• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

HOLY **** THEIR ART! [v2.0]

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
Years
  • Previous thread died a while ago. So I'm making a new one. Purpose of this thread is to share and discuss artworks by artists that have awed you. Made you - go holy hell this is awesome!

I'll start by saying that I came across this webcomic called girls of the wild's. It got amazing art. Especially for a weekly series. Attention to detail, amazing coloring and just such expressive art. I loved it. Just skim through a chapter or two to know what I'm talking about. Not good enough examples on google images, sadly. The series ain't that popular, I guess.
    www.batoto.net/read/_/22351/girls-of-the-wilds_ch1_by_webtoon-live
    Spoiler:

edit - so I got some examples. Decent ones. Don't do the series justice, nope. But there's only so much I can do on mobile.

Last edited:

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
    Years
  • Did I reply to the last topic that was like this? I never know what I'm doing anymore. TT_TT

I feel like I'm deja vu-ing, but I could swear writing once before that I don't really have/know a lot of admired artists unless I happened to be on a forum/oekaki where there usernames are apparent. I otherwise search specifically for Pokemon or other characters I like on something like Google images, save cool looking art, and go on with my business. This is actually kind of terrible because I can never refer back to it unless they left a signature, ID tag or I KNOW it came from Pixiv (I actively search for Japanese art, too n_n;).

A part of that, admittingly, is due to tunnel vision. When I'm on a fan art mission, I tend to just aim straight for whatever I searched for and collect like it's no one's business. I start to notice moreso when I see more pics of the same subject from the same person. It becomes less of a one-off and more of a "ok, so this person likes X too. Cool. Let's see what else they got".

It's pretty terrible, yeah.

Otherwise, I love anything that makes great use of color, or anything that knows how to stylize really really well, and isn't afraid to take things off model for the sake of feeling. The subject doesn't matter, and I'll usually save pics like that regardless because I'm so enamoured by the coloring or style. Those are my favorite things about any kind of art, next to good humor, anyway.

Attachments: Here's some examples of both color and what I mean by "I just collect stuff". I know the Sandslash came from an oekaki that may have been personal use. Saved it in '09 so who knows if it still exists. No idea where I got the Raichu. Jolteon and Milk from Pop'n Music are from Pixiv, but I can't recall the users. I hate not knowing at times because I'm very pro "credit the source", which is why I typically don't make a habit of doing this.

Sourced: Now, here's two sources I know I can credit because I frequent Sonic Retro so much. The first is Natsu-no-hi. I first saw her Metallic Madness pic thanks to SEGA's Sonic CD fan art contest a couple of years back. She's not only good at color, but she draws Sonic in Sonic CD style regardless of the game. Very yes.

Contest Winning Pic
    Sonic Colors Perspective of Awesome

Then there's Vantoggle/Nerfuffle. Good stuff all around, but this is the pic that inspired many.

Back