• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Hihidaruma's Ability is amazingly Over Powered!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MistahDude

Primate Pokemon Master
    Years
    If you wonder what Hihidaruma is based on, it's based on a Daruma doll, a toy modeled after Bodhidharma (hence the name, Hi, fire in Japanese, plus Bodhidaruma), founder of the Zen sect of Buddhism. According to Wiki, 'Daruma has a design that is rich in symbolism and is regarded more as a talisman of good luck to the Japanese. Daruma dolls are seen as a symbol of perseverance and good luck, making them a popular gift of encouragement.'. Also, supposedly, at the end of the year, all the Daruma are brought back to the temple they were purchased from for a traditional burning ceremony.

I was browsing serebii's old posts and I saw that he elaborated on the Encourage ability in the new ability page.

On serebii's ability page: https://www.serebii.net/blackwhite/ability.shtml

Hihidaruma (ヒヒダルマ), the Flaming PokeMon, is a pure fire-type, 1.3m tall, weighs 92.9kg. It has an ability called 'Encourage'.

The ability Encourage boosts the power of attacks but disables all of their secondary effects. This freaked me out. I do not think that they will make his stats bad to compensate, because there are more disadvantages to this ability than advantages. It disables all secondary effects. That means moves like Superpower do not lower his stats. That is the good side. It also means that he cannot cause flinch/burn/paralysis etc, to the opposing pokemon. It also means he cannot boost his stats with moves like Ancient power. Moves like bulk up that have one effect would still work though.

Depending on his typing, stats, and evolutionary line he may or may not become UBER or OU in Smogon Tiers. This ability basically makes Hihidaruma a brute force attacker, not a strategy attacker. You would use him to destroy the opponent with all of your force, rather than hindering their abilities. I could also see Hihidaruma being a pain in the butt to beat in game if a member of the elite four had one.

What do you guys think of this lovably creepy babboon/daruma doll thing? I like him and his ability as long as I do not have to fight him.

Mega Punch has the effect of damage. That effect is PRIMARY. Mud Slap has the effect of damage and accuracy drop. The accuracy drop is SECONDARY.

FROM XANDER0:
    "What he was saying is, Mud Slap's Secondary effect that has a "Chance" to drop accuracy is nulled.

But say, Hyper Beam's recharge won't. Or Overheat's Sp Atk drop won't happen either.

This ability also isn't that OP or great even for that matter. You sacrifice the ability to induce status damage.

Its Pure Power transferred to all attacks pretty much. They had to ignore part of an attack some how.

Pure Power is also insane if you think about it. Powers up all Physical Attacks. Then Technician powers up anything below 60 base power. That's really good too seeing as you never have an extremely weak attack. Even the consecutive hit ones like Fury Swipes.

Encourage is about equal to those and its down side is you can't burn your enemies using Fire attacks, Freeze using Ice attacks, Flinch if you use an attack that causes that."

Last edited:

Dominus Temporis

Fezzes are cool.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2012
    No, not quite. Effects that would be affected by, say, Serene Grace are all that would be affected by Encourage. Moves that always have an effect (Superpower, Overheat, Explosion, etc) would still do theirs, but ones with chances for an effect (AncientPower, Thunderbolt, etc) would not have that chance.

Basically, moves that have a "cost" of some kind aren't affected by Encourage.

RYOUKI

survive the world.
    Years
    Oh, you're right. It's really a superpowered ability. I also said the same thing for Motor Drive. Frankly, I'm thinking Hihidaruma might only be the next Zangoose. Fierce looking and probably a threat, but still easy to take down.

MistahDude

Primate Pokemon Master
    Years
    No, not quite. Effects that would be affected by, say, Serene Grace are all that would be affected by Encourage. Moves that always have an effect (Superpower, Overheat, Explosion, etc) would still do theirs, but ones with chances for an effect (AncientPower, Thunderbolt, etc) would not have that chance.

Basically, moves that have a "cost" of some kind aren't affected by Encourage.

Mega Punch has the effect of damage. That effect is PRIMARY.

Mud Slap has the effect of damage and accuracy drop. The accuracy drop is SECONDARY.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Mega Punch has the effect of damage. That effect is PRIMARY.

Mud Slap has the effect of damage and accuracy drop. The accuracy drop is SECONDARY.

What he was saying is, Mud Slap's Secondary effect that has a "Chance" to drop accuracy is nulled.

But say, Hyper Beam's recharge won't. Or Overheat's Sp Atk drop won't happen either.

This ability also isn't that OP or great even for that matter. You sacrifice the ability to induce status damage.

Its Pure Power transferred to all attacks pretty much. They had to ignore part of an attack some how.

Pure Power is also insane if you think about it. Powers up all Physical Attacks. Then Technician powers up anything below 60 base power. That's really good too seeing as you never have an extremely weak attack. Even the consecutive hit ones like Fury Swipes.

