• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Gym Leader/E4 Levels

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
Years
  • Well as in my youth from the originals, back then pokemon was not even half as popular as it is now. Gamefreak could have thought that the target audience was reasonably young, and that they weren't capable of being that good or smart enough to train their pokemon. Like I'd be surprised If the little kids that play can count higher than 100. Back to the point they probably thought that if they were including 2 regions to make kanto the hard one, but it evidently could be described as easier than Johto.
    Though I always wondered why Red's pokemon levels were well higher than the rest of the game. SO maybe they firstly intended to make Kanto hard but had a late change of heart.
    This is a thought correct if im wrong

Let's see how young you're talking about, most people were about 7 or 8 when they played G/S/C, so we could count to 100, any one who couldn't count to 100 would have to be under 5 and I've never heard of a kid who was younger than 5 with a Gameboy.

Years
  • I think they will raise the levels. The game seems to be more organized than it was last time. The graphics have improved, other characters were given more to do. They know what they're doing this time around and they have more room for data. They got experience by making the previous games. They know what's good and what's not. They will raise the levels. Trust me. They may keep the same Pokemon, but I think they will raise the levels. You can't compare GSC to the modern games because GSC were made a long time ago. You could, however, compare HGSS to DPPt, because they are in the same generation and both were made later on. The levels in FrLg didn't really need to be changed, because they were perfect the way they were. I'm sure they had the time to think about how they would make the levels work with two regions for HGSS. I'm sure they've learned from their mistakes. They may even block the path to Mahogany Town forcing you to go to Olivine and Cianwood just so they could raise the levels.

To be honest, my Pokemon were usually under leveled when I battled the gyms. Clair was really hard, Whitney's Miltank was hard, Jasmine was hard, Lance was hard. So many gym leaders/elite four members were hard because my Pokemon weren't leveled high enough and I ran from too many battles. I skipped the entire grass from Mahogany to Blackthorn. My starter was Chikorita at the time. I used repels on the way to Cianwood just so I wouldn't have to battle a Tentacool.

Tudj

HeartGold :P
    Years
  • Let's see how young you're talking about, most people were about 7 or 8 when they played G/S/C, so we could count to 100, any one who couldn't count to 100 would have to be under 5 and I've never heard of a kid who was younger than 5 with a Gameboy.

It was more of an unfunny joke, though i was like 6 (cant remember). And if you were 7 and 8, and that was game freaks target audience, your not gong to make it so hard that it takes so long for them to do, if the kids can understand well enough of whats going on (well of course the older people would be able to). Plus as much as they need to redo the levels, they shouldn't overdo it as with speculation of more places it would be difficult to not go way to high at a certain point in the game.
    Anyways they will most likely raise the levels so you don't finish the game in a few days, although in the demo they pokemon seemed awfully weak(even though it will most likely be changed as its a demo). So with most people i seriously hope they raise the levels.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Well as in my youth from the originals, back then pokemon was not even half as popular as it is now. Gamefreak could have thought that the target audience was reasonably young, and that they weren't capable of being that good or smart enough to train their pokemon. Like I'd be surprised If the little kids that play can count higher than 100. Back to the point they probably thought that if they were including 2 regions to make kanto the hard one, but it evidently could be described as easier than Johto.
    Though I always wondered why Red's pokemon levels were well higher than the rest of the game. SO maybe they firstly intended to make Kanto hard but had a late change of heart.
    This is a thought correct if im wrong

Actually Pokemon was at the peak of it's popularity in the Generation I era

Years
    • Seen Sep 28, 2009
    I beat Red even though all my Pokemon were lower levels than his, with a couple nto even at 50, and two of those not even at 40...the big traienrs do need a level up I'd say.

Tudj

Years
  • Actually Pokemon was at the peak of it's popularity in the Generation I era

Whoa, I haven't got the best memory, didn't know that, but thats a little odd it was popular at its first releases.

Anyway at least hopefully back then they only had a basic knowledge of what levels the pokemon should of been, and didn't know as well as they know now.

Anyway agreeing with malchick not only the level of the pokemon but the stats need to rise aswell, as my pokemon were at least 10 levels weaker then his and i still beat him easily

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • So, two regions has it's bad sides too... But why can you use your best pokémon in Kanto. I think it's better to leave you're good leveled pokémon to Box. In Johto you need Badges to make you're pokémon better leveled but in Kanto you need those only for Mount Silver. I think there could be man who says: "You can't come to Kanto with those pokémon, you need to pick lower level pokémons so you can come to here". Then Kanto Gym Leaders could have lower leveled pokémon and you have those too. When you're battling against Red, he hasn't 100lvl Pikachu and you have good leveled pokémon that you have caught from Johto and from Kanto and leveled in there.

Much text... I hope someone reads this, I used time to write this...

That's actually not a bad idea....You're being forced to bring only your weakest pokemon to Kanto, allowing the Kanto Gym Leaders to be weakened to their RBY levels and giving you a bigger pool of high-levelled pokemon to choose from when it comes time to take on Mt. Silver and Red.

