• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] HG/SS Healing Sprite

Years
    • Seen Aug 23, 2016
    Hi!

I'm currently changing the male character in Soul Silver to Ash.
    I've replaced the main overworld sprites, but I'm not able to replace the healing sprite.

-BTX Editor cannot open the btx file.

-In Tinke I can export each sprite, but there is no way to import them again.

-I found the tool MKDSCM which also has a btx editor, but the sprites are messed up, if I import them using MKDSCM.

HG/SS Healing Sprite

HG/SS Healing Sprite

It looks like there is something wrong with the palette, because some sprites are working, but for example, if I import sprite 12, the 1st sprite is now messed up (and also the other way round).
    All my sprites are saved as png, all have 16 colors and all use the same color palette!

I even tried to import the original unchanged pictures (which I exported with MKDSCM) and the same thing is happening :S

-Finally I tried PokeTex, but it will only show 6 of the 12 sprites and I don't see any option to import pictures.

I guess some of you already replaced that sprite, can you please give me a hint, how to do it?
    Thank you!

Years
    • Seen Aug 7, 2018
    BTX Editor is terribly written (author's word) and won't be updated. I asked. MKDSCM can't correctly modify these files because it was built to work with texture files for maps, which generally have one texture per palette, whereas these use on palette for every frame. Every time you import a frame, it overwrites the palette file. I've tried several tricks to get it to work, but it just doesn't.

The protagonist sprites that you can edit with BTX Editor are:
    Male | Female
    69 | 70
    71 | 72
    73 | 74
    79 | 80
    81 | 82
    87 | 88
    95 | 96
    99 | 100
    207 | 208
    248 | 249

You can use MKDSCM to edit file 232 | 233.

The last two files are 89 | 90 and 97 | 98. These need to be modified with CrystalTile2. It's been a long time since I did it, so you might have to figure that one out on your own, but I can tell you this is the program I used.

Years
    • Seen Aug 23, 2016
    Thank you for the quick reply.
    I'm changing the male character and already done 69, 71, 73, 79, 81, 87 and 207.
    Not going to change the sports and Rocket sprite.
    (if someone is interested, I will share the finished sprites)

Okay than it has to be done in CrystalTile2.
    Unfortunately I don't have any idee how to edit a sprite in this tool.
    I can open the narc file and see the btx files there, but when I double click them, it opens a hex file :S.
    I will try to find a tutorial, how to edit sprites using CrystalTile2.

I also found another way to change the sprites:
    It is possible with Overworld Editor DS, but there you have to change it pixel by pixel.
    This would be the (very) hard way.^^

Years
    • Seen Aug 7, 2018
    Okay than it has to be done in CrystalTile2.
    Unfortunately I don't have any idee how to edit a sprite in this tool.
    I can open the narc file and see the btx files there, but when I double click them, it opens a hex file :S.
    I will try to find a tutorial, how to edit sprites using CrystalTile2.

My apologies man; my memory failed me. Tile Molester is the program to use for editing that BTX file. I'm working on a tutorial for it now.

Back