Encourage is about equal to those and its down side is you can't burn your enemies using Fire attacks, Freeze using Ice attacks, Flinch if you use an attack that causes that.

RYOUKI

survive the world.
    Years
    What he was saying is, Mud Slap's Secondary effect that has a "Chance" to drop accuracy is nulled.

Encourage is about equal to those and its down side is you can't burn your enemies using Fire attacks, Freeze using Ice attacks, Flinch if you use an attack that causes that.

OH. Now, I get you. Frankly, I wouldn't worry about that. Secondary means it has a chance of doing so, like yeah, with mudslap and accuracy falling, but I doubt that if Hihidaruma uses Hyper beam, he'd still need to recharge as it is a primary effect.

So, as I said, I wouldn't worry about Hihidaruma being a (kinda) threat.

MistahDude

Primate Pokemon Master
    Years
    Seriously, GF's not going to allow the doll ape thing to be overpowered.

If you think about it he really isnt all too overpowered with this ability. He is just a destroy everything pokemon. He cant cause any thing to happen to the opposing pokemon, which could be bad if he isnt strong enough to one shot the opponent.

Last edited:
    Years
    as if it isnt powerful enough as is with encourage, remember to factor in STAB, life orb, and if it can learn swords dance. it can pack a huge punch, added effects or not

imagine fighting this thing after its been baton passed a few SD's from a ninjask or something. then it could really punch a huge hole in just about anything.

Myzou

Lost and Confused xD
    Years
    Actually, the description Serebii states is "ALL Secondary Effects" Therefore, the logic that Hyper Beam, Giga Impact, etc, does actually fit, as it's primary effect is damage, whereas it's second effect is the wait.

However, we don't know for a fact, as it was a magazine that was not in the best of conditions, so it's possible it was just scanned oddly, or worded oddly.

THis does make me wonder about solarbeam though... First effect is technically a wait, and second is damage...

So would he sit there continuously charging?

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    I've gotten a few reports about this thread, saying it should go in either the ability thread or the new Pokémon thread but... I'm gonna leave it out in the open. OP has a pretty full post and since it's more discussion on fact than pure speculation, it doesn't reeeally fit in with the abilities and since it's not limited to Hihidaruma itself (as other Pokémon could have the ability), I think it's safe to stay separate.

Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2010
    Yeah if that was the case it would be awesome. But we'll see therenis probly a catch. . . . . or else they made an epic fail

Numbers

Say my name
    Years
    It would be overpowered if it nulled things like the stat drop from Overheat and the recharge from hyper beam but I don't think it will, and to make sure that it's not too overpowered I think they'll balance it out with stats like maybe making his defense low or speed low so that it's still beatable.

MistahDude

Primate Pokemon Master
    Years
    Yeah if that was the case it would be awesome. But we'll see therenis probly a catch. . . . . or else they made an epic fail

The catch is you can only damage the opponent, you cant strategically hinder them

It would be overpowered if it nulled things like the stat drop from Overheat and the recharge from hyper beam but I don't think it will, and to make sure that it's not too overpowered I think they'll balance it out with stats like maybe making his defense low or speed low so that it's still beatable.

Hihidaruma will most likely be fragile (low defenses), sort of like Primeape. As will any pokemon with this ability.

Last edited:

chaos11011

[untitled]
    Years
    • Age 27
    • MA
    • Seen May 4, 2021
    I posted a thread about his 2 days ago....... I'd advize using the search tab but I'm not mod.

But On Topic: Encourage will be the opposite of Serene Grace.I thought about Serene Grace (The PC user and ability xD) when I saw Encourage which is pretty obvious.Its just going to be a Negative Serene Grace,nothing more.

Jerme

stupid
    Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2010
    plus its not like it will learn all the moves that will be overpowered.

Starling008

Fire Pokemon Trainer
    Years
    No, it doesn't sound overpowered at all. Hihidaruma would not be able to give another Pokemon damage and status at the same time. To give a status problem, it would need to have a status but not damage-inflicting move(like thunder-wave). Same with stat reduction. It couldn't make other Pokemon flinch either. To make up for this, it's attack power is raised. Makes sense to me!

MistahDude

Primate Pokemon Master
    Years
    "Trying thinking about it this way:
    If it happens every time the move is used, it's still going to happen. If it happens only some of the time that the move is used, then it's not going to happen anymore.
    "

I saw that post on Gamespot. If that were to happen then Hihidaruma's ability would completely screw him over. He wouldn't be able to cause any status effects to the opponent, and he would still have to recharge from moves like Hyper Beam. His attacks would be stronger but they wouldn't really do anything useful. This would make him complete garbage in Wifi battles.

I hope that he doesn't have to recharge with moves like Hyper Beam, or he doesn't take recoil from recoil moves. That would make him very useful.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back