• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Have you ever noticed...

n64benowitz177

Is The Man In The Mirror.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2012
    Has anyone else ever noticed that at the beginning of each new pokemon season Ash's pokemon are mysteriously weak or is this just me?

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
    If you're talking about entering a new region, then yeah. It's always been a flaw. I mean if Pikachu has gone through three whole regions already, it would be a lot higher leveled than the beginning trainers at the beginning of a region. o_o

solaris knight

Phantom ESP'er
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2013
    Pikachu should be capable of toasting all of his opponents alone by now. Has Ash been draining his batteries when we aren't looking?

Star★Seeker

→s t y l e ;
    Years
    You mean like how Pikachu was able to beat a Regice with one hit and lost to an Elekid? Yeah... I heard Ash crushes Pikachu's skull before going to a new region to achieve this weakened state. Thank God he does that, if he didn't
    we've had an unveliable amount of 'Aim for the horn' variations. xD

Inferno1

Pokemon Trainer
    Years
    God i hate when this happens it bothers me so much especially when pikachu beat regice and then lost to elekid god it pissed me off

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
    Really dunno why they do that! I had noticed it sometime back but really its very annoying! I think that pikachu should be at minimum lv 80-90 now and should be able to KO any weak pokes! (darn that elekid!)

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Just to keep kids interested. Really it's not a good anime beyond the Kanto saga.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    You mean like how Pikachu was able to beat a Regice with one hit and lost to an Elekid? Yeah... I heard Ash crushes Pikachu's skull before going to a new region to achieve this weakened state. Thank God he does that, if he didn't
    we've had an unveliable amount of 'Aim for the horn' variations. xD

Not to mention that Pikachu defeated Regice ALL by itself (which marked the first time that Pikachu even beat something like a Legendary, or heck, even a pseudo-legendary, for that matter, all by itself without any help whatsoever.). I mean, with Drake's Dragonite and Tyson's Metagross, Pikachu didn't exactly beat it by itself (some of Ash's Pokemon had already worn each out by the time Pikachu fought each of them each time), so to have Pikachu tie with an Elekid (who was implied to be either a relatively new capture or a reserve pokemon, seeing how it had evolved) is just ridiculous, and it only gets worse when...

SPOILERS AHEAD!!!!!!

Spoiler:

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
    so to have Pikachu tie with an Elekid (who was implied to be either a relatively new capture or a reserve pokemon, seeing how it had evolved) is just ridiculous, and it only gets worse when...

If it was a reserve then it could still be powerful like Charizard or Bulbasaur.

Spoiler:

You didn't watch both episodes did you? I know you didn't but bear with me. Pikachu took a tremendous amount of damage from Magmortor as well as being burned and it was already shown that Ursaring is a powerhouse on Paul's already powerful team. Knowing Paul, he trained Ursaring to be a powerful member on his team. Also, Paul used tactics against Ash in battle and Ash doesn't use planned tactics regularly.

WildEagle

Call me, Your Royal Freshness
    Years
    Has anyone else ever noticed that at the beginning of each new pokemon season Ash's pokemon are mysteriously weak or is this just me?

Actually, In my point of view Ash's Pikachu isn't weak or powered down (well maybe a little) but Paul has been travelling through regions just like Ash. We can speculate that Elekid went through was intense training to gain it's strength (well you know Paul and his uber training).

Another point is that Pikachu isn't really being used that much, if you watch the dubs/subs Ash is using his Sinnoh capture Pokemon more than Pikachu. Since Pikachu has been with Ash in every region it's fair to give Pika some brake. I'm actually expecting Pikachu to be in full power by the Sinnoh League.

And to reply to what weedle_mchairybug spoiler:

Spoiler:

ReyRey-Pyon

THREAD KILLER
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Feb 6, 2015
    They kinda "reset" i mean, they have alot of experiance, but if they didn't reset, they'ed be pretty darn epic, and overpowerful, and he might have even acheived the goal of "pokemon master"

and when that happens, the series goes poof 8O
    So they need to keep every region a brand new adventure, and experience

Johnny590

It's cute how you think I care
    Years
    If they didn't de-power Pikachu, people would eventually complain like we are doing now except they would say it's too powerful instead of us saying it used to be strong and gets reset at the start of every adventure.

