• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hello i got a question or two

Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2016
    hello, i was woundering if anyone is willing to give me some poke tips? im curently playing pokemon X that i got 1 year ago but gave up halfway trought so i restarted. I used to play pokemons since red/blue/yellow versions but other than names and abilityes of the pokemons up to silver version i have no idea what im facing :D

i was also woundering how the pokemon bank works and if i can transfer all pokemons i train and get in older versions red-blue-...-x,y to the new saphire and ruby versions? and the upcoming moon and sun?
    i was also woundering can i capture all previous pokes in poke X or do i need a few of the other games?
    (excluding the 3 starter pokes that are special for some version)

tyvm

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    Starting with your second question first, you can't currently use bank to transfer from RBY to any of the other games. There will be functionality to get Pokemon to Sun/Moon from RBY, once those games come out, but I doubt it will be applied to the gen 6 games (XY and Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire), and my guess is that the transfer will probably be one-way from RBY to gen VII. You can transfer Pokemon among any of the gen 6 games (X, Y, OR, and AS) using bank, however (though items won't transfer, and there are some megas in ORAS that are not in XY).

For your third question, I think you can catch all of the Pokemon (barring event-only Pokemon) if you have all four of the current-generation games (XY and ORAS). Otherwise, I believe you'll need to transfer Pokemon from the older games. However, you can also trade online for Pokemon you're missing, so only having a single version is no longer the barrier to Pokedex completion that it once was.

Back to XY: I think the newer Pokemon get to be easier to recognize the more you encounter them. You can use a Pokedex to find out info about what you're facing (e.g., Serebii.net or Bulbapedia can tell you about Pokemon), or you can just learn them as you go along. If you keep the Exp. Share turned on, you'll gain levels fairly easily, which should give you more leeway if you're having trouble figuring out what sort of Pokemon you're facing or if you want to try out more Pokemon on your team. (The best way to really learn about a Pokemon is to use it yourself, after all.) Just learn a few Pokemon at a time, and eventually you'll get there. Also, remember that a Pokemon's name and appearance are often clear clues of what type it might be, what attacks it might use, etc. (e.g., does it look like a fish? A ghost? A dragon?) As for things like abilities and natures, I wouldn't worry too much about them for a casual playthrough (you can learn more about them later if you want to breed a competitive team). Every Pokemon has two or three possible abilities, one of which is "hidden" (usually harder to find, and a little harder to pass down), and these affect how they may be used in battle. Natures raise and lower particular stats by 10% each, so try to match them to your Pokemon's abilities (e.g., a special sweeper may want to raise special attack or speed, and lower the attack stat that it isn't actually using).

Was there anything in particular you were having trouble with on your earlier playthrough of X and made you restart?

Fannie

Don't let my milk go lumpy
    Years
    • Age 32
    • UK
    • Seen Dec 31, 2016
    There will be functionality to get Pokemon to Sun/Moon from RBY, once those games come out, but I doubt it will be applied to the gen 6 games (XY and Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire)

That's exactly what I tried as soon as I caught my first Pokemon in Blue. I wanted to find out if there's anything you can do to effect how a Pokemon's IVs and EV sets would look after transfer. It'll probably be random though, won't it.

Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2016
    Well to be honest the game was a bit too easy in like 10hours i got almot all badges and i had a Alakazam that was 1 shooting every pokemon i met trainer or wild... then i found out ORAS are the newest not X/Y so i kinda got disapointed... I bought MH4 and i played that alot but it was getting my nerves up so i gave up on Nintendo for around a year, i came back cuz i missed pokemons but i decided to wipe the whole game and start over... not shure why... anyway right now im trying to figure out what super training and other stuff does... i kinda cant decided what pokemons to use atm my team is consisted of Charmander that i got from trade, pikachu, pigeot and the fox u get on start of X fire one... Im guessing i wont have to concentrate on raising pokemons and leveling them since the game is far too easy for me atm, probably because im used to the Silver version whych was alot harder, you actually had to traing pokemons and mix good combos for badge trainers...

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    If you're finding the game too easy, you could try turning off the Exp. Share so that you gain experience more slowly. The Exp. Share mechanic is great if you're using a large number of Pokemon (I used it to rotate new Pokemon into my team as I caught them and get them up to speed, which made it easier to use more than six Pokemon than in the past), but if you're using only a few Pokemon, you'll become overleveled far too quickly. (I recall being at level 36 by the second gym badge, before I diversified my team a bit more, and it felt kind of ridiculous.)

