• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Developing] Gwengardia Apocryphe [Last Update: PA System, BLAS System and Mission System amazing videos!]

Alkaiser

Superhero
Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Aug 1, 2014
    Gwengardia Apocryphe [Last Update: PA System, BLAS System and Mission System amazing videos!]

"Who am I? Neither humar or Pokemon. Just a stand alone complex. Lost in this mass society. A lone avenger... Is that to be my fate?"

Project Name:
    Gwengardia Aprocryphe

Language:
    Spanish and English.

Game Director and Story Writer:
    Alkaiser*

Main Code Scripter:
    Polectron**

Game developed in RPG Maker XP, using a mod version of Pokémon Essentials 13​

*Also called The Doctor and DeathHand in other forums.
    ** Also called Buzzo or Retro cat in other forums.

Project History:

First of all, this is not our first Pokemon fan-game project. We've already worked together in a project named Gwengardia Chronicles but because of our lack of experience we did not really succeed in our effort. The game was cancelled but just because we decided to use the experience adquired to start a brand new project, code named Project Apocryphe. Now presented to you as Gwengardia Apocryphe.

This project is ment to be a complete reboot of the "Pokémon" universe. No "Pokémon" in the title, this is the story of a far away land named Gwengardia, where humans lived long time ago alone in the world. Then, magical creatures, named Pokémon, came from the north in order to ease men's solitude. More in the plot later on this post.

Gameplay Mechanics:

Gwengardia Apocryphe is like no other Pokémon game. Is an open-endend non-linear JRPG adventure. In order to make it possible, there are tons of new scripts we had to create from scrach. Thanks to Polectron for that, an amazing programmer and game designer. All the scripts will be completly public. We are even planning on releasing a mod of Pokemon Essentials (Called maybe Gwengardia Essentials xD) with our scripts, just for anyone who wants to create a game with similar mechanics.

About the gameplay mechanics, here they are:

- No random encounters. You start a battle when your characters bumps into a Pokémon! Just like in modern JRPGs. Imagine for example the Tales of series, or the Mother games. THIS FEATURE IS COMPLETED ALREADY!!!!

- Level Adjust System. Is not auto-level... Well, sort of. Wild Pokémon and trainers change levels depending of the power of the player team. But they don't change to the levels of the player, instead we do a calculation based on the medium level of the more powerful Pokémon on the player team and a Base Level characteristic whic the designer can customize for every foe. This way some enemies may be always weaker than the player, ideal for quick and easy grinding, and others may be always more powerful, so more dangerous. For some areas the desinger may decide a max level, and the foes in that area will not be updated beyond that level, no matter the player's levels. The same can be done with min levels. THIS FEATURE IS COMPLETED ALREADY!!!!

- New EVs gaining system. This feature is in a very early stage, we will tell you more details about it soon.

- Complex Mission System. The player can undertake quest from all over the game world and will be rewarded differently depending of the way he/she completes them. Essentialy, the more efficient you are, the better reward. THIS FEATURE IS COMPLETED ALREADY!!!!

- Week Days System. Days pases while you travel from an area to another. Not implemented yet. In development.

- Key Words System. Tha character can memorize key words and ask around towns for them, just like in the classic Final Fantasy II. Not implemented yet. In development.

- New menu desing. ALREADY IMPLEMENTED AS YOU'LL SEE IN THE VIDEO BELOW!!!

- Passive Abilities System. No more HM's. Now some Pokémon have default Passive Abilities that you can use to cut down trees, smash rocks, swim... Also move objects with telekinesis and read people's mind. Cool stuff. THIS FEATURE IS COMPLETED ALREADY!!!!

- Auto-save. ALREADY AT WORK!!!!

Video demostration on some gameplay aspects:

WARNING: GRAPHICS NOT FINAL. THE MAP IS JUST A BETA MAP FOR EXHIBITION PURPOURSES ONLY.​

Plot:

This game's plot is essentialy a hard sci-fi story. It is ment to be an adult representation of the Pokémon myths. I don't want to bore you with a wall of text about the game's world history... That and the original text is in spanish and is veeeeery loooooong... So, for now, I will make a summary for you:

- The story takes places in Gwengardia, a land divided in four regions. Every region works on the production of expecific goods for the state. At the age of 18, all citizens must answer to a text in order to determinate in with region they shall work for the rest of their lives. The Enterprise is the organization that rules this world. They are trying to create the "Mahanon", a state of absolutly happyness for all it's inhabitants, in which Pokémon are never forced to fight, and all living beings live equally.
    - The regions are the following: Anemoi, Agnis, Arkhé and Apolo. The Enterprise controls the world from the metropolis Zigurat. And it's Sentinels (an special assault force) are the ones who maintain peace and order in their "perfect" society.
    - The Pokémon Trainers are an anarchism group who uses the Pokémon as weapons in order to overthrown the goverment of the Enterprise. They proclaim the superiority of human beings and worship the old gods.

