• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Has anybody ever made fun of you for liking Pokemon?

Pikachukid

Conquest needs a sequel
    Years
    At my old school almost everyone I knew knew that I played pokemon but at my new school hardly anyone knows that I play pokemon. Looking at my social life at this new school I'm kind of a loner. Most of my friends are freshman and I'm a junior so there's hardly anyone to talk to so that might be another reason why hardly anyone knows I plays it.

SkyBlue

I'm in love...with Ash!
    Years
    It's not my love of Pokemon in general that I've been teased (though I have been called Pookachu a few times), but my crush.

See, it's Ash Ketchum, and people mispronounce his name on purpose! Sometimes, I get so mad I punch them really badly!

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
    Nope. The only people I'm open about my liking of Pokemon are my close friends. I'm not stupid to choose friends who judge you because of what you like. They just accept it, sometimes chat about it to me, and make light jokes. Nothing insulting though.

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2016
    Nope, everyone in my class still likes it (High school) they even bust out there old GBC and bring link cables to battle.

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
    Years
    I don't really have "friends" in real life, but the people I talk to are cool with Pokemon, and a lot of them play it. :3
    There are two guys in my study hall that caught me on this forum and have been taunting me about it, but I don't care what they think~

There are also two guys that have a little drive-by conversation with me everytime I pass through the hallway:

Them: "Hey Wilson, you like Pokemon?"/"Hey Wilson, you like Pikachu?"
    Me: "Yeah"
    Them: "You're gay."/"Queer."

xD Classic.

I'm pretty open about my love for Pokemon, though. :P

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Yeah.. well, not in years.

Back in 1998 there were some kids in my class who made fun of Pokemon and anyone who liked it. Turns out the leader of their hate group secretly had a book full of Pokemon cards, and never missed the show in the mornings/afternoons. Haha.. of course, once my friend and I found this out, we didn't tell anyone. We should've though.. >D

Kristine

Pokemon Addict Since 1998
    Years
    People make fun of me for playing Pokemon, but just as many people make fun of me for playing WoW and the Sims. I'm a nerd and proud of it. :P

Technical

Professional Slowpoke • • »
    Years
    • Seen Dec 22, 2009
    I don't usually tell others of my obessesion with Pokemon unless they ask. Every now and then though, someone just has to go and give me the lip and chuckle, but it honestly doesn't matter to me.

It's one of the things I love and some people just have nothing better to do with their simple lives apparently then troll and hate all over someone else's hobbies/likes/and or lifestyles. ; ) They waste so much time over it, and for the ones that think it's humorous, well, I am not laughing. Not seeing the humor?

Maelstromk

The Dead Philospher
    Years
    yes, but that's because they just don't understand that I only play the games.
    When people think pokemon they tend to think about the ENTIRE phenonina surronding the first time it became popular in the late 90's. So when they here I'm playing Pokemon they just assume that I also watch the show, play the cards, and own all the posters..lmao.
    Some people are just old fashioned and consider it a waste of time, which is fine because it's their opinion.
    One of my friends made fun of me because of it, and I just simpily explained it's just like playing your favorite zelda, I'm in no way obbsessed, I just play the game because i enjoy it. I still get one liners from him when I play it in front of him, but if I'm not playing it he completly forgets.
    The rest are just gangsters who would still make fun of me because I'm wearing a sonic t-shirt

DarkChariardX

The master of Fire pokemon
    Years
    well i havent really been tormented for loving it, my friends just joke around and say, haha nerd or somthing, but they are just joking. nobody in my area really cares either way, because in new york people dont care what you do becaus they are too concerned with their own lives in the hustle and bustle of the big city. in my school kids dont torment me because im really strong and im in the military (1st sergeant) so they cant make fun of me (oh and im not in the real military im only a cadet in J.junior R.reserve.O.officer.T.training.C.corps JROTC!!) but yeah everybody has their likes and dislikes, even if someone did taunt me for my liking of pokemon, i could care less, it wont effect my life, and it deffinatley wont change pokemon for me :D

ShieldWolf27

18 year vet
    Years
    I'm quite open about my love for Pokemon. It's always been something I've loved since a little kid. I'm 20 years old and my fiance, who I thought would laugh at me, enjoys it too. What a perfect match I've found!

I was teased in freshman and sophomore year for it. But after that, it was the cool "retro" thing and the t-shirts and games started resurfacing. Hypocrisy and conformity at it's finest. People who teased me for it, ended up playing it again.

Sad thing is, I've too poor, I've never played anything outside Sapphire.

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2017
    Back when the anime first started airing, and some people in my place used to watch it, I would let them know that I watched it too.
    Later on, when those few stopped watching because of bullies, I still used to watch.

... ...I was viciously made fun of. Ever since that day, I kept it a secret and refuse to tell someone that I STILL love it to this day after SO many years, unless I trust that someone a lot with my feelings.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    I can't recall ever getting teased at for liking Pokémon, but if I did it would have been years ago. Though, now people usually know what I like, including Pokémon, and they take no big deal in it. If they do, I usually pay no attention, because most likely when they were younger and Pokémon had now came out they were into it too.

...Plus, everyone had their own hobbies and this is mine, take it or leave it, you know?

Giraffes? Giraffes!

ラヴィ・ヘッド
    Years
    Nope, not once have i been made fun of or insulted for liking Pokemon. I'm pretty clear I'm a fan of it to, considering I own all the movies :D

B_B

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2009
    i don't think any of my friends now knows that i play pokemon lol but serious, whats wrong with pokemon lol

Back