Just think if Ash's pokemon were that powerful, he would finish his adventure in a few months and not a whole year, the usual time it takes for Ash to travel a whole region.

xD

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
    Did you guys ever think that there may be more than one person who travels around the world trying to be a Pokemon Master, or even that the Gym Leaders trained their Pokemon is well

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Did you guys ever think that there may be more than one person who travels around the world trying to be a Pokemon Master, or even that the Gym Leaders trained their Pokemon is well

Yes, I'm very well aware that there are more than one person travelling around the world trying to become a Pokemon Master, however, some of the losses that Pikachu has faced in Sinnoh were not really good. I mean, yes, the trainers he faced may be experienced, but that does NOT necessarily mean that his/her pokemon in his/her party are. I'm not even sure if Elekid was even caught before Sinnoh, since it bonded more with Paul than with Reggie (which, had it been a reserve pokemon, it certainly would have bonded with Reggie more than with Paul, adopting more of Reggie's personality traits, like Krabby/Kingler and Muk had bonded with Oak more than they did with Ash.), so Pikachu tying with a Pokemon that was supposed to be less experienced than it would be moreorless bad. Yes, it was using Barrier for most of the match. However, even Barrier has a limit as to how much power it can deflect. Take "Broly: Second Coming", for example, when the Family Kamehameha had managed to destroy Broly's Omega Blaster/Giant Meteor, Broly tried to use his Barrier to try and stop the Kamehameha from hitting him, and it didn't work, as it has become more powerful than the Barrier. I tended to think that Volt Tackle was similar to the Family Kamehameha in that instance.

Now, if the Volt Tackle was used against... oh... I don't know... MEWTWO's Barrier, or heck, 100% Arceus's Barrier (If it even has one), for that matter, then Volt Tackle would have been as effective as it was with Elekid's barrier in episode (meaning, not effective at all.).

I also felt that Pikachu did a poor performance at the Oreburgh Gym. I mean, He already beat the Battle Frontier (which, even without Brandon, was already far superior to any Gym Leader in question, and is heavily implied in both the games and the anime to be stronger than the Elite 4), yet he lost to Onix, when he already managed to take down is strongest Pokemon (remember, Cranidos is Roark's Star Pokemon). I mean, someone who already took down a Regice, much less the Battle Frontier, should be pretty difficult to beat, especially taking Gym Leaders into account (even IF the Battle Frontier brains weren't more powerful than Elite 4 Members, they are still more powerful than Gym Leaders by a significant amount), yet Pikachu was beaten pretty easily.

And anyways, it doesn't matter if the Gym Leaders trained their pokemon well, they still aren't really strong trainers.

Colbex

Cobalt Black Creator
    Years
    Let's face it, the anime has this tendency to play around with Pikachu's strength, changing it whenever, and when it's still weak, more than likely they'll do something random and let it win.
    (pikachu vs onix, pikachu vs rhydon, pikachu vs elekid... and my personal favorite pikachu and swellow vs lunatone and solrock. ._.)

WildEagle

Call me, Your Royal Freshness
    Years
    Yes, I'm very well aware that there are more than one person travelling around the world trying to become a Pokemon Master, however, some of the losses that Pikachu has faced in Sinnoh were not really good. I mean, yes, the trainers he faced may be experienced, but that does NOT necessarily mean that his/her pokemon in his/her party are. I'm not even sure if Elekid was even caught before Sinnoh, since it bonded more with Paul than with Reggie (which, had it been a reserve pokemon, it certainly would have bonded with Reggie more than with Paul, adopting more of Reggie's personality traits, like Krabby/Kingler and Muk had bonded with Oak more than they did with Ash.), so Pikachu tying with a Pokemon that was supposed to be less experienced than it would be moreorless bad. Yes, it was using Barrier for most of the match. However, even Barrier has a limit as to how much power it can deflect. Take "Broly: Second Coming", for example, when the Family Kamehameha had managed to destroy Broly's Omega Blaster/Giant Meteor, Broly tried to use his Barrier to try and stop the Kamehameha from hitting him, and it didn't work, as it has become more powerful than the Barrier. I tended to think that Volt Tackle was similar to the Family Kamehameha in that instance.

Bad example. Paul was prepare against Ash when he challenge him, during their first match. . Remember when he heard Ash saying a That's Volt Tackle. Paul immediately said "Volt Tackle tackle huh.." then when he saw the destroy mech of TR, he said "So that's a volt tackle.." And remember Pikachu is against a electric type, meaning Pika's electric moves won't work that good, hence that Elekid was able to absorb Pikachu's strongest move, his thunderbolt when he started spinning his arms. Then it came to worse Ash pull a risky move and called a Volt Tackle, but Paul, counter using protect, I don't know what barrier your talking about, but protect, deflects your attack in the anime or in games protects you from the attack, but Pikachu still takes the recoil damage from the Volt tackle, then repeatedly countering Elekid's brick break with Iron Tail, will be tiring. But remember it was tie.

Now, if the Volt Tackle was used against... oh... I don't know... MEWTWO's Barrier, or heck, 100% Arceus's Barrier (If it even has one), for that matter, then Volt Tackle would have been as effective as it was with Elekid's barrier in episode (meaning, not effective at all.).

