• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

help making a team

Years
    • Seen Jan 6, 2010
    ok i have now more or less completed the main story of diamond and now want to create a decent team, however i have never made a competetive team in previous games.

so i would appreciate if you could help me create a decent team by giving examples of what pokemon to use and what sort of moves and possible a reason why it works well.

and also is there any particular way to raise these pokemon as i have heard about EV training and natures, which i have no idea about what they are tbh.

anyway anyone who can help me i will greatly apprecite this thanks.

sorry if this is in the wrong place.

Last edited:

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    The right place, but read the guides first. EVs are...oh boy. Read the EV/IV guide, the Team Building guide, and post any questions you have in the Q&A thread.

Years
    • Seen Jan 6, 2010
    ok thanks i do now briefly understand EVs

so i will try this with my EEVEE i want to make this a espion or umbreon, what is the best way to raise this in your opnion, what stats should i focus on for EV training and what pokemon/trainers should i battle to do so.

also what sort of moveset would it be good to use.

thanks for the help.

EDIT

my eevee has a naughty nature is this any good for rasing a umbreon/espeon?

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    Naughty is a terrible nature because it hurts one of the defensive stats. That's why sweepers only use one king of attack. That way the attack they don't use can be deducted from the nature rather than a defense. The 4 sweeper nature you MUST know:
    Timid (+spd/-att)
    Modest (+sp. att/-att)
    (those two are for special sweepers.)
    Jolly (+spd/-sp. att)
    Adamant (+att/-sp. att)

No defenses are harmed. Here's my best example of a physical sweeper:

Dragonite@Leftovers (I almost always use the lefties)
    Jolly Nature
    EVs: 252 Speed, 252 Attack, 6 HP
    ~Dragon Dance
    ~Earthquake
    ~Thunderpunch
    ~Outrage

This is a great pokemon. Once speed is gained from DD, Dragonite is near unstopable. Good defenses and HP too. I recommend this dragonite.

A good special Sweeper:

Starmie@Leftovers (BTW, there are plenty of better items I just always use lefties)
    Timid Nature
    EVs: 252 Speed, 252 Special Attack, 6 HP
    ~Tunderbolt
    ~Ice beam (T-bolt-Ice beam combo refered to as boltbeam)
    ~Surf
    ~Psychic

Grass knot another good option. Starmie is mega OU (overused), so it is rather predictable.

Now you need walls. Walls take damage from sweepers rather well. We'll start with the physical wall to counter physical sweepers:

Steelix@Leftovers
    Impish nature
    EVs: 252 HP, 252 Defense, 6 HP
    ~EQ (Earthquake)
    ~Explosion
    ~Roar
    ~Stealth Rock

200 base defense...Woah! Here's the special wall:

Blissey@Leftovers
    Bold Nature
    EVs: 252 HP (max HP 714, Woah!), 252 Defense, 6 Special Defense
    ~Aromatherapy
    ~Softboiled
    ~Seismic Toss
    ~Thunder Wave

THE best special wall in the game. VERY common though. No special sweeper can beat bliss

There are four examples of the four roles you MUST have on your team. Now this is where battle style comes into play, the last two slots. Figure out these four positions first and then we'll get to the last slots.

EDIT: Oh yeah, if ya wanna use umbreon, use:

Umbreon@Leftovers
    Bold Nature
    EVs: 252 HP, 126 in each defense
    ~Mean Look
    ~Baton Pass
    ~Toxic
    ~Wish

BP (baton pass) Mean look to a pokemon that counters the opponents pokemon very well and you have umbreon!

EDIT 2: Just remebered! Counter, toxic and Ice beam are other common moves for bliss. I'd use your favorites. It makes things more fun.

Last edited:
    Back