• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] How do I get started?

Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2014
    (This is my first post on here, so if I seem like a noob at hacking it's because I probably am.)

Throughout the last year or so I've been developing (on paper) an idea for a pokemon hack. I've heard "RPG Maker XP" is pretty good hack program but it's only good for 30 days. Also I don't have money for the paid version. (Not sure if spreading my idea is a good idea) but the names of my hack would be either "Pokemon Super Version & Pokemon Ultra Version" or "Pokemon Sultra Version" a combination of both names. Thanks for taking the time to read this! :P

Question 1: Should I use a ROM to "make it" or is some type of game program better?

Question 2: Is there anything better than "RPG Maker XP" for hacking from scratch?

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Using RPG Maker and hacking are two completely different things, as are the perks and disadvantages to using both.

For instance, RPG Maker isn't hacking because you aren't modifying roms, you're making games from scratch. It's not as simple as hacking, but it does allow for more freedom. In fact, some things in game making are simpler than in hacks.

In that sense, I don't really think I can one is "easier" than the other or vice versa; Rom Hacking and RPG Maker are just two different beasts that are rather difficult to compare. It's better that you try both out and see which one you like more and go with it.

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
    Years
  • RPG Maker isn't used in ROM Hacking, that's a Game Development application. While ROM Hacking and Game Dev may look similar as you can make your very own games with them, they are actually quite different. ROM Hacking is editing already released games (Fire Red, Gold, Red etc) so that they have different stories, events and Pokemon, while Game Dev games don't utilise ROMs as a starting point and are made completely differently.

If you are interested in ROM Hacking rather than Game Development then you should decide what game you're going to hack to make it. Different games have different strengths, weaknesses and limitations though the most commonly used ones are Fire Red and Ruby as they have the most tutorials and information available.

Years
  • With everything that was already said, you should check out the "Tools, Tutorials & Resources" thread that is located in the ROM Hacking Category. This can help you get a basic understanding of what you need to know when it comes to ROM Hacking. Also, instead of using that RPG Maker XP, for a ROM Hack you would need a good downloadable version of Advanced Map.

I hope I helped. :)

Back