• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen How do I breed specifics in either of the gen 5 games?

Years
  • Dear PC,

I am trying to get the hang of breeding and needed some help understanding different methods.

So how does one control the offsprings gender, hidden ability, its second ability (like moxie over intimidate for example) and how do I get a perfect 6IV mon? Also Say if I followed the method and got an offspring with 6IV, right gender and ability how do I keep breeding for a shiny without changing these values?

Years
  • Breeding is no easy task, without a 6 31IVs Ditto. First of all, you might want to catch a lots of Ditto so you can get the Nature you want. The easiest way to pass IVs is to use the Power Items or Destiny Knot. Power Items passes the IVs what you want. For eg, say you want to pass 31IV of Atk from your Ditto to your Gyarados. Give your Ditto to hold the Power Bracer and Breed it with Gyarados/Magikarp. The Breeded Pokemkon will have the Maximum Atk IVs. Note that in order to have a Max Atk Gyarados, you must have a Max Atk Ditto, or anyone in the egg group which Gyarados belongs. iirc, Gyarados belongs to Water & Dragon egg group. So it can breed with other who belongs to Water/Dragon group, like Blastoise/Charizard. Destiny Knot also helps in breeding by a lot. By default, while breeding you have a chance to pass 3 random IVs from the Parents to the Offspring. It can be anything. Like Atk/Def/SpAtk, Atk/SpAtk/Spe, Def/SpDef/Spe etc. By giving one of your Pokemon holding the Destiny Knot, you have the chance of passing 5IVs at random at a time. So you can get a 31/0/31/31/31/31IV Alakazam to reduce the damage as much as possible from Foul Play & Confusion. It is also random though, so you have to breed quiet a few times to get what you exactly want.
    Everstone is an item which imo is the most used item in Breeding. What it does is passes the nature of the Parents to the Offspring. For example, a Bold Blissey holding a Everstone will produce a Bold nature Offspring.
    For the Shiny Pokemons, it's totally luck. You have like 1 out of 8000 something chance to get a Shiny Pokemon. The item Shiny Charm increases that to near 1000. So if you have a Shiny Charm, You'll have 1/1000 something chance to get a Shiny. Destiny Knot can be used to pass the 5 IVs and get a Shiny.
    I am not not a breeding expert so I can't say much. You should better search on google for everything you need. That's what I do whenever I need any help. But I hope it helps a little.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    The hatched Pokémon's gender will always be random; there is absolutely no way to affect it.

In gen 5, the female Pokémon must have the Hidden Ability for the chance of it being passed if it does not breed with a Ditto. Males in gen 5 can not pass down Hidden Abilities. In BW, if you meet the right conditions, there is a 60% chance of the hatched Pokémon having the Hidden Ability, and in B2W2 it's an 80% chance.

As for the regular Abilities, in gen 5 I don't think there is any way to guarantee what the hatched Pokémon will have. I think in gen 6, the mother's Ability has a higher chance of passing down, but I don't know if that applies to gen 5.

Breeding for IVs is difficult in gen 5. You'll want to stick an Everstone on the right parent to guarantee passing down that Nature; for the IVs, you'll need to use a mix of Power Items to guarantee a specific IV being passed down (for example, if a parent is holding the Power Belt then that parent's Defense IV will always be passed to the child) and both parents having perfect IVs in general. The Destiny Knot being able to pass down IVs began in gen 6; in gen 5, there is a 1/6 chance that each individual IV value from the parents will be passed down. It takes a lot of patience to get the Pokémon you want to hatch.

As for shininess, owning the Shiny Charm increases the chance of obtaining a shiny Pokémon in all instances, so that will help. The only other method that would help is the Masuda Method, which is simply that if the two parents used are from different regions (one from Japan and one from North America, for example) then the chance of the offspring being shiny is increased. The Shiny Charm and Masuda Method are the only two ways available to increase the chance of shininess in a hatched Pokémon.

If you absolutely must IV breed in gen 5, it will be in your best interest to search for a gen 5-specific breeding guide for the specifics on IV inheritance. Gen 6 introduced a lot of conveniences that simply aren't present in gen 5, so looking up a gen 6 guide will not suffice. I hope this was able to help at least a little, though, and I wish you good luck in your breeding endeavors!

Back