• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hoenn mon that are like ripoffs

enyce

banned
    Years
    ( I am not dissing them, this is something on my mind, thats all)

Mightyena=Houndoom

Plusle and Minun=Pikachu

Swellow=Pidgeot

Tailow=Pidgey

Banette=Gengar

Ralts-Kirlia-Gardevior=Abra family

Bagon-Shelgon-Salamance= Dratini family

Skitty=meowth (cat emblem???)

Delcatty=persian (anova cat emblem???)

~Alakazam~

Psychic Eye
    Years
    Oh, by all means I agree with this. A lot of the Hoenn monsters are nearly the same as the Kanto ones, but with different art styles.

You have to remember that Hoenn is a different region far away, so the pokemon are similar, but not the same as in Kanto and Johto.

enyce

banned
    Years
    calmind said:
    Oh, by all means I agree with this. A lot of the Hoenn monsters are nearly the same as the Kanto ones, but with different art styles.

You have to remember that Hoenn is a different region far away, so the pokemon are similar, but not the same as in Kanto and Johto.

I know that. But it was the pokemon creators who made them. Not some dudes in a TV. "Hey we are in a TV lets create a new region and new pokemon" It didnt work like that. Game freak or who ever made them. But into being a lot of refreshed pokemon.

When Johto was introduced almost if not all the pokemon were fresh. But Hoenn,is like a recycled country.

~Alakazam~

Psychic Eye
    Years
    You're right. I stayed off those games completely until ROMhacking this year. They're just not the same. Although the one pokemon that beat the Kanto look-alike was the spheal line vs. the seel line.

Natsuki

.bluefang.
    Years
    That's pretty interesting, I must admit. Maybe they're just "rip-offs", but maybe they are like "evolved" forms of the Kanto Pokemon (not evolved in the Pokemon way, but they literally evolved as in the scientific way XD). It could be something like Pangea, when all the continents were once connected to one another. Maybe all the Pokemon were once derived from one single species and sort of branched off from there.

Well...now that I'm done geeking out on ya'll...I do think that the people who design the characters could get a little more creative. XD; There's plenty of animals out there that haven't been used to modify Pokemon yet, so they could always do something like a zebra or a leopard or...something like that. XD

~Kelsey

Ai

; ♥ ~
    Years
    Yep I agree much. In fact, that was what me and my bro first said when we saw swellow and plusle and minun. "It looks like a pikachu O_o" "It's a stupid version of pidgeot!"
    what about wurmple and caterpie? feebas and magikarp? corphish and krabby. Honestly, those guys are running out of ideas. most of the hoen pokemon look... strange..

enyce

banned
    Years
    I didnt think about corpish and krabby until. I thought, kingler was like craudnawt.

Beautifly is like Butterfree, Dustox is like the Beedrill because of Bug/Poison...

Seedot-Nuzleaf-Shiftry are also the oddish Family ripoff

Then Lotad-Lombre-Ludicolo...are Bellsprout family ripoffs.

Well both first stage pokes evolve with a leaf stone. Oddish and Gloom were like the Gloomy darkish grass types. While Bellsprout and Wepinbell were the light. What you think Seedots and Loatds families are???

Milotic is just a prettier Gyarados. Feebas and Magikarp are both zeros who evolve into heroes. (good looks on a Feebas refrence AI)

Ai

; ♥ ~
    Years
    Well... i guess you could also think of male and female variations.... Gyarados is male, miliotic is female. alakazam male, gardevoir female etc..

Ice demon

All purpose cleaner ^^
    Years
    Ai said:
    Well... i guess you could also think of male and female variations.... Gyarados is male, miliotic is female. alakazam male, gardevoir female etc..

I can already sense the wrath of all those female gyarados.

The main beef i have with nintendo is plusle and minun.
    I really hate the both of them.They're such blatant ripoffs.

enyce

banned
    Years
    Ai said:

But all those pokemon come in male and female

Kraka-chan

From the Kraka Club
    Years
    When Johto was introduced almost if not all the pokemon were fresh. But Hoenn,is like a recycled country.
    Not only does Hoenn have the samish country but also the Devon Corp (Rustboro) is a take on Silph Corp (Saffron).
    <screams> They might even recycle the Jhoto Pokemon next!

