• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Happy Birthday, Sapphire!

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Happy Birthday!

We all know and love Sapphire, from the Ruby/Sapphire arc of Pokemon Special. And it's her own special day today, as she turns...well, who knows? We all know Pokemon characters are ageless. So today, let's celebrate with Sapphire Birch, the spunky daughter of Professor
    Birch.

Some History

Sapphire was a young girl at some point, as we all were, and grew up as the girliest of girls. She loved wearing dresses, and played all the time with a little boy. Unfortunately, they were attacked by a Salamence, which made Sapphire lose her girlishness and vow to become stronger.

Fastforward to the Ruby/Sapphire arc, and she has grown to be quite the...character, wearing only leaves and attacking as if she's a wild Pokemon. She has devoted herself to training and researching Pokemon for her father, and scoffs at Ruby's plans to become a top Coordinator. She sets off on her 80-day journey there, intent on becoming the Champion.

And the rest? Read the manga! :P

Discuss!

• What did you think of Sapphire in general?
    • Was she too tomboy-ish?
    • How did you feel about the girl seeming "stronger" than the boy in this arc?
    • Do you prefer her attitude towards life as a child or as an...older child?
    • How do you feel about her "relationship" with Ruby?

Feel free to talk about anything you'd like, though. :3​

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    Happy birthday indeed!

What did you think of Sapphire in general?
    Sapphire is one of my favorite girls from the Special Manga. Her typical mannerisms, especially with the leaves, were entertaining, and Ruby's reactions were priceless as he would furiously make another set of clothes. What a doll.

Was she too tomboy-ish?
    That's one of her promising features! And she had a reason to be a tomboy. It definitely set her apart and made her a prominent character.

How did you feel about the girl seeming "stronger" than the boy in this arc?
    Just... neutral. It was really fun to read, that's all I can say. Oh and how she belittles contests were also a joy.

Do you prefer her attitude towards life as a child or as an...older child?
    Her attitude as a child was very carefree, girly, and bubbly. All of which are nice features, but I still prefer the older version. It's stubborn, mean, fun, and notably interesting.

How do you feel about her "relationship" with Ruby?
    Well, opposites attract they say. It was a fun filled relationship, resulting in arguments and sweet drama. As for like a relationship beyond "just friends", I consider it canon. Though I was a bit disappointed in the Battle Frontier arc because of Ruby's girly-ness and lacking the guts to actually take their relationship to the next level.

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2013
    Aww, I miss her birthday:(
    Sapphire! She really is my favorite female Pokedex Holder! Followed closely by Lady Berlitz

Among all 'Haruka' characters, Sapphire is unique. Her tomboyish behavior and demeanor really fits with her appearance. This also make sense since her father, Prof. Birch are also have outgoing personality.

Was she too tomboy-ish
    Or course not! that tomboyish feature of her are her main charm! It will never too tomboyish for me.

I did not see that as problem. It might be quite refreshing. There are any other anime and manga were the girl are stronger than the boy.

I prefer her attitude as an older child. Although it quite cute when see her back to her younger self where she was very girly.

Its a very contrast relationship. They really fitting each other. Although its kinda disappointing since Ruby doesn't have the courage to make clear of their current relationship.

At least, let me redeem myself by spreading some Sapphire fan art!
    Spoiler:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Oh my god that last one is incredibly adorable. I have to agree that Sapphire is one of my favorites as well, she really has that independent streak which I loooove. And I like it when relationships are canon, because I don't like random shipping but I think the pictures are cute! x3

Centiflora X

Thread Killer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2011
    Not tomboyish enough, if you ask me.

I was initially attracted to the series by the prospect of a stronger-than-male-protagonist female protagonist. It went downhill after that.

I like her independence better.

It's not going to last long if it existed in RL.

Back