• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

help in choosing the right rom file?

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen Oct 24, 2023
    Hello! I hope my english isn't too rough!

I've been interested in veeery simple and basic rom hacking for a couple months and I've been watching video tutorials on youtube and reading many informative threads over here ... I've been using mainly Gen3Tools and AdvanceMap to do some small changes, just to start, but two things mainly happen then:

one, whenever I playtest the rom (I'm hacking Fire Red since I've read it's the easiest to start with) by starting a new game, it does this weird thing where it doesn't let me walk any other directions but right and down? for some reason? like I'm in my room and it just lets me walk to the right, and then down, and I eventually always end up walking into the down right corner of the room with no chance of moving away

two, by trying to download other FireRed roms, sometimes the ones I download don't seem to work with Gen3Tools and if I try to anyway, some sort of error pops up. Other times G3T does work, but when I try to say, edit trainers' teams, it doesn't find free space or something? And if I go through the editing process anyway, when I go editing the Pokémon it says "invalid Pokémon"

So my question essentially is ... at this point I'm kind of lost on which rom I have to use to even start? It seems any rom I download has some kind of issue for some reason. I haven't touched any code or done any hex hacking if that's helpful to know, because I've never learned how to modify code and the edits I want to make to the game are so minimal that I don't think it's even necessary ... I just want to change up the Pokémon a little bit and the trainers' teams.

Can anyone help? Thank you!

Days
    BRO CLAM DOWN! REDOWNLOAD EVERYTHING EVEN A FREAH NEW ROM FILE AND USE ADVANCE MAP FOR MAP EDITING AND XSE FOR SCRIPT TAKE YOU TIME ASK ANYTHING I TRY TO HELP YOU

Back