• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Graphics too bad for DS?

What do you think of D/P graphics?

• Total voters
    Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2024
    ven if you upped it 1GB it would take cash because you would need to buy the extra memory space. I don't doubt they can do it, but when they do it might make the cartridges all big, and it'll just seem like a huge lump to those who own ds lites.

Nintendo 64 Carts varied in memory space. Cartridge size varied from a tiny 4 MiB (32 Mbit) (i.e. Automobili Lamborghini) to 64 MiB (512 MBit) for Resident Evil 2.

Granted, that isn't as big of a difference NOW, but it was back then.

Paranoia

FC: 1375 3660 8982
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Feb 2, 2014
    Hmm, I know that it would cost alot to get a terabyte of space (which would be awesome!) but yeah i guess you are right, because I was checking out some DS games on amazon and I found that the games that had a bigger cartridge cost more (im talking $10) so yeah, your correct, although If they do change it, I doubt it'll cost more, because the NDS isn't that popular, well isn't popular in Aus so yeah, I'm like 1 in 5 who have one in my school. And I was just pointing it out...

Bliksem

The Author Pokemon
    Years
    NDS not popular? I've never heard such an absurd statement. As of Q42006, the NDS (and Lite) have sold over 35 million units. The PSP, its competition, hasn't even broken 25 million.

Paranoia

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Feb 2, 2014
    Yeah, but im pretty sure i said it in context to Aus, and in further context to the area I live in, in other words, its popular in US and Jap.

Bliksem

The Author Pokemon
    Years
    Well, if you want to use statistics (say, the one in five at your school mention), that's a good 20% of your school owning a DS. That's pretty popular if you ask me.

martijn

HeartGold & Collosseum
    Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2016
    I'd personally have liked the overworld style to be more like Pokémon Ranger, but it's good enough anyway. Some people do not realise that allthough some games may not be as good looking (D/P are looking very good, btw) they can still have very good gameplay. And to go with the comments about Stadium 1,2 Coloseum and XD, those battles where indeed a tad slow, which is a bit anoying.

Pokémon Stadium DS could theoratically be possible, only you'd have the problem that you can't put more than one DS card in one console. That could be solved by using a same type of aproach like Opera DS does: using a GBA memory expansion card with two slots for Diamond and Pearl cartridges. If they'd do that it'd be awesome :)
    And that 2.5D is actually called semi-3D, btw. :)

Paranoia

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Feb 2, 2014
    Well, if you want to use statistics (say, the one in five at your school mention), that's a good 20% of your school owning a DS. That's pretty popular if you ask me.

I guess, BUT I what i meant to say was 1 Out of a TOTAL of 5, so thats why i believe the DS to be unpopular, the PSP is more popular at my school.

Shiny Umbreon

光るブラッキー
    Years
    I'd personally have liked the overworld style to be more like Pokémon Ranger, but it's good enough anyway. Some people do not realise that allthough some games may not be as good looking (D/P are looking very good, btw) they can still have very good gameplay. And to go with the comments about Stadium 1,2 Coloseum and XD, those battles where indeed a tad slow, which is a bit anoying.

Pokémon Stadium DS could theoratically be possible, only you'd have the problem that you can't put more than one DS card in one console. That could be solved by using a same type of aproach like Opera DS does: using a GBA memory expansion card with two slots for Diamond and Pearl cartridges. If they'd do that it'd be awesome :)
    And that 2.5D is actually called semi-3D, btw. :)

First, Pokémon Ranger's graphics suck! Parts of the sprites can get out of the map, and you can't walk behind big buildings, which make me remember of the Game Boy Color Era. I prefer FR/LG graphics.

Second, I know graphics aren't everything, but they're part of the game. If not, why would the companies keep making more consoles? It's to have better graphics. You can't expect to buy a GameCube game that looks like SNES. That would be dissapointing.

And third, it IS called 2.5D.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    I guess, BUT I what i meant to say was 1 Out of a TOTAL of 5, so thats why i believe the DS to be unpopular, the PSP is more popular at my school.

