• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Here It Goes Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years

▪ Scarf's 2nd sprite thread... with revamps!
▪ Everything is scratch unless it says otherwise.
▪ Please comment & critique.
▪ Not for public use. Steal and I hunt you down

Selections from the Fakédex:
✿ ☀

Marchase
➝ Racing Fakémon
Grass/Dragon
These F
akémon love to challenge each other to races. Large herds of Marchase are known to cause earthquakes.

Gravikey
Doorway Fakémon
Psychic/Steel
This F
akémon came from outer space. It can sense people's feelings and intentions from miles away.

Chartail
Guide Fakémon
Electric/Flying
It never gets lost because the magnetic feather on its head always points north. It can sense approaching thunderstorms.

Winkap
Bedtime Fakémon
Poison/Psychic
People who sleep in the vicinity of this F
akémon often wake up feeling tired and nauseous.

VS Sprites:
☇ ◩ ☇ ◩

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Other Sprites:
☆ ❖

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Wow, I remember looking at your older sprite thread a few days ago and I love them :D Especially Chartail.

The only thing I could pick up on is the first two in the 'other sprites' section don't have very apparent face features, especially the second one. Maybe make the eyes a bit darker? I don't know XD

gol

Years
  • Seen Oct 8, 2010
I love the fourth one in the other sprites section! Is it just a fakemon without a name? For critique, what SwiftSign said. Good job :)

Years
I forgot to add this one to the original post so it gets a special post all to itself.

picture.php

Wow, I remember looking at your older sprite thread a few days ago and I love them :D Especially Chartail.

The only thing I could pick up on is the first two in the 'other sprites' section don't have very apparent face features, especially the second one. Maybe make the eyes a bit darker? I don't know XD
You're right. They don't stand out very well. I'll try to fix that next time I update those.

I love the fourth one in the other sprites section! Is it just a fakemon without a name? For critique, what SwiftSign said. Good job :)
The mouse one? It had a name, but it wasn't a very good one so I'll be renaming it eventually.

I love the Rapidash evo! It looks great. Does it have a name?
Thanks, but no, not as far as I know. Those last three are based on someone's sketches and she didn't give a name... which reminds me that I need to mention that in the OP.

Curt_09

Also known as Chozo
Years
Your sprites are still amazing, and the ones you revamped are even better. I'm curious as to your thoughts on outlines: does the darkness of them have to vary based on the color of the pokemon, or should all of them have a noticeable outline?
Take for instance the difference between Marchase and that pink thing in your Other Sprites. I like the pink thing more just because I can pick up a definite outline, but Marchase is awesome in its own way. I like both, but I find the more solid outline more appealing.

Years
A tidied up VS sprite which fixes some anatomical anomalies.

picture.php

Your sprites are still amazing, and the ones you revamped are even better. I'm curious as to your thoughts on outlines: does the darkness of them have to vary based on the color of the pokemon, or should all of them have a noticeable outline?
Take for instance the difference between Marchase and that pink thing in your Other Sprites. I like the pink thing more just because I can pick up a definite outline, but Marchase is awesome in its own way. I like both, but I find the more solid outline more appealing.

Whatever looks good to you, but yeah, more distinct outlines are probably better most of the time. I'm not usually a fan of really dark outlines though, particularly where they sit next to really light colors because the contrast is often too great for it to look good.

Last edited:
Years
Here's another updated sprite. The colors are better and the hair is much improved, I think. Of course, knowing me I'll probably have to change it again after I've decided that this version isn't good enough anymore.

picture.php

Compare to the previous version:

picture.php

Chibi Robo

of the entire epoch!
Years
  • Age 28
  • Cali
  • Seen Apr 2, 2013
picture.php

Compare to the previous version:

picture.php

I personally prefer the old one over then new one. The colors are much easier on the eyes and the hairstyle is made and shaded well. Then new one has a bit of a funky hairstyle with no shading, and the clothes are a bit brighter. (Which isn't always a plus)
That's just me though. :3

Years
Another update of an old sprite. I might have gone a little overboard with the top half. Also, an edit of the good professor to make him look a little younger.

picture.php
oak.png

I personally prefer the old one over then new one. The colors are much easier on the eyes and the hairstyle is made and shaded well. Then new one has a bit of a funky hairstyle with no shading, and the clothes are a bit brighter. (Which isn't always a plus)
That's just me though. :3
You're right about the shading, mostly. There is a tiny bit of it, but yes, I didn't really get that to stand out as well as I could have. I dunno. It seemed too flat to me so I changed it. I adjusted the palette because I wanted more contrast.

Dots

Temporary Avvie. ^^'
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 23, 2012
Wow, your sprites are amazing Scarf! I can't believe I missed this thread. You're so adept at this sort of stuff.