Tudj said:
    Anyway agreeing with malchick not only the level of the pokemon but the stats need to rise aswell, as my pokemon were at least 10 levels weaker then his and i still beat him easily

uhh...Pokemon's level-up and stat mechanics deon't work like that...the only way to control a pokemon's individual stats independently from its level is the fiddle with thier DVs, but that will only make a difference of I believe 31 points at lv.100, not very significant...

Tudj

Years
  • uhh...Pokemon's level-up and stat mechanics deon't work like that...the only way to control a pokemon's individual stats independently from its level is the fiddle with thier DVs, but that will only make a difference of I believe 31 points at lv.100, not very significant...[/QUOTE]

Yer Im in the dark here I was just guesing/suggesting but I got it wrong :(

シルバー

Γ Чεr ςcreαm is βut a drəαм х
    Years
  • The Elite Four should be raised, I though originally when I started the game that there would have been two Elite Fours. I was disappointed by how easy they were. I am hoping they won't be as hard as FRLG were. I had difficulty with them.

Years
    • Seen May 29, 2016
    The Elite Four should be raised, I though originally when I started the game that there would have been two Elite Fours. I was disappointed by how easy they were. I am hoping they won't be as hard as FRLG were. I had difficulty with them.
    I had no problem the first-time league, and the enhanced league was very comfortable to train Pokemons at.

I hope they will raise the levels, and I bet they'll make an enhanced league at some point in the game.

Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2011
    my opinion:
    (.) .= highest level pokemon in gym/E4 member

1st Gym-(15)
    2nd Gym (23)
    3rd Gym (27)
    4th Gym (34) *cough*miltank*cough*
    5th Gym (36)
    6th Gym (40)
    7th Gym (43)
    8th Gym (49)
    1st E4 (54)
    2nd E4 (57)
    3rd E4 (58)
    4th E4 (60)
    Champ (63-65)

Years
  • I definitely want to see some improvements in the level of the Gym in HGSS. though I shouldn't be talking because somehow I was still underleveled when I got to Claire on my Crystal BUT BESIDES THE POINT. For Falkner, put his Pokemon at least level 12-14, like the other first Gym Leaders, and go from there. Hopefully, this would put Lance's Dragonites (if he still has the same team) at least at Level 55.

The Kanto definitely need to have theirs up'd as well. I probably gained about 4-5 levels storming through all the gyms in total. Would be nice to gain more than that, so not too much training has to be put into training to beat Red afterwards. Maybe they'll have it so you can refight the Gym Leaders, and the Elite Four level goes up after the first time you beat it. -shrugs-

yea without the copy pokemon feature, im gonna have to try hard to beat red 0:

Sakura Rain

→Let's laugh at everything!
    Years
  • Johto's gyms need higher levels. Kanto's gyms need higher levels. The E4 needs higher levels. And the wild pokemon in Kanto don't need to suck so much. PLZ?

gregory_turner420

Trainer/Breeder
    Years
  • i think they should do like they did with diamond and have the pokemon some what challenging, and they should do what they did in frlg/pl, wen you go back to the e4 there pokes are considerably higher, and be able to challenge the gym leaders again after you finish kanto with there lvls and teams better and more challenging

Years
    • Seen Oct 12, 2009
    Yeah, the pokemon were really weak. It took forever to train. The only challenge was Red, and even that was a little easy.

Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2009
    Yeah, on my Gold version I beat the Elite Four with only my Thyphlosion (of course I used Full Restores but still...) I got to the League with him at level 74 or 75 (i don't quite remember but I think it was 74). So, yeah, they should put the levels higher... At least for the Pokémon League.

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2016
    Also, there should be a few more trainers in Victory Road. I actually can't remember any! (there were a few on the route before, but it's the cave that's the challenge.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • This idea of the Trainers, Gyms, and Elites even the wild Pokémon having higher levels than before has been speculated on since it was known remakes were going to be released. Though, I personally have a feeling the levels may be increased to a higher extent than before in Gold, Silver, and Crystal. The gyms, both exterior and interior have gotten a revamp in look and color. So, with this being said I wouldn't expect Nintendo to leave the leaders of each Gym nor the Elites for the most part untouched. Not to mention, later games since the second generation have had a rise in diffuculty when compared and to keep up with that streak I would expect the change in levels and challenge of the game.

Although, if levels were to stay the same as the originals, then I wouldn't be surprised to see a called upon rematch after defeating the Elite the first time. Even if the levels were risen at the start, I would still expect a rematch afterwards with the addition of the newer generation of Pokémon, such as what was done in FRLG. So, pretty much I think there will be a change for the Gyms and Elites, but we'll have to wait and see.

Leader Soulja Boy

Batesville Gym Leader
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Dec 16, 2011
    Jasmine and Pyrce

Should Jasmine's Pokemon be weaker?
    She is the 6th Gym Leader and Pyrce is the 7th, yet her Pokemon are of higher level than Pryce.

Jasmine's GSC team
    Two level 30 Magmenites and a level 35 Steelix.

Pyrce's GSC team
    Seel level 27, Dewgong Level 29, Piloswine Level 31

Back