• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help? : Help with shading this guy?

Whoomay

Hand me a bottle of Rum mate!
Years
  • I just as started practicing Pixelart and I am bit of stuck with the shading of the robot head in the attachment... I think I have done half of the shading. I didn't want it to be pillow shaded but Idk... Any tips how to exactly finish the shading of it? Thank you in advance!

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    So, you've already decide where the sun comes from, what you now need to do, is decide, how flat is the face? Because as it looks now, it's very flat. Also, do you want a en face perspective? Is he really supposed to look directly at you? Shading is easier when you go for a 3/4 perspective. Pokemon sprites usually are a great way to learn shading, by looking at how they done it, but they do have their personal style. Here is a tutorial, although it's not based on pokemon pixel art. If you want to get in fakemon, a good way to start of and learn is to do some fusions, or revamps.

Years
  • I actually can't link anything until i get to 15 posts but if you look up spheres then you should find some where the lightsource is that of your OP.
    try finding a sphere with a lightsource similar to that, i'm looking at a couple right now. Then try to emulate that and i'm sure you'll progress!

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    We also have a lighting/shading tutorial in A&D's resource thread. :) Good luck man! Let us see the final result when you're done!

Years
  • out of curiosity, is it supposed to be shaped like a sphere or more like an oval? if it was a perfect sphere than maybe it could be easier to shade.

Whoomay

Hand me a bottle of Rum mate!
    Years
  • So, you've already decide where the sun comes from, what you now need to do, is decide, how flat is the face? Because as it looks now, it's very flat. Also, do you want a en face perspective? Is he really supposed to look directly at you? Shading is easier when you go for a 3/4 perspective. Pokemon sprites usually are a great way to learn shading, by looking at how they done it, but they do have their personal style. Here is a tutorial, although it's not based on pokemon pixel art. If you want to get in fakemon, a good way to start of and learn is to do some fusions, or revamps.

Thanks the tutorial helped a lot!

Back