• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Have you ever wanted to ride your Pokemon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

liveitout

What? Where?
Years
  • If I had the skill and patience to hack a game, I'd add a feature where you could teach your Pokemon Ride and then ride it around the region. It would work just like the bike - it wouldn't give you any new abilities, it would just look really awesome.

I decided to try my hand at actually animating the idea.

Tauros
    Spoiler:

Camerupt
    Spoiler:

Mamoswine
    Spoiler:

The Red icons are from R/S/E, the Pokemon are from Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, both taken from The Spriters Resource.

I plan to do a lot more - from Dodrio to Entei. Unfortunately, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon has only a limited selection of animated Pokemon, so I might have to wait for a 3rd version to be released before I can finish.

I've never actually played PMD, so I might be animating these wrong. What do you think?

Last edited:

wee187

Beat 358/2 Days on 10/5/09
    Years
  • Me and RaikouRider have made RP's on Skype about riding Raikou before, and one of them got really long, ended up arond 8 chapters, 25 pages or so, but we discontinued it, on another forum.

-Smash

Lv.86 Pixel Artist
    Years
  • This is an awesome idea, I have even planned on doing this before, but never got to actually start, heh.

As for crticism, the trainer colors appear to be less saturated than the pokemon colors, which are bright and vivid, I'd suggest to blance them out a bit. The tauros side animation needs more smoothness btw.

EDIT: ..Wait, at first I thought you actually sprited them. :/
    This might get deleted soon.

Years
  • I plan to do a lot more - from Dodrio to Entei. Unfortunately, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon has only a limited selection of animated Pokemon, so I might have to wait for a 3rd version to be released before I can finish.
    1) All pokemon except Arceus have been in at least 1 Mystery Dungeon game.
    2) All pokemon have animations.
    3) There is already a 3rd Version. Red/Blue, Time/Darkness/Sky.

Tauros's animation could use a speed adjustment. It looks unnatural.

= GPR =

Birding Extraordinaire
    Years
  • This could probably be moved into the pixel projects section and can be made into a community project to ride every pokemon... that could be ridden...

Here's a start...
    RGR_no_bg_fin.gif

Side view of Gyarados!

liveitout

What? Where?
    Years
  • Me and RaikouRider have made RP's on Skype about riding Raikou before, and one of them got really long, ended up arond 8 chapters, 25 pages or so, but we discontinued it, on another forum.

I have only wanted to ride one Pokemon, and that is my shiny Metagross, Malybias.

Lucky for you guys, I have animated sprites for Raikou and Metagross. :) I'll add them to the list.

I think Raikou would buck like anything. Being treated like a pack horse would insult his dignity. xD

This is an awesome idea, I have even planned on doing this before, but never got to actually start, heh.

As for crticism, the trainer colors appear to be less saturated than the pokemon colors, which are bright and vivid, I'd suggest to blance them out a bit. The tauros side animation needs more smoothness btw.

Deleted? Why? The individual sprites aren't mine, but I did put them together (which required some pixelling) and animated them. Doesn't that count as an original contribution?

1) All pokemon except Arceus have been in at least 1 Mystery Dungeon game.
    2) All pokemon have animations.
    3) There is already a 3rd Version. Red/Blue, Time/Darkness/Sky.

Tauros's animation could use a speed adjustment. It looks unnatural.

I'm glad to hear that. Maybe Spriters Resources doesn't have a full database? I remember not being able to find a few species...

Do you mean the side animation, or all three? Should it be faster or slower? I spent ages fiddling with the height of Tauros' head in two frames (there are only three) and eventually decided to make him jump 6 pixels instead of 4. That might account for the jerkiness.

Last edited:

= GPR =

Birding Extraordinaire
    Years
  • This is an awesome idea, I have even planned on doing this before, but never got to actually start, heh.

If the sprites are going to be scratched or ripped... then this should stand, but again, i think this would probably end up in the projects section...

we would have to make significant changes to certain sprites to make them work... including changes to height, width, and even an entire size makeover... like waillord's pmd sprites are way too big... where as ponyta is too small...

liveitout

What? Where?
    Years
  • we would have to make significant changes to certain sprites to make them work... including changes to height, width, and even an entire size makeover... like waillord's pmd sprites are way too big... where as ponyta is too small...

I wouldn't mind if this was moved to the Projects section, although I was planning to only animate a couple of species.

Some Pokemon just aren't meant to be ridden - for instance, two-legged Pokemon, like Blaziken, or small Pokemon, like Nidoran. Most aquatic Pokemon don't even make sense on the land. I was going to animate them for Surfing on, with only their heads and backs above the water.

-Smash

Lv.86 Pixel Artist
    Years
  • Wait, I think I meant to say locked thread, not deleted, heh.

These are just basically sprites pasted onto others and animated, which I think is not entirely custom work, but edits, even if you pixeled.

It's a nice idea though, and it would go best being moved, yeah.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    These are just basically sprites pasted onto others and animated, which I think is not entirely custom work, but edits, even if you pixeled.

^That

On top of what -Smash said, most posts in this thread are either
    a) not up to Pixel arts Standards
    b) Completely off topic.

Besides I am almost CERTAIN that the Red from poke special's overworld was made by Coronis. Just checked, it is, considering you didn't credit him for it that's borderline sprite theft.

I'm gonna have to close this.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back