• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other✓] Hex help please! :D

Years
  • Okay I just started rom hacking like 3 days ago so im new and no almost nothing :( but anyways i have been looking all over the internet for the past hour and a half and cant find anything. Can anyone tell me what exactly is a pointer and what its does? I'm trying to add fairy type into fire red so i was following the tut by shy rayq but i cant seem to find an answer to my question on that thread or any other one. Im probably just looking in the wrong spots for my answer though

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    A pointer is a string of hex in the ROM that 'points' at further information.

For example, when scripting you give a pointer to the 'event' to point it towards the script.

Pointers are often written as 0x8XXXXXX in programs, but when actually looking in the rom you find the pairs of letters are backwards.

Therefore, information stored at: 08123456 is pointed at with the hex code 56 34 12 08 - not entirely backwards, but the order of the pairs is reversed! Hope this helped, typing on my phone so reaching the end of my attention span :P.

Years
  • A pointer is a string of hex in the ROM that 'points' at further information.

For example, when scripting you give a pointer to the 'event' to point it towards the script.

Pointers are often written as 0x8XXXXXX in programs, but when actually looking in the rom you find the pairs of letters are backwards.

Therefore, information stored at: 08123456 is pointed at with the hex code 56 34 12 08 - not entirely backwards, but the order of the pairs is reversed! Hope this helped, typing on my phone so reaching the end of my attention span :P.
    So if i have DC 5D E9 08 it would be 08E95DDC ?

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Essentially! So if you see DC 5D E9 08 in hex, in your editor, then go to (08) E9 5D DC you'll find what it is pointing at :).

Years
  • Thank you! i have one more question though if you don't mind

"Now find DC5DE908 by using Ctrl + F or whatever your program uses.

Press okay, then you get it. Now replace it with your pointer. But first, we need it in a format the game understands.

So in my case, I've got 00 00 80 08, which is quite bland. Anyway, now replace the original pointer with the new one. There's only 1 case so that's the only one."

Okay so in the tut this is the part i am at and what i am stuck on is what am i supposed to change in HxD like i found where the pointer is at but what am i supposed to change in it?

Hex help please! :D

This is my screen idk if it will help you any ?

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    They want you to change the DC 5D E9 08 to 00 00 80 08. Presumably because they have inserted something new at the location 0x8800000.

I can't see the image I'm afraid!

Years
  • Thank you so much :D sorry for any annoyance. I really appreciate your help but i have one last simple question i changed the hex and the numbers turned red is that supposed to happen ?

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
    Years
  • Thank you so much :D sorry for any annoyance. I really appreciate your help but i have one last simple question i changed the hex and the numbers turned red is that supposed to happen ?

Yes, this shows you what bytes you modified and which ones you didn't. When you save (Ctrl+S) they should return back to the normal color.

Back