• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

HELP! My computer is acting weird!

liquidfury

A Chief Webmaster
    Years
    I need to find out what's wrong with my pc. Often, but not always, I will boot my computer and whenever I try to click on something, either I'll click on an icon and it will keep opening the program/file over and over, or if I move my mouse over something, it will automatically click it and then will stark clicking any OK or Done buttons on whatever it just opened, and it truly scares me.

HEELLPPP! :surprised

Kurono

Remember?
    Years
    liquidfury said:
    I need to find out what's wrong with my pc. Often, but not always, I will boot my computer and whenever I try to click on something, either I'll click on an icon and it will keep opening the program/file over and over, or if I move my mouse over something, it will automatically click it and then will stark clicking any OK or Done buttons on whatever it just opened, and it truly scares me.

HEELLPPP! :surprised

Its most likely you're mouse...try cleaning the inside and out(not recommended) or try a new mouse...if you're on a laptop...try adding a USB mouse instead...and if that doesn't work...save all your files to a couple of disks and reinstall the OS, but the last one is a definite last resort..XD

And remember....double click only! XD

Anarchytekt

Techlord
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Aug 16, 2006
    Hmm It might be a virus or spyware, but I've just never heard of a virus or w/e do this. It's most likely what he^ said - try that, though I don't see how that can cause accidental clicks.

Lord_Nuthing

Kicker of Thine Throat
    Years
    there is actually a virus or something of the sorts that will mess with your mouse settings and make it go all haywire but what the other guyz said would be the best route

liquidfury

A Chief Webmaster
    Years
    Well, you see, I've already tried all of those things. I scan my computer every 3 days with AVG Anti-Virus (the free edition), and I went to Radio Shack and bought some air in a can and I took the mouse apart and cleaned it, so I'm really caught here.

One thing I do remember is that about a month ago I did a scan and it said that I had a Trojan Horse virus, or something to that effect. Anyway, it asked me if I wanted to quarantine it afterwards, and I did. So, technically, the virus isn't 'gone', so to speak, but just in a place where it can't do anything. But I don't know if that is it or not.

Geometric-sama

The Manly Man of Steel
    Years
    You checked for viruses, but it's more likely to be spyware. Scan with AdAware and Spybot, and see if they work. Otherwise, are you using anything else (is anything connected to your computer) that controls your cursor, like a touchpad or graphics tablet?

Years
    Virus or spyware, eh? Tch, I remember when I was spyware'd back on Windows 98, tch, an' whenever I opened up my Internet Explorer it just kept opening it over an' over again, tch, an' wouldn't stop even after I'd closed all of my IE windows. O_O;;;

liquidfury

A Chief Webmaster
    Years
    And how exactly DID you know that the 2 spyware programs I owned were Spybot: Search and Destroy, and AdAware? Everything's getting very freaky now! Well, trust me, you can count on me to have done that too, as I get really freaked really easily! I scanned with everything on my computer twice if I did it once.

Alana

I still love this world...
    Years
    Well it's something I haven't heard of but sometimes when the controler on my GameCube is a bit loose or just for no reason, it'll start going haywire. It never clicks anything but it zooms around on it's own. I can't see why it couldn't do something like that to a computer too. Maybe it's just loose or it could simply be broken. If it's wireless they start to act up after long use. But for it to open the files again and again, well it sounds like a virus. But if there isn't one that is a danger to your computer at the moment, well, I can't really think of anything that would cause that. Maybe your virus scanning system isn't up to date. You should check but it's a long shot if you've tried everything else.

Spectrum

In need of an oil change
    Years
    liquidfury said:
    And how exactly DID you know that the 2 spyware programs I owned were Spybot: Search and Destroy, and AdAware? Everything's getting very freaky now! Well, trust me, you can count on me to have done that too, as I get really freaked really easily! I scanned with everything on my computer twice if I did it once.
    It's not freaky, they're two of the most popular spyware scanners~

Are you running Windows XP? If so, have you given anybody remote access to your computer, or are you on a LAN? O_o

eX.A.K.R.

Slow Periods.
    Years
    From what I have read, there's only two possibilities left:
    ? A hacker has somehow hacked into and took over your computer, including your mouse. You did mention finding a Trojan Horse before; it could be very possible that the Trojan Horse may have opened up a hole in your computer's security defences, allowing hackers to have access to it (and programs that do such things do exist). In this case, update all your virus and spyware definitions (which could be outdated), disconnect from the internet, and do a thorough scan. Get a free firewall, such as ZoneAlarm.
    ? It could very well had been faulty hardware or a lose connection, like what Alana suggested. If so, check your mouse's cable's connection. If it's a wireless model, you may need to check the batteries. You mentioned that you cleaned out your mouse; the mouse may had been damaged during the cleaning process. In this case, get a new mouse known to be in working condition and use it with the computer. If everything works properly, then it's just a problem with the computer mouse.

I suggest that you provide more information about your computer system before you do anything else though, such as the operating system, internet connection type, and the type of mouse you are using (wired or wireless and ball, trackball, or optical).

Kira

Style Guru
    Years
    Just clean your mouse. Open it, take out the rolling thing, and take out all dust!
    If that does not work, but it probably will, then Spy-Ware scan, Adaware or some other program. If that does not work, then I recomend you to check your mouse settings, then, if that does not help, delete and re-install the mouse hardware.
    If that does not work, you're f***** up xD Restart your OS.

Back