• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How did turning off AR mode solve this problem?

Years
    • Seen Sep 23, 2016
    I cleaned the cache and the data, uninstalled Pokemon Go, and rebooted the phone, all of which I have done before.

Since people have been describing problems getting my phone to run Pokemon Go from data when it was installed with wifi, I installed it with data this time.

I gave it my birth date, said to sign up with gmail, it never asked me what gmail or asked for log in informaiton. ???

For a time instead it sent into spinning ball and can't authenticate mode again.

Then it loaded Pokemon, but I got back to the screen with a green map of the area around my house, my avitar and three Pokemons, and no balls, and no icons anywhere on the screen.

I pressed on a Pokemon harder than usual. I had pressed just about every part of that screen before.

Suddenly up popped a box saying not detecting orentation, would you like to turn off AR mode. No clue what the heck that is, but I said yes.

When I did that, suddenly a ball appeared at the base of the screen, and I threw it at the Pokemon, and caught him. Then the trainer reappeared and asked what I want to be called. Then the training finished.

My housemate says AR mode is when other devices work with your camera. So if I turned off AR mode I won't see the pokemons where they really are, but on the green map instead. Which frankly gets rid of half the fun.

But I don't understand. How did this specifically fix that problem?

I have a brand new LG Stylo 2 Plus or Pro with 2 GB RAM and 1.4 quad core processor. Reviewers are saying specifically that it runs Pokemon Go. It seems like it should have the resources.

Thanks!

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2017
    I never use AR mode. That solves many problems.

With AR mode, your camera has to be working, and you need to look all the way around to see where the pokemon is, so the orientation sensors on the phone also need to work nicely. Catching the pokemon is then generally more awkward (people may think you are filming them because you are pointing around with your phone) and sometimes more difficult. It also needs more battery power.

So its a weird and fun feature that most people consider completely and utterly useless.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2016
    AR mode was a nice feature for about an hour but once you realise how much battery it uses then its difficult to use for long especially as PoGo drains battery anyway so best to avoid any further battery drains, also pokemon are easier to catch when not using the camera. They are usually nearer and you can move around without the pokemon going off screen

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Honestly, if you're going to use AR mode at all, it's best to use it just to take a picture of the Pokemon in a real world setting, if that's your thing, and then turn it back off. I was excited to keep AR mode on at first during all my encounters, but it just makes you waste that many more Pokeballs, because of how much it makes the game shake around when you hold your phone. If you can't use it, then I wouldn't worry too much. You're not missing much actual gameplay - it's way easier and more efficient to turn AR mode off 95% of the time.

The mode itself is still kinda shaky and I feel like they need to make improvements on it before any of us can really use it as intended.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen May 15, 2024
    When I first did the game I saw a Spearow and clicked it.
    The camera was on and worked but the Spearow was invisible. Then it said to turn off AR. After that the Pokemon appeared in a cartoony woods scene.

Now anytime I have to take the battery out of my phone because my avatar became invisible or because the game froze, anytime I have to completely turn off my phone it will automatcally turn AR back on so have to turn it off each time.

Back