• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Hoenn's timeline

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    I thought since the old thread died I'll make a new one...specially after all the discussion going on about this...
    Where in the timeline do you think Hoenn takes place? It's the only region without a set timeline without hard proof so try to provide proof for your stance when posting.

Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2012
    It's not set in stone but I think a lot of people infer that it takes place the same time as the events of FR/LG.

I believe at some point in the Sevii Islands they mention about linking Kanto to Hoenn, with no mention of time travel. (So it wasn't backwards compatibility like GSC -> RBY).

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    After looking at Steven Stone's page on Bulbapedia I found this:
    Bulbapedia said:
    Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver
    After exiting the Pokémon Fan Club
    "Hi! My name is Steven. The Champion from the Hoenn region. Have we met...before? That's not possible. All the Trainers I have battled seem to have the same look, anyway. Especially the ones who gave me tough battles... By the way, have you heard of a Pokémon called LatiasHG/LatiosSS? I am investigating why LatiasHG/LatiosSS, a Pokémon from Hoenn, decided to leave Hoenn to come here. LatiasHG/LatiosSS is a Pokémon that has a lot to do with Soul Dew, a gemlike Orb. Considering the fact that LatiasHG/LatiosSS is now in Kanto, it is possible to assume that this has to do with Soul Dew. LatiasHG/LatiosSS is a Pokémon that travels a great distance. It'd be difficult to find without any machine to track it with. But any Trainer will be drawn to it, won't they? I must go. May our journeys cross again."

Bulbapedia referenced this as Steven refering to his battle with Brandon/May. If so, then R/S/E is before HG/SS which puts it either right with R/B/Y or sometime between R/B/Y and G/S/C.

Pppgggr

Cheese, for everyone!
    Years
    It's not set in stone but I think a lot of people infer that it takes place the same time as the events of FR/LG.

I believe at some point in the Sevii Islands they mention about linking Kanto to Hoenn, with no mention of time travel. (So it wasn't backwards compatibility like GSC -> RBY).
    They're countries. You wouldn't need to time travel to connect to another country. They make no mention of the events of Hoenn, just that the countries can be connected through that device in the sevii isles.

Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2019
    I would say a year after Red, Yellow, Blue and Green. But it was confirmed that it was before GSC (even tho their tech seems more advance then in gen2)

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    I would say a year after Red, Yellow, Blue and Green. But it was confirmed that it was before GSC (even tho their tech seems more advance then in gen2)
    Where's the confirmation?

Jasmine says that the Steel-type was recently discovered, which would be odd considering that quite a few Steel-types are common in Hoenn, and the same goes for Dark-types. Not too sure about the whole Dark-type argument though.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Where's the confirmation?

Jasmine says that the Steel-type was recently discovered, which would be odd considering that quite a few Steel-types are common in Hoenn, and the same goes for Dark-types. Not too sure about the whole Dark-type argument though.

If you are talking about the Pre-Battle Quote:
    Jasmine said:
    "Thank you for your help at the Lighthouse... But this is different. Please allow me to introduce myself. I'm Jasmine, a Gym Leader. I use the Steel-type. ...Do you know about the Steel-type? It's a type that was only recently discovered. ...Um... May I begin?"

It was changed in HG/SS because Steel existed in FR/LG meaning Gen 1 had Steel and Dark Types. New before battle quote is:

Jasmine said:
    "Thank you for your help at the Lighthouse... But this is different. Please allow me to introduce myself. I'm Jasmine, a Gym Leader. I use the...clang! Steel type! ...Do you know about the Steel type? They are very hard, cold, sharp, and really strong! Um... I'm not lying."

psyanic

Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    Oops. Forgot that was only in GSC... Then yeah, I'm betting FRLG happened at the same time as Hoenn. Bill/Celio were talking about connecting to Hoenn at the time, and Steven showing up in HGSS hints towards him battling May/Brendan, which would probably explain why he's there in the first place since he's not the Champion.

