• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Has anyone noticed..?

Years
  • ...That out of 4 Generations so far, three of which have started with rock-type gyms? The exception being G/S/C. Are they trying to get you to chose water or grass type starters?

RHCP

||Sweetie Belle~
    Years
  • Maybe thats just the order they go in??? It still wouldn't put people off fire pokemon. You can always catch a grass/water pokemon on the way (There seems to be lots in the wild, up to the first gym)

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
  • I suppose you could say that, if in the last two generations the fire starters weren't part fighting. It is an interesting observation, though... wonder why they do it?

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
  • Actually it's to make it easy for the game since all the starters are good against the first gym(Charmander learns metal claw in fr/lg)

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
  • I never noticed this! Rikudaman has given a logical explanation to this as to why all first gyms are rock type.(I guess he gives logical answers to everyone lol :D).It could also be that rock(sometimes with dual ground type) type are easy to counter as they are weak to a number of types.

Ayselipera

I have noticed that and it really annoys me. I wish they'd mix it up a bit more. Still though it doesn't turn me off from getting a fire type. Each game that had a Rock Type gym first also had a pokemon in the wild before that gym that was strong against Rock pokemon. Plus like other people have said, after Torchic and Chimchar evolve they learn fighting moves which is a big help.

Ryuzaki_Lawliet

Arctic Fox Lover =3
    Years
  • But then, the sinnoh changed. Normally 2nd gym is a water, but in DP it was grass? I started with fire. I had caught a Onix so the first gym was a little easier.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    I have never noticed this before, how interesting. Just probably to make the game easier in the beginning, or it could just be a raging coincidence.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • Probably because Rock type Pokemon do have the most weaknesses of them all, so they want new people to get the hang of it and not loser and throw the game out the window

:t354:TG

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2023
    Yeah... as others have said... the Rock Type has a lot of weaknesses, so it makes things easier for beginners...

At least this is what I would like to think (maybe Nintendo just has a thing for Rock types?)

Years
  • Yes, I've noticed. The second gen having flying type was probably the reason, because grass Pokemon were weak against it. They want the first gym to be easily beaten so newcomers don't say "Wahahhhh this game is too hard!!!" and then return it to gamestop the next day.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
  • Yes, I've noticed. The second gen having flying type was probably the reason, because grass Pokemon were weak against it. They want the first gym to be easily beaten so newcomers don't say "Wahahhhh this game is too hard!!!" and then return it to gamestop the next day.

Actually in second Gen you could go back to Kanto and fight the gym leaders there and it would be kinda dumb to have to rock gym leaders in one game, also in GenI Charmander was weak to the first 2 gyms so Chikorita was weak to the first 2 gyms in GenII but you shouldn't have trouble with Falkner thanks to Razor Leaf at lvl 8(55 power and high critical ratio) and you also get reflect at a low level and posion powder

Last edited:
    Back