• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Have you read that book?" "Who has the time?" >_>

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Fiction tends to disinterest me unless it's my own, which I don't much put to paper. I used to read a lot of factual books; all I've done is replace them with things like Wikipedia, so I still do essentially the same thing.

Capris

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Mar 25, 2011
    I used to read all the time but nowadays unless it's for an assignment I don't. If I can get away with it I'll use sparknotes to avoid having to read the entire book.

I read a lot online though so that makes up for it I guess.

Ayselipera

I really like books, but it's getting me to start reading one that's the trick. Once I get in to it I'll read it till I'm done. Getting me to actually pick up the book is a challenge though. I'll tell myself, "Okay, I'm going to read tomorrow!" but then tomorrow turns into next week and it goes from there. So I do still read books just few and far between.

I always read the book when given a reading assignment. I feel really uncomfortable taking a book based test when I haven't read the book. I remember once I was just going to take notes off a website, but the last day before the test I got nervous and read the whole book in one night. I'm glad I did though. I really enjoyed it!

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    Nope... I never read. I didn't even read the required books in English class. (I still always got the highest score on the tests though. lol)

I don't even like reading manga. lol

Caelus

Gone
    Years
    • Seen May 26, 2013
    Besides what the English teacher wants us to read, I don't read much.

I read so much on the internet that I might as well be reading a long book, but books aren't as appealing as they were when I was little.

Years
    I really like books, but it's getting me to start reading one that's the trick. Once I get in to it I'll read it till I'm done. Getting me to actually pick up the book is a challenge though. I'll tell myself, "Okay, I'm going to read tomorrow!" but then tomorrow turns into next week and it goes from there. So I do still read books just few and far between.

I always read the book when given a reading assignment. I feel really uncomfortable taking a book based test when I haven't read the book. I remember once I was just going to take notes off a website, but the last day before the test I got nervous and read the whole book in one night. I'm glad I did though. I really enjoyed it!

I also did that once, but it was before I knew about Spark notes, so i read the whole book(around 140 pages) in 2 hours. And another time when I did use spark notes because I forgot we had a project. On both test I received above a 90.

Topic: I haven't read a book on my own in a long time.
    I generally do read my books for school. I have found out that I generally do like the books my school makes us read. My favorite is Frankenstein.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    As far as I'm concerned, the novel is a dead storytelling medium. The only conceivable reason to read one nowadays is if it's for a literature or humanities class.

Informative, reference, and educational books are a different thing altogether. I'll admit to having a small collection myself but whenever I'm in a bookstore, I just love grabbing a whole bunch and skimming through them. :P

Fire Heart

Reject Revolving Door
    Years
    I love to read, it is one of my most favourite things to do, you can be anyone or anything when you read a book. If i had to read a school book then i would, it doesnt bother me.

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    Thread title reminds me of an MSN conversation with a friend, except that wasn't really my initial reply. XD;

Do I read books? Honestly, only occasionally. The only books I read so excessively are my curriculum books. Can't go a day without them. Novels, I read once in a while. I know I should more often, but there are a few things that won't let me do that for the time being. Oh how I wish to sleep with a book in my hands.

Oh yes, I have done something like that for a school project. But I can positively say that I was only extracting knowledge from the sites I viewed, nor did I have the time to go through the whole book. It was only once though. I won't do that ever again. Promise.

Years
    I still read from time to time, though it takes a lot for me to actually start reading. I think this is more because my attention span utterly sucks, and if my mind starts wandering at all then I can't concentrate and no reading gets done. Which is sad, since I used to read books all the time.

Once I get started, however...I can go for a good amount of time before I get bored with it again.

As for school books, even though I've done things like barely read assignments and then hoped to pass just by listening to classroom discussions alone - I'd probably still grudgingly read the book if I had to write about it. >< Seems too risky to just go internet-searching in a case like that, especially if the teacher is familiar enough with the book to know if you've actually read it or not.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    I don't read much novel-style books at all, but it's more because of a lack of interest in fiction rather than anything relating to not having enough time. The last thing even remotely close to a book that I read was "The Motel in America" which is basically a history of the US lodging industry. I've never liked the books we've read in English class, and they usually put me to sleep.

What I do typically read:
    Income tax documentation
    Car repair/shop manuals
    Manga
    Hotel Directories
    Instruction manuals
    Road maps/atlases

In other words, nothing remotely similar to a novel.

olih

Who says you can't go home?
    Years
    I'm still addicted to books :) And If I got a school assignment, I'd just read the book.

Years
    • Seen Feb 24, 2011
    I love to read books, it inspired me to write my own stuff. I still read, and currently reading a book for our book report. :)

HinaBaby

#1 Spongebob Fan!
    Years
    I still read books usually when there's the teacher is not around and there's no one to teach us in that particular subject.

Captain Hobo.

Posting King
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2011
    I read some still and I like it. If I get a book report then, I will read it not look it up on the internet.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2024
    I read all the time, on the way to school, between classes, on the way home, before I go to sleep, in my free time, it's my favorite hobby. I suppose my situation is the reverse of most, I hated reading up until a few years ago, thought it was boring and used to think of it as a dead medium, but now that couldn't further from what I believe. It's a great way to dive into the stories of others and push along your imagination as you form mental pictures of what's going on in the narrative. Could perhaps even help you get a look into the mindset of the author if what's being written is inline with that person's thoughts.

The biggest goal I've got set out for my career is to become a published author one day and make a decent living from that. I don't want to become published simply because I enjoy writing, it's also because I do love to read and want to give the world more to enjoy. (that totally sounds less big-headed in my head)

Some of the replies in this thread honestly make me feel kinda bad, I really do wish more people could enjoy reading. Even if you're not a heavy reader, reading every once in a while is a great activity. I don't think it can ever really be considered a dead medium, perhaps the printed form (though I have an aversion to e-readers since I like amassing collections), but the concept of a novel is eternal. I know I bug people to read every now and then, no one ever really takes me up on it and that's always disappointing, but there are the very rare times I get someone into reading something and that makes me happy. I really do think the world could benefit from more people who see reading as something pleasurable.

So, yes, I read a lot. I'm a full-time college student with a heavy workload and I manage to enjoy reading most of the time. I typically go through a book in about two weeks, unless the subject matter is boring, which can be said for a few of my classes and the odd novel here and there that I've not liked. Suzanne Collins, Hammett, Trenton Lee Stewart, John Berendt and Cornelia Funke are my favorite authors and the people whose works I can never really grow tired of reading.

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
    I always try to read a little bit before I go to bed, whether it's a novel, short story or poetry. I like to read in my spare time, but sometimes life gets in the way. I don't read as much as I'd like to, though I absolutely love it.

Pokemon Trainer Touko

春野サクラ ♥
    Years
    I read every-day because our English teacher wants a book report from all of us every week and also because during maths class, I get to go home and I don't usually go on the computer so I read~ XD

Aspear

*pucker*
    Years
    I love to read. As great as TV and movies are, there's things that plain ol' words can just do better. ;o

Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2011
    I LOVE reading. I have to read every monday in school for AVID. So, if it is a book I'm really into, I take it home and read it as well.

Back