• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Question] Help needed for Copyright Issues with my game

Ayutac

Developer who wants your help
Years
  • Hello there! First off, I was wondering, if I should make a new thread or post my thoughts in the game thread but I was afraid my problem wouldn't be really noticed then. I also posted this thread in the LemmaSoft Forums since there are a lot of visual noveks, but I thought you guys could probably help as well, since here a lot of fan games are produced.

So up until now, that is, to version 1.0.4, the credits told which person was responsible for which part of the game, and at the end of it we had
    © 2002-2013 Pokémon. © 1995-2013 Nintendo/Creatures Inc./GAME FREAK inc. TM, ® and Pokémon character names are trademarks of Nintendo. / © 1997-2013 TV Tokyo, ShoPro, JR Kikaku / © 1997-2013 Pikachu Records
    I'm not sure where I got this line, but I thought everything would have been taken care of with it.
    With version 2.0 (yes it's such a jump) I want to make it better, also because I want to change the project to open source. There will be a thin version of it too, stripped of all Pokemon content to serve as a Ren'Py Dating Sim Engine (DSE) as opposed to the Pokemon Dating Sim itself (PDS), so I'm interested in it too.

For PDS, I'll probably leave the line as it is (except for updating it to 2014) and make a different page explaining the copyright of the game. I already got some input from this thread regarding the images:
    The act of tracing them as well as the little changes and added emotions is CC-BY-NC-SA, while the original images and characters are still Nintendo property (of course).
    The music melodies are still Nintendo property.
    The backgrounds don't have copyrights tied to them, so they are safe and will be published as public domain.
    As I understood it, every game I created with Ren'Py has to be at least MIT licensed because of the libraries Ren'Py uses.
    The dialog lines are some kind of fanfiction, so the fandom is of course Nintendo property, but the written stuff is also copyrighted nevertheless. Putting the Nintendo stuff aside, I would publish it under the MIT license too, since it's a little bit incorparated into the code.

So much for the parts, the game all together should go well with a MIT license, as I declare the Pokemon Parts as parody, right?

The DSE should go under a MIT license I think. I borrowed some characters and backgrounds from free ressources in the LemmaSoft forums and will credit them accordingly.

So what do you think?

PinkCatDragon

The 17 year old programer. Now byte off
    Years
  • Spoiler:

i draw you attaition to
    Spoiler:

basicly you can sublicence it. but because it contains nintendo property you would need to choose a licence that is pardory/fair use compatable

Back