• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do i add a buddy and what do they do?

Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2022
    I only realized after a long months hiatus that go now introduced buddies but how do i do it and what do they do?

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2017
    Click lower left, meaning your character, select buddy, choose a pokemon.

You get candy of the chosen type as you walk, the possible distances to get a candy are 1 kilometer, 3 kilometer and 5 kilometer. Choose something good like larvitar, chansey, snorlax or dratini. Do not use it just for evolutions to fill gaps in your pokedex.

Choose your buddy based on two criteria: Pick from the very top of the list of strongest arena pokemon, and pick one where you have one with good IVs (and good moveset if already evolved), where the candy can help you get something truly strong and amazing.

I have two nice larvitars with over 90% IV, none of the evolutions, no tyranitar, and only 50 candy, so i will be walking around with larvitar for MONTHS. The only possible switch i see for me is between larvitar and chansey.

Back