Is a lot more complex than this, but is not a bad summary on the game world, I guess. I'll tell you more about the plot very soon, and will try to traslate the document where I described in detail every aspect on the world. If some of you know spanish, this is the original document:

Spoiler:

As I said... Long.

Well, that's all. Special Credits go to Shawn, Hek, Blaid, Tsuka and Alicia F.R. for the main character and Fakemon desing and tiles. Also, Maruno for developing Pokémon Essentials and Rafa for helping with the scripts.

Last edited:

Alkaiser

Superhero
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Aug 1, 2014
    Have you ever wanted to teach a pokemon some TM but you couldn't because of a HM you needed?

If the answer is yes this message can be very interesting for you.​

Passive Abilities:

Basicaly we have made what for the sake of gameplay Game Frak should have made many years ago… We have erased HMs forever. And in replace we have created the Passive Abilities System. Look at this picture:

Gwengardia Apocryphe [Last Update: PA System, BLAS System and Mission System amazing videos!]

You can see a new field under the Pokémon's image with the passive ability of this creature. In this case an Absol with Lumberjack, wich replaces Cut

Passive abilities are specific to diferent species of Pokémon. They aren't teached, they come already known by the Pokémon.. Why? Because it's more realistic as to have to teach some Pokémon like Lapras to swim, right? They don't take place as an attack. Your Pokémon will be able to cut trees or move rocks with no need of learning a new attack.

Here you have a video showing some PAs... The system is 100% functional.

Now, about the level control BLAS (Balanced Level ASignament), wich is also finished. This example map has a maximum level of 35 + Base level. Look how in the video below I change the levels of my party Pokémon and I battle with the same CorsolaLook how Corsola's level is always changing.

Last but not least, the Missions System is also finished. Here is a demo.

You can see available missions, accept them, reject them, ask for information about them and receive your reward after finishign them. In the demo the reward is always a potion, but remember that with our script you can set up different rewards depending on how good you developed your misión.

When all the systems are completed we will publish the Essentials mod.

PS: If you are wondering what will happen with Cut and the other HMs, they aren't going to disapear, maybe we put them in the game in form of TMs.

Tek

Years
  • Let me be the first to say that this game looks really good. The gameplay mechanics are especially appealing, since I'm a Fallout fan that is sick of random encounters in Pokemon.

This game is similar in some ways to the one I'm creating. I think I will be able to learn a lot from y'all's work, especially with the quest system. Even your short demo has got my mind brewing with ideas.

All in all, great stuff. And kudos on getting rid of HMs moves. GameFreak needs to pay a little attention I think, because it seems just about everybody is tired of those.

Alkaiser

Superhero
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Aug 1, 2014
    Mini-Update: First in-game image!!!

Tiles by Cope. Please make us know what do you think :D!

Tek

Years
  • Mini-Update: First in-game image!!!

Tiles by Cope. Please make us know what do you think :D!

That's a nice look. It's got the simplistic style of a Pokémon game, but it's not a carbon copy. I like the colors, too.

One small thing bugs me: the dark brown spots (on the border tiles between the dirt path and the grass) seem to make a line across the screen, because they're all in a row.

Something that looks especially nice are the darker grassy areas. It makes the lighter grass really "pop" and appear to be taller than the ground. Kudos to your tiler... can I borrow him? :D

Also, please tell me that the big flower is a Vileplume that pops out of the ground when you walk past it :]

Alkaiser

Superhero
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Aug 1, 2014
    Also, please tell me that the big flower is a Vileplume that pops out of the ground when you walk past it :]

Actually it was intended for decoration only, but now that you mention it, that may be a really nice touch!!

And yes, there some imperfections, the map was done quite quickly in order to show the new tiles. The mapping will be better done in future images (or I'll at leaf try xD).

Happy to hear you like the colors, we wanted this area of the game world to look bright, a region in perfect harmony with nature in contrast with the bigs industrial cities in the center of the world (we hope to these soon enough!). The tiler truly did a great job with this sheet, we are glad to have him helping.

Thanks for commenting!

Years
  • Cool concept if you want I could help you with grafic battle for pokemon like pokemon x/y . Give me a PM :)

Years
  • Also, please tell me that the big flower is a Vileplume that pops out of the ground when you walk past it :]

That would be pretty sweet!

I am also a big fan of your Passive Abilities. The whole teaching a water pokemon to swim was a bit ridiculous when you think about it. The passive make it much more realistic and the fact that it doesn't take up an attack spot is even better.

Back