Edit: Oh yeah, and you forgot Poochyena (Houndour).

blanX

I'm Content With Losing
    Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2007
    Hayate said:
    Don't forgot about the legendaries. Articuno = Regice, Zapdos = Raikou Moltres = Entei

(not to be mean or anything but instead of regice shouldn't it be suicune?)

anyways.,
    that being true.. but at least they made it different. like mew, mewtwo, articuno, zapdos, and moltres being ubers in stead of just 2 psycs and fire ice and lightning they made it.. fire/flying, flying/psychic/water, fire, ice/water, and lightning. and they're not so much ripoffs, just based on the plot of the kanto pokes. it's the same case with the starters. a fire, water, and leaf. just different forms. however the plusle-minun is just too far. two seperate pokemon, no evolution. either the guys at gamefreak are running out of ideas or they were REALLY rushed.

Kraka-chan

From the Kraka Club
    Years
    Hey, I've also come up with this.
    Poochyena and Mightheyna come from Houndour and Houndoom (from thier Dark Element) which come from Growlithe and Arcanine (from fire).
    If I find any more, I'll let you know.

Gyardosamped

entering snake habitat
    Years
    I agree with you. I think they made it like this so they can continue the series.. or maybe they could not think about the new pokemon too much...

Gokey Shuckle

Bisexual and Proud
    Years
    enyce said:
    If daimond and peral have Evee ripoffs. I'll be off pokemon forever

Heaven forbid Eevee should get another evo. -.-

How exactly are they ripoffs?

Pidgey = Pigeon
    Taillow = Swallow
    NOT THE SAME

Bagon = Dinosaur thing
    Dratini = Long snake-like thing
    NOT THE SAME

Along with all the others.

How is Seedot = Oddish whe both are in the same game? A ripoff isn't a ripoff if they appear in the same game. Same goes for Plusle/Minun & Pikachu. The pattern in the beginning of the game is 1 bird, 1 mammal, and 2 bugs.

R/B/Y
    Mammal - Rattata
    Bird - Pidgey
    Bug - Weedle/Caterpie

G/S/C
    Mammal - Sentret
    Bird - Hoothoot
    Bug - Ledyba/Spinarak

R/S/E
    Mammal - Zigzagoon/Poochyena
    Bird - Swellow/Wingull
    Bugs - Wurmple (Silcoon, Cascoon)

And how is Gengar a ripoff of Banette? Just because they are ghosts? Might as well say that Dusclops is a ripoff of Misdreavus.

The point is, none of the Pokemon are ripoffs, they are just following a common pattern. Beautifly wasn't meant to replace Butterfree. If it was, the Fire Red/Leaf Green wouldn't have been invented. You could trade Butterfree and have Beautifly on the same team. Hey wait! Quagsire and Whiscash are both Water/Ground. They must be ripoffs too.

A ripoff in a more general term would be something like that game called "Spectrobes." Similar premise, different monsters, but basically, they are trying to ripoff a Pokemon Game.

None of the Pokemon are ripoffs. NONE. Why aren't Krabby and Crawdaunt ripoffs? Because one is a crab and one is a crawfish. Remember, It's just a pattern, not a ripoff. They have different stats, different appearances, and different types. Also, they have different species.

Kraka-chan

From the Kraka Club
    Years
    Okay, they aren't rip-offs, but there are some Pokemon that are similar.
    Here's more:
    Beautitifly/Butterfree and Dustox/Venomoth (you may think Beedrill, but it definately reminds me more of Venomoth).
    I like Beautifly, but my sister is a big Butterfree fan, and also I find it cuter. Awww...

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Yeah, Dustox is a lot more like Venomoth than Beedrill.

Anyway, even if they're not rip-offs, you have to admit they are uncannilly similar to earlier pokemon. The game makers can easily change the stats of a new, similar pokemon from an old one and say, because of its different stats, its a whole different pokemon.

Back