Then you go to a very sad school. DS is much more popular than PSP. EoS.

And...*sigh* The in-battle graphics are fine as-is. An improvement would just make the battles take longer, and while it might not be very noticeable during single-card play, slowdowns can add up FAST over Wi-Fi.

Anything else I have to say right now has already been said.

Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2024
    Then you go to a very sad school. DS is much more popular than PSP. EoS.

And...*sigh* The in-battle graphics are fine as-is. An improvement would just make the battles take longer, and while it might not be very noticeable during single-card play, slowdowns can add up FAST over Wi-Fi.

Anything else I have to say right now has already been said.

WTH is a PSP!?

I've never noticed a problem with Wi-Fi on the DS, it's always instantaneously responsive. And the battle animation is on the cartridge, so it isn't like they have to pump all of that information through the Wi-Fi. In fact, the only information being sent to one another is what sprites to draw and what attacks to generate.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    WTH is a PSP!?

:) A piece of cheese. :)

I've never noticed a problem with Wi-Fi on the DS, it's always instantaneously responsive. And the battle animation is on the cartridge, so it isn't like they have to pump all of that information through the Wi-Fi. In fact, the only information being sent to one another is what sprites to draw and what attacks to generate.

How much have you used Wi-Fi, then? I've been using it for a couple months now and I've noticed considerable lag when there's a lot going on.

Paranoia

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Feb 2, 2014
    How much have you used Wi-Fi, then? I've been using it for a couple months now and I've noticed considerable lag when there's a lot going on.

Hmm.. I only experiance lag when playing download play with more than 2 people, Bomberman is a fun game though...

But I never have got any lag when playing Metroid Prime Hunters, Or tetris, ahwell maybe it's your internet?

Yoshistar64

Kanrinin-saaannnnnn!!!
    Years
    The graphics in D/P Pokemon are new and awesome, nothing any of us should be whining about.

Wi-fi in D/P Pokemon will be awesome, too. Perhaps it wiil have one of the best Wi-fi capabilities in the history of DS Wi-fi.

Last time I checked in Nintendo.com, 9 DS's sell a minute.

acrof

Power isn´t enough!
    Years
    Then you go to a very sad school. DS is much more popular than PSP.
    I hate my country, seriously.
    Well the whole country LOVE soccer, and I don´t , so people look at you as if were an alien or smth like that.:cross-eye

And if your school is sad because 1 in 5 have a DS, well in my school I´m the only one who have a DS.:(

Ok, back to the topic!
    I don't see any benefit from a 3D battle - in the example of Stadium, Stadium 2, Colosseum and XD, the battles in those games are not only unexciting, but they're awkwardly slow. Adding frames to attacks would also mean drawing a lot more sprites into the game - could add more time as well, waiting for a Blastoise to open its cannons before watching water blast out of them. I think the attacks (especially since Ruby and Sapphire) are slow enough - Bliksem suggests turning off battle scenes, and I can see people doing that rather than waiting.
    The reason that pokemon battle are so slow in these game is the constant description of the attacks and annoying "press A" to go through them.
    In other RPG games you simply choose the attack and enjoy it´s animations, that don´t take long to end.
    And even without these some people who turn off the battle scenes just want to train their pokemons, so they should introduce a "TURBO SPEED IN BATTLE" option in the menu.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    Hmm.. I only experiance lag when playing download play with more than 2 people, Bomberman is a fun game though...

But I never have got any lag when playing Metroid Prime Hunters, Or tetris, ahwell maybe it's your internet?

MY INTERNET IS JUST FINE. I'm sick of getting that answer...

Xylitol

*Insert pun here*
    Years
    It seems like I go to a very sad school too, as two of my classmates own a PSP and there are many others in other classes. Me and my friend are the only ones I know that own a DS.

On topic, I think the graphics are good, as the 2.5D of the overworld looks awesome and some of the battle attacks have a 3d effect to them.(like Hidden Power)

Back