Still there's a major different Barrier and Protect, barrier increase your defense. While Protects, protects you from the attack. So once again your logic is flawed. Because Elekid use protect to stop Pikachu's Volt Tackle, causing Pikachu to get the recoil damage.

I also felt that Pikachu did a poor performance at the Oreburgh Gym. I mean, He already beat the Battle Frontier (which, even without Brandon, was already far superior to any Gym Leader in question, and is heavily implied in both the games and the anime to be stronger than the Elite 4), yet he lost to Onix, when he already managed to take down is strongest Pokemon (remember, Cranidos is Roark's Star Pokemon). I mean, someone who already took down a Regice, much less the Battle Frontier, should be pretty difficult to beat, especially taking Gym Leaders into account (even IF the Battle Frontier brains weren't more powerful than Elite 4 Members, they are still more powerful than Gym Leaders by a significant amount), yet Pikachu was beaten pretty easily.

Well, the writers finally learn their lesson. Pikachu's only move in that battle the would effect Onix was his Iron Tail, and yes the writers learn their by not using an Electric type move. So basically, Pikachu was only down to his 1 move. Remember Screech? it lowers your defense, combine with a powerful move from Onix, and bearing the other damages Pikachu got, of course his going to go down.

And anyways, it doesn't matter if the Gym Leaders trained their pokemon well, they still aren't really strong trainers.

Really? then what's the point of picking the gym leaders if they're aren't going to give their opponent a good match? Take in to what Fantina said, Gym leaders are just like trainers, they seek to be get stronger when they're defeated. Remember some of the gym leaders used to be trainers to.

Replies are in bold letter.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Well, the writers finally learn their lesson. Pikachu's only move in that battle the would effect Onix was his Iron Tail, and yes the writers learn their by not using an Electric type move. So basically, Pikachu was only down to his 1 move. Remember Screech? it lowers your defense, combine with a powerful move from Onix, and bearing the other damages Pikachu got, of course his going to go down.

Whatever, they still really should have not tried to change the Electric rule seeing how we not only had it for quite some time, but to do it the Game's way makes it utterly pointless. I mean, yes, Ground Types do have an immunity to Electric types, but that DOESN'T mean that the same Immunity is guaranteed to be complete. I mean, if the Ground Pokemon is faced with a far more powerful Electric type attack than they are used to, then, Electric-immunity or not, they will still get damaged.

Think of it like Paper Mario's final battle (Yeah, I know, spoilers, but seeing how long it's been out, it won't matter, anyways). When Bowser was powered up by Kammy's machine, he used the Star Rod to make himself invincible again, Mario then tried to use the Star Beam to depower Bowser again, but it turns out that his souped up nature made him immune to the Star Beam's power. When the Star Beam was upgraded by a significant amount (resulting in the Peach Beam, named after the character partially responsible for the power up.), it became powerful enough to actually cancel out Bowser's immunity to the Star Rod.

Basically, regardless of what fans said about the whole controversy to Ground Types, I felt it was perfectly fine to keep the way Pikachu defeats Ground Types the way it is, and should not have been changed. If anything, it's the games that were flawed in that respect. Why couldn't they make it so that some Ground types who were vastly weaker than Electric Types would have their normal immunity useless.

Really? then what's the point of picking the gym leaders if they're aren't going to give their opponent a good match? Take in to what Fantina said, Gym leaders are just like trainers, they seek to be get stronger when they're defeated. Remember some of the gym leaders used to be trainers to.

Yeah, and TR were supposed to be trainers as well, and they most likely have been training Pokemon for far longer than Ash or Brock ever have, yet they ended up losing to pokemon where it would be impossible to lose to (For example, Koffing and Ekans, after beating up Pidgeotto, and negating Pikachu from the battle, had lost to a Caterpie, who not only was completely inexperienced at battling (heck, it's capture didn't even require any effort from Ash to capture him. All he did was throw the Pokeball, and poof, it's Ash's pokemon.), but was already weakened by a substantial amount by Pidgeotto's earlier attack), and thanks to that, they have a reputation both within the Fanbase and even the anime itself to be completely weak and pathetic trainers.

Plus, the Gym Leaders themselves also seem to be far too weak. If they truly were getting stronger, why is it that they aren't even beating inexperienced Pokemon, and in fact are losing to them more than they are winning, which I saw to be far too similar to what TR had to endure. In order for them to be stronger, they should be winning more against inexperienced pokemon than they are losing against them.

Before anyone mentions this, the only Gym Leader who was explicitly implied to be holding back in regards to his pokemon's full power is Giovanni, and that was only because he wanted to get his challengers overconfident before he unleashes "the big guns" (in other words, Mewtwo). Had Mewtwo not played a role, then he most CERTAINLY would have fought to the fullest extent of his and his Pokemon's Power (which, even without Mewtwo, is implied to be extremely powerful, due to his status as TR's Leader and how his followers looked up to them.)

Back