• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Heracross, why must you torment me?

Years
    I recently installed a new save battery in Silver so that I could relive my childhood (so worth it, btw). I got my team all planned out, but it requires me to catch a Heracross, and I simply cannot find one.

It is infuriating.

I have tried multiple different routes that contain "mountain trees" and am currently on routes 42 and 43. As I understand it, based off of the Headbutt Tree page at bulbapedia, headbutt trees come in three encounter rate flavors: 80%, 50%, and 10%. From there, the trees that have a 10% overall encounter rate should drop Heracross 30% of the time. The issue is that I've been headbutting these trees for ten or more encounters per tree (meaning 100+ headbutts per tree) and haven't seen a single Heracross.

I'm up to about 2 hours of game time purely devoted to headbutting! Am I missing something? Am I understanding something wrong?

Years
    I had trouble finding one in Gold so i gave up. I think the most common area is the above the pokemon center outside the cave. It can take a long time though.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    I think there's a verry small chance of finding one in azalea town? That might be only hg/ss though.

Years
    OK! Sorry for late reply here, I was on vacation. I finally caught a Heracross on Route 42! After multiple HOURS headbutting, I think I have finally figured out how encounters work.

Thought I would share what I learned in case anyone else is having trouble with this. Maybe this little guide will help you:

1) Start headbutting a tree. Do you get a Spearow or Aipom? Good. This means you're in a "mountain" area which may contain Heracross. These areas are divided differently between Gold/Silver and Crystal, which is why Azalea Town is a popular spot for Heracross in Crystal but not in Gold/Silver.

2) Headbutt the tree 10 times. Trees containing Heracross ("special" trees) have a high Pokémon encounter rate. It's something around 80%, so if you headbutt a tree 10 times and don't see more than a couple Pokémon, it's probably safe to move on.

3) If you are getting encounters, headbutt until you've had 10 encounters. If you haven't found a Heracross yet, move on to the next tree. Heracross appears 30% of the time in special trees, so if you are headbutting a special tree, you have better than a 97% chance of finding at least one Heracross after 10 encounters.

Not every "mountain" route will contain a special tree since they are generated using a pivot index based off of the player's ID number. This also means they'll be different in each game you play. However, follow the steps above and you'll hopefully find a Heracross before long. Hope that helps someone!

Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2016
    Azalia town I remember in the very beginning. At first I though this pokemon evolved from Pincer, so I trained a Pincer. Then I found out the reality. It is like that Shark Pokemon. It is suppose to be the final evolution but in reality it is a slap in the face.

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
    I never had any problems finding Heracross, as most have already pointed out, Azalea Town is the best place to find one early-game.

Just as an aside, if you can find one and train him up to around lv 20 by the time you face Whitney, you will destroy her Miltank with ease.

Back