The only advice I can give you is about the mugshot you seem to be a little unsure of.

picture.php
--->
picture.php

(Old/New Comparison)

I love the colors on the second one, and the pink palette looks like it'd be featured in an official game. The only thing that bothers me is the white palette, which is a bit of an eyesore, so you might want to tone it down a tad.
Also, I've got to agree with Chibi Robo. The hair on the first one looks better, but that might be because we're comparing it to the newer version, which does have a somewhat funky hairstyle. My opinion is that you should have kept the hair but continued with the other changes. Anyways, that's just my two cents, and the new isn't bad in any way, so it's up to you to change it.

picture.php

I remember seeing this sprite from your previous thread, only it wasn't as good as this little guy here. My favorite of your fakemon. ^^

Keep up your good amazing extraordinary work! I'd love to see more of what you have in store for us. xD

Years
And now for a third VS sprite remake. Getting hands not looking like crap is the hardest thing in the world. Seriously.

picture.php

I love the colors on the second one, and the pink palette looks like it'd be featured in an official game. The only thing that bothers me is the white palette, which is a bit of an eyesore, so you might want to tone it down a tad.
Also, I've got to agree with Chibi Robo. The hair on the first one looks better, but that might be because we're comparing it to the newer version, which does have a somewhat funky hairstyle. My opinion is that you should have kept the hair but continued with the other changes. Anyways, that's just my two cents, and the new isn't bad in any way, so it's up to you to change it.​
picture.php

I remember seeing this sprite from your previous thread, only it wasn't as good as this little guy here. My favorite of your fakemon. ^^

Keep up your good amazing extraordinary work! I'd love to see more of what you have in store for us. xD
I'll let you in on a secret. I stole the colors I used on that one sprite. Well, stealing isn't really the word for it.
Spr_4d_205.png
picture.php

I'm not entirely sure what you mean about the white palette. You mean the sleeves, right? Too bright? Really? I don't see it at all. And as for the hair... eventually I'll change it (probably).

I'm glad you like my little fakemon.

Dots

Temporary Avvie. ^^'
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 23, 2012
And now for a third VS sprite remake. Getting hands not looking like crap is the hardest thing in the world. Seriously.

picture.php

You really have a knack for this sort of stuff. Your skill amazes me.

The only comment I have on this one is the shading on her shirt. In my opinion, I find that it would be more appealing/effective if the shading would be made a little rounder. Right now it looks a bit unnatural.

I'll let you in on a secret. I stole the colors I used on that one sprite. Well, stealing isn't really the word for it.
Spr_4d_205.png
picture.php

I'm not entirely sure what you mean about the white palette. You mean the sleeves, right? Too bright? Really? I don't see it at all. And as for the hair... eventually I'll change it (probably).

I see you do the same thing I do with palettes. xD

And yep, I meant the sleeves. I never said the palette is 'too bright', it's just that there's a bit more contrast there and it doesn't seem to fit. Maybe you could switch it with another white palette to solve this problem? Or maybe it's my screen? I have no idea.

I'm glad you like my little fakemon.

Why wouldn't I? It looks adorable, so no wonder I love it so much. ^^

Years
Shirking all my other spriting responsibilities I've gone ahead and made another sprite. With the shiny it looks like I've done so much more work when really I haven't. I want this one to be perfect so I'd love any tips or suggestions and to know if I've made spriting errors or really anything that doesn't look right.

picture.php

You really have a knack for this sort of stuff. Your skill amazes me.

The only comment I have on this one is the shading on her shirt. In my opinion, I find that it would be more appealing/effective if the shading would be made a little rounder. Right now it looks a bit unnatural.
Oh, the shading. There's always something overlooked. That one is easily fixed, thankfully, though I don't think it's that noticeable at first glance.

I see you do the same thing I do with palettes. xD

And yep, I meant the sleeves. I never said the palette is 'too bright', it's just that there's a bit more contrast there and it doesn't seem to fit. Maybe you could switch it with another white palette to solve this problem? Or maybe it's my screen? I have no idea.
Well, I want something sharper so a good amount of contrast works for me. When I was working on it I had kept the original color on the sleeves, but it just looked too dull to me. Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm gonna keep that bit as is.

Years
Here is the rest of that previous sprite, slightly adjusted, with backsprites and everything.

picture.php

I've also tried to make something a little larger than I normally work in so I did something pretty simple and easy.

picture.php

Years
its tail has an unusual bend......or is it behind the wing?

still it look alittle odd =/
It is a bit of an unfortunate overlap, yes. I made it more or less as it was drawn since I was working from someone's artwork (with permission of course) and wanted to keep it as close to that as I could. Right now I have no plans to go back to that sprite, but if I do I'll probably adjust the wings a little for that reason and a few others, mostly because I rushed them and could probably do better.

Years
I'm still working on developing my pixel art skills. I've done a little more work on the previous sprite, tried to eliminate some of the plain and empty areas with a little detail and give it some hint of texture by making it look polished.

picture.php

This is a revamp of my first ever sprite. It badly needed it. Take my word for it.

picture.php

Last edited:

Samson

no, i don't know milk drink
Years
why is it that i can't see any of your sprites? =(

i need some motivation darnit! :D

Years
Got a backsprite to add to my collection. I am pretty happy with it even though it contradicts the blurb I made up for it. Already tried the feather the other way and it didn't look good.

picture.php

And yet another version of that VS sprite. I hope it meets with more approval this time 'cuz I seriously don't know what I'd do if I tried to change it again. Only I would.

picture.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back