• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Has anybody ever made fun of you for liking Pokemon?

Ayselipera

Nahh I don't bother telling anyone. For me its just better left unsaid.

gigapoodle

I'm Ron Burgundy?
    Years
  • I've told a few other friends who are hardcore Pokemon lovers. Mostly I'm closet though, mainly after an incidient after some kid on my bus taunted said friends for playing it. They didn't know I played too, so I escaped, but whenever Pokemon is brought up now, I usually just shut my mouth.

Last edited:

Cebalrai

Your Burmy Buddy!
    Years
  • Oh come on guys, Pokemon is totally "retro" now. It's hip. It's nostalgic!

Pretty much every single one of my friends knows I play Pokemon. Besides if anyone gave me any lip, I'd give 'em a taste of my glove. Wuh-SLAP!!

rockman0

I still claim Luxray!
    Years
  • Nope, no one teases me about it. I've actually converted a few people (i sound like it's a religion) but when i was in elementary and middle school, everyone played so no one can really say anything.

Pokeyomom

Hoenn no you didn't...
    Years
  • Yeah, usually by girls. Not so much guys. My brothers do, but they're just trying to act "mature." I don't care.

In class today, I showed someone Serebii.net and showed them the graphics for Heart Gold and Soul Silver. The girl in my group laughed. (I don't know if it was AT me or not. Probably was, but whatever.) The guy said it was awesome. (Sincerely. He wasn't being sarcastic.)

Those cruel women:D Forget them;) I noticed alot of you are "closet" Pokemon fans. Tsk tsk:pirate: Don't be ashamed to be yourselves!

I agree with Cebalrai- if anyone gives you lip, tell them to pour themselves a nice tall glass of shut the h{ll up!

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • My close friends know that I do, and sometimes we talk about the old days (since they don't really know the new Pokemon). But I was playing SoulSilver on my long bus ride home the other week, and my Ruby was sticking out of the bottom of my DS. So this dude asked me what I was playing and he asked if it started with a P. I could tell where it was going, so I just said, "The joke got old ten years ago, so you can just shut up." He left me alone after that.

I even have Pokemon cards on my binder. No one says anything because they all know that I'm packed full of "I'll mess you up if you say something".

Last edited:

Munch Dog

Growlithe!
    Years
  • My friends know that I still play it, and a few of them even play it themselves. Anyone else that sees me playing it doesn't really care, they'll just say "Is that pokemon?" and after I say yes they don't say anything else.

c3rad

Grass-Type user
    Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2012
    In 4th grade I was made fun of for it, but most of my friends played it too so we sorta just shut them out.

Nowadays we put old pokemon cards on our binders, and we even had a contest with our R/B/Y games.

Caelus

Gone
    Years
    • Seen May 26, 2013
    I used to get made fun of simply because they assumed it was only for little kids when they were only referring the anime, not the games.

Now though I like to keep it a secret, but in my first period class a friend of mine looked up Pokemon stuff and the kids around us started to discuss it, so I'm assuming it's more accepted nowadays then when I started school.

Still, I don't like talking about me liking it unless someone else mentions liking it.

Umbrachu

Wants a cookie.
    Years
    • Seen May 31, 2021
    Well, when I was in 4th grade, no, because it was pretty "in" then. Now, around here at least, it's definitely not. I'm kind of closeted. If someone walked into my room they would know immediately, though. :D

Reading this thread gets me upset at the fact that there are so many asshats who pick on people who have different interests. What's the world with people who only like what they're "supposed" to like? Awful, that's what.
    I hereby claim to come out of the closet as a Pokefan and not hide from the awesomeness that is Pokemon. :D

Haz

Haz ya seen my hack?
    Years
  • Well, a few of my closest friends and family knows that I do play Pokemon. I don't genreally go out and say I do play Pokemon, but on the net I do. A random Youtube troll called me a Pokemon Nerd because I worked at McDonalds and like Pokemon (duh). I responded by saying that I wasn't a nerd and he should grow up, but then my good friend DeckuZoru (he's on here, look him up!) defended me and the guy got his account cancelled :D Sucked in I say!

Greeeny

Yes, that's three E's.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2011
    Well I'm seventeen now, so yeah.

I don't watch the anime (if you can call it that) but I play the games, love the games, in fact they're the only games I play apart from the occasional Call Of Duty when I feel like blowing some heads off, which usually comes after the part where people make fun out me playing Pokemon. xD

I don't see it as a silly childish game though, I see it as your typical RPG, not only that but it's my childhood, I grew up around Pokemon games and recently I picked up the old Gameboy and got back into it, and I'm glad I did.

Monzae

Poison Technician
    Years
  • You know what? I'm a female and I'm the most Pokemon obsessed person in my town, most likely, and I'm very open about the fact that I love it. I couldn't be more proud of such an awesome hobby/interest. :)

Back