• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How a 3DS Main-series Game Could Work

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    We all know that, somewhere down the road, a 3DS main series game is coming. The series needs to reinvent itself, and this is how I believe an all new game could work.

New Graphics
    The series needs to move away from sprites. Although many want a main series game in 3D like the gamecube rpgs, I don't think that's where Pokemon should go.

In my opinion, battles should be cinematic like the console games, but the overworld should stay similar. Instead of sprites, sprite-styled 3D models could be used. These would allow greater animation, but keep the feel of the series as a whole.

More Expansive Environments
    Let's be honest. On a handheld like the 3DS, three house towns aren't going to cut it anymore. We need our environments to be large. Have places that encourage exploration. Make us get lost, or have a map on the bottom screen. No place in real life has towns with ten people in them unless you're in the middle of nowhere. Unova just felt too....empty....

A Greater Story
    I don't mean remove the classic 'eight gyms' tale. I mean, bring a story into it that incorporates all the classic Pokemon elements, but makes our hearts pound, gets us going. With the new graphics engine I proposed, we could have more cinematic cut scenes with some great special effects.

Please comment! Would you like to see a game like this?

Jacinth

~Darling~
    Years
  • Oh, definetley! That's a great idea! I would like it if they made the areas larger, like you said, and move away from the sprites. (Or atleast add good quality to them. The pixelation in Black/white annoys me a bit.)

Plasmette

Master of Mediocrity.
    Years
    • Seen Jan 12, 2013
    I would keep sprites. BUT, instead of being all pixely, they are HD 2d drawings. Like sprites. Take Rayman Orgins, or Eathworm Jim HD for example.

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    I suggested the 3D models sprite styled (like the player in Dragon Quest IX) because it would allow greater control over the animations.

He could have trainers high five you, pat you on the back, physically hand items to you and all others simply, rather than drawing new sprites for each action.

And definitely keep the 3D down. Maybe have interiors in 3D and only have characters and items in 3D on the overworld.

Years
  • I'm sure a main series pokemon game will end up on the 3DS eventually. The regular DS is slowly becoming old and they will need to transitition to another system for their games.

But yeah, 3D battles would be great.

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    I say we'll get Ruby and Sapphire remakes on the DS, then start a new generation on the 3DS in 2014 (3 year old system, just like with the DS)

Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2012
    I really like the sound of that... Perhaps we shall see it in Gen VI, ahaha.

Back