• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen HG/SS - Updated Gym Leaders/Elite 4/Red?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it's just not me, but a lot of people that thinks G/S/C had the most underleveled pokemon out of all the pokemon games.

I fyou compare them with the ones in RSE, they're a little underleveled.

Now, if you compare them with the ones in D/P/Pt, RBY and FR/LG, then they're REALLY underleveled.

Champions top pokemon, Dragonite, is at level 50. IN Sinnoh's Elite Four you can see stronger pokemon in the first member of the E4!

Do you expect Gamefreak will level up those pokemon, or are you of the people that prefer keep them for nostalgic factors?

hvsep

Pimpster.
    Years
    They're underlevelled because there are 16 gyms to go through. If they went with the D/P/Pt pace, the Kanto gym leaders would have level 80 Pokemon, so what would happen to the Elite 4 and Red? They need to make the levels a little smaller to fit it all.

Zackraa

Nom Nom Nom
    Years
    if they leave out kanto and I hope they do or just turn kanto into a battle frontier then johto should be a kick ass place to train otherwise it'll be easy as hell again

SDODC13

Psychic Lover
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Dec 10, 2023
    idk I can agree that they were underleveled but I like the 16 gym idea so no I dont think it should be scratched rather fine tuned...

Years
    I have no problem with the later Kanto gyms having teams in their 70s and Red having a team in their 90s. These levels exist for a reason.

Suppose your team's expected to be around Level 55-60 by the time you head to Kanto. Since levels are so hard to gain at that point, you might finish off Kanto at around Level 70, allowing Red to maintain his existing team and still be somewhat of a challenge.

Also, I'd prefer that the *wild* Pokémon of Kanto maintain their low levels to allow it to serve as a place to train low-leveled Pokémon in, just like Johto, but often with different types to facilitate training more kinds of Pokémon. The trainers can have high-leveled Pokémon, and there's certainly no problem with having lots of them.

Naturally, the level curve can be steeper in Johto--G/S/C's low levels were one of its key criticisms. They increased the level curve in Platinum and Emerald, so I don't see why this would be a problem. It would require a little more attention to training your team to keep up, but that's what this game is about, after all. The audience has certainly gotten a lot smarter over the years.

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
    Well, if they beef everything in this remake, everything will be solved... or would it?!

I would like to see more stronger Gym Leaders, Trainers, Elite 4, etc. Also, while you are adventuring in Johto, shouldn't the Kanto Gym Leaders get stronger as well? They don't just stay in their gym all the time, ya know?

Also, Red's party should be somewhere around level 80-90 so it can be more of a challenge.

Translator

I want a blog.
    Years
    I agree that they were underleveled so I think they will raise the levels in these games. I hope that they will raise the levels of Falkner's Pokemon to Lv. 12 - 15.! Come on, a level 7 Pidgey and a level 9 Pidgeotto for the first gym.?

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
    I thought the Elite 4 was hard my Pokemon were still in the 30s but the elemental punches solved nearly all my problems, then there was red with a Pikachu at lvl 81 and my Feraligator at 48 so that was a bit hard

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 10, 2015
    The underleveled pokemon made the gyms easy and not really challenging.
    But I guess you had a challenge when you battled Red, right? And the fact you went to Kanto...
    I didn't really notice when I first played Silver. I just thought my pokemon were like really awesome, and I was just like an amazing trainer.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    Level 9 Pidgeotto. Strangest trademark gym leader's Pokémon ever. It'd probably be more authentic if Falkner still had it, but it'd be quite strange no less. (On the other hand, we still have level 16 Dusknoir and a Level 1 Regigigas.)

LOL.

You know what, when I first played through the game in the original version, I could have beaten it with my Feraligtr alone. I'm hoping they bring up the levels, and if they get into the 90s by the time of the Kanto then so be it, but I've been looking for the Pokémon game that can give me a challenge, and if this is it, then I wouldn't be disappointed at all.

Years
    They're definitely gonna increase the Pokémon Levels. They did it from Diamond and Pearl over to Platinum, and they're gonna do it for the newest games.

Nothing else can really be said, but it's pretty obvious, with the trends we've been seeing.

Years
    • Seen Oct 27, 2010
    I have no problem with the later Kanto gyms having teams in their 70s and Red having a team in their 90s. These levels exist for a reason.

Suppose your team's expected to be around Level 55-60 by the time you head to Kanto. Since levels are so hard to gain at that point, you might finish off Kanto at around Level 70, allowing Red to maintain his existing team and still be somewhat of a challenge.
    This. x20.
    Gym leaders are supposed to get stronger as time goes on, aren't they? So it's not very reasonable (or particularly fun) if their levels are forever stuck in the high 50s.
    If Red has a level 96 Pikachu, so be it. This would only make HGSS the most challenging game of all in contrast to the easy crap that was G/S/C. And a challenge is awesome. It's what makes a game fun.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    It would be the game challenging, but fun as well. I mean, even if they boost up the levels, if they can somehow manage for us to choose one of the Kanto starters, and start a fresh jounrey in Kanto then I wouldn't mind that, but I don't know how they'll do it is the question. Anyway, Red's Pikachu at level 96. Ha Ha, it'll be about time.

zirico

M.C.F.C
    Years
    i think faulkner should atleast have a lvl 14/15 Pigeot as his signature pokemon (i know it is not possible but neither was his pidgeotto), it would just feel so much better and make it a better game in my opinion. i am a trainer that generally trains his pokes to around lvl 20 before the first gym so i hope that all the pokes exept the wild ones rise in level by at leasts three levels.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Yes I too realized that they were really low levels. I'm pretty sure they'll make them higher levels. I mean people want some things to be the same, but really to me they were just too under leveled.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    Compared to the newer games it is definitely underleveled. Now, the Gym Leaders such as Falkner do not need a lv. 15 Pigeot, but at least let us have rematches with them later on will be great.

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2011
    I think what's going to happen is they'll leave the gyms relatively untouched at first, but there'll be rebattles once you go to Kanto, and I'm sure the Elite 4 will definitely see improvements. Most likely we'll have what platinum has and they'll gradually get tougher as the game goes on.

ckret2

usually pronounced "secret 2"
    Years
    I'm the kind of player who barrels through the plot with next to no training beyond whatever battles I get into going from Point A to Point B, so the levels in G/S/C never bothered me much. :P Still, it'd be nice if they made the levels in HG/SS more closely match the ones in other games, so I'm all for raising the levels. I'll just have to put up with trudging around in the grass leveling up my Pokémon, heh.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back