Super training allows you to train Pokemon in particular stats. If you haven't played since the first couple of gens, I don't know if you know about EVs, but they're different from the stat experience system used in gen I and II. In both games, Pokemon have what you can think of as base genes ("DVs" in gens I/II, "IVs" since then), and those determine how high your Pokemon's stats could hypothetically get, relative to the species maximum. In XY and ORAS, IVs range from 0 to 31 (31 high). EVs, or effort values, are points you can put into each stat to enhance it. In gens I and II, every Pokemon could reach its maximum stats (given its particular DVs) in all stats, by gathering something called stat experience. In the newer games, however, you can't max out all of your stats; instead, you can decide on how you want to distribute the 510 total EV points the game gives you. You can put up to 252 EVs into each stat, and for every 4 EVs in a stat, you will gain 1 point in that stat at level 100. When you battle, different species of Pokemon give you different allocations of EVs, usually depending on their strengths (e.g., a Pokemon that specializes in speed may give you 1, 2, or 3 speed EVs). If you play the game normally, you'll end up with a somewhat random allocation of EVs based on the Pokemon you encountered, which, while fine for in-game play, won't do for competitive battling.

Using super training (or other methods, but super training is the easiest one conceptually), you can EV train Pokemon as you see fit from the start of your journey. One super training point = 1 EV. Whether you want to super train or not is up to you. You don't really need it for in-game, and the Pokemon you train probably won't be competitive anyway without breeding them later for better IVs, but if you want to try it out, there's no harm in doing so. I wanted to try it when I first got X, so I super trained my Kalos starter, Kanto starter, and fossil, and I don't regret it (though I don't use them competitively). If anything, though, super training your Pokemon may make the game easier, if that's a concern.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    That's exactly what I tried as soon as I caught my first Pokemon in Blue. I wanted to find out if there's anything you can do to effect how a Pokemon's IVs and EV sets would look after transfer. It'll probably be random though, won't it.

I'm not convinced it will be entirely random. I think stat experience will probably be reset, and then you can EV train from scratch. The main thing that worries me is how the IVs will be handled. I'm a little concerned that with past comments about simplifying Pokemon, GF will get rid of IVs completely, which I think would really hurt the competitive scene (e.g., no trick room optimized sets because you can't alter your speed). But there may be some elaborate conversion (which will inevitably leave out some of the values), or there may simply be more flexibility to alter your IVs in-game next gen, just like EV training and breeding because a lot easier and more transparent this gen.

Fannie

Don't let my milk go lumpy
    Years
    • Age 32
    • UK
    • Seen Dec 31, 2016
    I'm not convinced it will be entirely random. I think stat experience will probably be reset, and then you can EV train from scratch. The main thing that worries me is how the IVs will be handled. I'm a little concerned that with past comments about simplifying Pokemon, GF will get rid of IVs completely, which I think would really hurt the competitive scene (e.g., no trick room optimized sets because you can't alter your speed). But there may be some elaborate conversion (which will inevitably leave out some of the values), or there may simply be more flexibility to alter your IVs in-game next gen, just like EV training and breeding because a lot easier and more transparent this gen.

I dunno if it needs to be transparent. You only really need to know about them if you play competitively and comp players learn about them fairly quickly thanks to the internet and communities like this.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I dunno if it needs to be transparent. You only really need to know about them if you play competitively and comp players learn about them fairly quickly thanks to the internet and communities like this.

I like being able to see where I stand EV training-wise if I get something in a trade, and it's nice to actually have GF acknowledge it (rather than it remaining a "hidden" part of the game that everyone who knows anything about competitive battling actually knows about). Actual numerical values would be useful, but I've lived just fine with tracking my EV training using tick marks on sticky notes for years, and I'm sure I could continue to do so fine. It does seem like GF is pushing for increased transparency, though, and I'm not entirely sure what the rationale is. And they're making breeding easier, though they never fully explained how that worked (it was another hidden mechanic that fans quickly found out about to breed 5IV Pokemon with relative ease). I do get the sense that they want people who have never thought about EVs/IVs before to have some awareness of their existence, though, if only to drive them to the point of looking up an online forum or article to learn more about the topic.

Back