gunnerpow7

☆ キレイハナ Kireihana ☆
    Years
    Well, I think Gen I's storyline is continuous with Gen III's storyline while 3 years later, Gen II's storyline is continuous to Gen IV's storyline. If we put it that way, then R/B/G/Y/FR/LG is continuous with R/S/E while 3 years later, G/S/C/HG/SS is continuous to D/P/Pt. If we go by that logic, Hoenn's timeline is the same with Kanto's timeline while Sinnoh's timeline is the same with Johto's timeline. Just saying.... =/

Last edited:

PaxAmericana

Resident Peacekeeper
    Years
    Hoenn seems to go with FR/LG almost perfectly.
    Hoenn goes in the slot between Kanto and Johto.
    Jasmine talking on how Steel had just been discovered means that Hoenn seems logical to go in between.
    Hoenn had Steel types, and then some got moved to Johto, and were discovered in Johto, filling Jasmine's quote.

psyanic

Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    Jasmine talking on how Steel had just been discovered means that Hoenn seems logical to go in between.
    Hoenn had Steel types, and then some got moved to Johto, and were discovered in Johto, filling Jasmine's quote.
    Whoa, what? That made no sense at all. They changed Jasmine's quote in HGSS, which seems to more in the timeline of the Pokemon world, since she doesn't mention the discovery of Steel-types in that game. However, she goes mention the discovery in GSC, where Steel and Dark-types were actually new to players; they didn't have them back in RBY.

And how were Steel-types just moved to Johto? Are you forgetting Magnemites/Magnetons in Kanto/Johto? Not to mention Scyther and Scizor aren't native to Hoenn, and the same goes for Onix and Steelix.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Whoa, what? That made no sense at all. They changed Jasmine's quote in HGSS, which seems to more in the timeline of the Pokemon world, since she doesn't mention the discovery of Steel-types in that game. However, she goes mention the discovery in GSC, where Steel and Dark-types were actually new to players; they didn't have them back in RBY.

And how were Steel-types just moved to Johto? Are you forgetting Magnemites/Magnetons in Kanto/Johto? Not to mention Scyther and Scizor aren't native to Hoenn, and the same goes for Onix and Steelix.

You answered your own question actually. R/B/Y Steel Types did no exist. Magnemite was Pure Electric then. G/S/C they "Discovered" Steel types and added Steel to Magnemite despite being from Generation 1.

I think what he meant by Moved to Johto, is the after story when more Pokemon are available in Johto, unlike how they were before.

I'd like to add in, despite Steelix and Scizor being made in Generation 2, Steelix and Scizor were/are not native to Johto. Steelix, until Generation 4 was classified as a "Human Created" Pokemon (Fan assumption focusing on Pokemon that cannot be found in the wild and only exist thanks to human influence). Scizor still does not exist outside of trade Evolution. So even despite being from Gen 2, Scizor itself is not native to Kanto or Johto, while steelix wasn't native to Johto or Kanto until Generation 4's HG/SS. Steelix was however native to Sinnoh.

WasSollDas

Fighting / Psychic ROOLZ!
    Years
    • Seen Nov 8, 2016
    Ok......Let me think about this. GSC came 3 years after RGBY, and between this period of time, the steel type was discovered. Then......RSE came, I guess (at least the game itself was created before the Gen 1 remake games), and then the G1 remakes......So......

Oh! Or maybe when steel was not introduced yet, RGBY was going on, then steel introduced, then GSC. Then, RSE came WITH the G1 remakes, so there were both steel types at that time.

What I'm saying is, that Gen 1 (RGBY->GSC) is one timeline, RSE is another timeline which happens at the same time the FRLG->HGSS timeline happens.

Whoa, this is confusing, sorry if I made things even more confusing......

Years
    • Seen Jul 6, 2015
    If Pokémon could only be Imported from the other games, it makes me think it came before the lot. But i can't remember how they claimed to "import" them in game... :/

although after reading all of those comments, i changed my mind. with steel and dark already existing, it must go around FRLG or just before... maybe. Because GSC was when dark and steel were "just discovered" and there is no mention of them being discovered recently in RSE. This makes me think that it took place long after they were discovered, where it was fairly norm, if you know what i mean.

Last edited:
    Back