and they're simply fusions. Like the Platypus fakemon is just Bidoof, Psyduck, Wigglytuff, and god knows what else. And what's with the one that looks kinda like an icicle? It looks so overdone. The outline is poorly done and it seems you picked random places to put colors in it. The overall design needs more thought and a lot more practice before you can manage to do something like that.

Your last two bug sprites are also waaaaaay too big.

I suggest you take a closer look at Pokémon sprites and examine them thoroughly before attempting another scratch sprite. And your lack of noticeable shading needs to be fixed. Make the shadowed areas a little bit darker than you have them and remember that, since the light source is coming from the top left, a lot of the bottom right of the sprite's outline will stay black. Especially around the feet.

umm :/ 1m only 12 chill ill fix them when i get the chance

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    Chill? Chill what? XD I was giving you constructive criticism. Sheesh.

And age is an inappropriate excuse for incompetent spriting.

Last edited:

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
    Years
  • And age is an inappropriate excuse for incompetent spriting.
    Wrong. Are you confident on that? Just by the way he talks. Do you expect a 12 year old to talk the same as a 18-year old? No. Do you expect them to learn algebra the same, easy way? no. What makes you think that spriting is different?

Your criticism is really good, I don't disagree there, and you are not being harsh either, but age does matter.

It seems that Chipdachimcar has still a long way to go. But if you notice the sprites, especially the ones on the first line (except for the last one), they're nicely done, up to a point, especially Coeloflame.

You seem to be going for a pre-historik type of fakemon, eh? well. I think the main idea was covered by people around me, but I must say, you're really creative when it comes it concepts. In other words, your ideas are funny. You are just not inprinting them professionally, but if you stick to it, you will, eventually.

I suggest to look at the spriting tutorial, located in this forum, and maybe take a look at other sprites, to learn the correct dimensions and proportions of your sprites. Good luck, buddy!

Nyu~♥!

Pokémon Opal Producer
    Years
  • Wrong. Are you confident on that? Just by the way he talks. Do you expect a 12 year old to talk the same as a 18-year old? No. Do you expect them to learn algebra the same, easy way? no. What makes you think that spriting is different?

Your criticism is really good, I don't disagree there, and you are not being harsh either, but age does matter.

So true. D: He's pretty young so I'd be a bit lighter on him. I know you are a hard critiquer, Shinji, but remember he's 12; saying something harsher than you did could really get him fired up or saddened. You have to think about who you're critiquing sometimes.
    Either way, using insults or harsh words in general is really not the best thing to do. If you do, you might want to pick out some good things that the artist did. That way they'd do that good thing more and stick to it. Anyway, your critiquing style is your critiquing style.

Conan Edogawa

One Truth Prevails
    Years
  • Wrong. Are you confident on that? Just by the way he talks. Do you expect a 12 year old to talk the same as a 18-year old? No. Do you expect them to learn algebra the same, easy way? no. What makes you think that spriting is different?

It seems that Chipdachimcar has still a long way to go. But if you notice the sprites, especially the ones on the first line (except for the last one), they're nicely done, up to a point, especially Coeloflame.

You seem to be going for a pre-historik type of fakemon, eh? well. I think the main idea was covered by people around me, but I must say, you're really creative when it comes it concepts. In other words, your ideas are funny. You are just not inprinting them professionally, but if you stick to it, you will, eventually.

I suggest to look at the spriting tutorial, located in this forum, and maybe take a look at other sprites, to learn the correct dimensions and proportions of your sprites. Good luck, buddy!

How does this justify age as an excuse? While I do agree that the way the criticism was worded was unnecessary I do have to point out that Shinji was right. Spriting is a form of art, and younger children can learn the techniques, what to do and what not to do, and the other aspects just as easily as an adult or older person. Children have the same learning capabilities as everyone else. So saying "I'm only twelve" is not a valid excuse.

Anyways, I noticed that your outlines are very poorly done. Think about your light source, it's in the top left for pokemon, so the lighter outlines should be the parts directly hit by the light. Also, the contrast in some places is to much. It doesn't look good to go from a rather light shade to black. Also, try to round out your outlines. More often than not organic beings are round. On your Diglett evo (I'm assuming it's a diglett evo) you should adjust the pose so it is looking towards the lower left, not directly at us. Your shading has definitely improved, but remember that there should be shading under/behind an extremity.

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
    Years
  • How does this justify age as an excuse? While I do agree that the way the criticism was worded was unnecessary I do have to point out that Shinji was right. Spriting is a form of art, and younger children can learn the techniques, what to do and what not to do, and the other aspects just as easily as an adult or older person. Children have the same learning capabilities as everyone else. So saying "I'm only twelve" is not a valid excuse.
    I know what you mean, both you and Shinjislover (I have also talked privately with him about that matter). I also have the perfect example of a young genius spriter: him.

What I meant above, and probably didn't clarify it well, was that a member can be crappier at first the younger they are. Sure, they are all good after they learn, but I was referring as to how fast they learn, and how much they care, as well as their initial sprites. And I'm sure that by those factors a 12 year old is way worse than someone older. =]

Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2010
    cool work, and i guessed that lanturn thing was right and that huge mountain was a diglet related thing, right?

Chipdachimchar

Chimchar Master
    Years
  • cool work, and i guessed that lanturn thing was right and that huge mountain was a diglet related thing, right?

The lanturn thing is a scratch with just kinglers jaw its going to b an evo for lanturn by levelling up in deep sea cave

The diglet mountain...well i just got bored

Chipdachimchar

Chimchar Master
    Years
  • Hey guys i have made some starters! the orevo for the first 1
    the prevo for coeloflame (raptorch wil dissapear)
    and the prevo for tricewet

Back