• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Question] How and where to start?

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2023
    Hello everyone,

I'm an absolute newbie if it comes to rom hacking and quite frankly got no clue where to even begin. I'm essentially at Step 0. I've tried to look through the different forums but to no avail, I didn't find anything cohesive.
    Essentially what I'd like to do is a FireRed or Emerald hack where I can do the following:

• add phys/special split
    • change Base Stats of Pokemon
    • change Types
    • change abilities
    • change moves (for example, accuracy, power, or bonus effects)
    • add new moves
    • add abilities from newer games (like mold breaker etc)
    • change evolution methods
    • Add pokemon from more generations (gen 4+)
    • change pokemon spawns
    • change pokemon that other trainer got
    • add new trainer
    • add level caps (to prevent overleveling)

While I found a lot of resources, for example about the phys/special split, all of it seems to come with a certain prerequisite of knowledge. Along the lines of "you can use this to do that" while I'm wondering with what do I use it and where do I apply it and what do I need? if that makes sense. If any of you got resources to link me that an absolute beginner with no programming knowledge like me can use to experiment around with the mentioned above, I'd be very thankful.

Many thanks in advance

Dami~

Years
    • Seen Apr 30, 2023
    Check the ROM hacking section of the forum for better advice. This section is for developing Fan Games, which is a different process than ROM hacking, and doesn't use the actual games as a base. Fan Games are typically made using Pokemon Essentials in the program RPGMaker XP.

Try Here or here for a starting point.

Back