• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you battle Pok?mon?

How do you battle Pok?mon?

• Head On

Votes: 20 57.1%
  • Carefully

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Status Effecting

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Stat Effecting

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Combination of the Above

Votes: 14 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Random Plushie

Yes, it is a sheep
    Years
    I usually always start off with buffing or otherwise status inflicting moves, and then just heal the damage away when I'm done powering up. It's fun to massacre teams that way. :3

Or, if I'm not using that kind of Pokemon, I kill them off slowly with annoying moves.

I only go head-on if I'm playing in-game, or if I have buffed up enough where I'm sure they'll go down in one hit.

Chronos said:
    I go with head on. Elemental advantage I sometimes go for depending on the level, but I never go for status inducing moves unless I'm trying to catch something. I see no point in putting something to sleep with Hypnosis then using Dream Eater with a Gengar when you could just as easily kill the Pokemon with Psychic.

Eh? Psychic on Gengar? :/

[Paper Wings]

Cosmic Castaway
    Years
    Alter Ego said:
    Ever heard of Counter or Mirror Coat? Or perhaps more importantly, ever felt them? The difference between a one-hit KO and a two-hit KO becomes quite glaringly obvious in that instance. The best way to defeat an opponent is to either whittle their HP away with status/weather effects or to hit them once and hit them hard, even if that hit requires a bit of preparation. Although I do agree that moves like Howl and Harden are a waste. Swords Dance and Iron Defense are more like it. However, that comparison is kind of faulty because it is just about as valid as me asking...why should anyone go head-on with 'Rapid Spin or Bubble?', picking the lowest-class stat-affecting moves and railing against them is kind of an awkward way to prove your point. :\

Yes, but how often do you come across Counter or Mirror Coat? Once in a blue moon, unless you're in a area full of Wobbuffet, and in the end, there still aren't very many places for that, either. And don't tell me, "Well when you battle against your friends!" I have no one like that to battle against, so in my many years of being a blacksheep of the fandom, I've only seen both moves being used a handful of times each.

But I know what they can do. I've been hit with them. I'm not incompetent. But in a double battle, if you're quick enough and plan right, you can evade the blow by focusing both of your attacks on the Pok?mon that has the move and hope they add up to a KO. Single battle? Same thing, but if that fails... Then dem. Just try again. Why drag the battle out because you're too afraid to take a chance and use a high-damage attack?

But I'm more hard-headed than a Bagon with Rock Head, so I still don't see the point in moves that don't do damage (this includes status-inflicting moves, but I'll occassionally use those) and I doubt I ever will. I'm just violent like that. :D

Years
    • MD
    • Seen Mar 17, 2007
    Alter Ego said:
    Erm...maybe because once you've buffed up with, say...3 Swords Dances and have a suitable arsenal of physical moves you can sweep away not only the current opponent but also more or less everything else your opponent has got to throw at you? In my experience, head-on attacking is the staple of careless opponents who are easy to stump with a little strategy. -.- And at any rate, buffing moves should always be accompanied by healing moves in my opinion. That way you can max out your chosen stat(s), remove the damage your opponent caused in the mean time and then just massacre them.
    Ya a strategy like that only works when going against trainers and not wild Pok?mon because the point of such a strategy is to beat up multiple Pok?mon in a row with one of yours but in the wild that isn't the case and last I checked in Pok?mon games you battle ton's of wild Pok?mon and just a few handful of trainers so tailoring a Pok?mon to battle Pok?mon trainers like that are less effective against wild Pok?mon unless of course you don't mind waiting but most people I think like to get a fight with a wild Pok?mon done as fast as possible unless of course they want to capture said Pok?mon in which case you still wouldn't use the strategy because one by the time your stat is raised it could run away, two if you wanna capture it you obviously don't wanna raise your attack and decimate them in one hit.

Smarties-chan

Should've had that name change
    Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    Ya a strategy like that only works when going against trainers and not wild Pok?mon because the point of such a strategy is to beat up multiple Pok?mon in a row with one of yours but in the wild that isn't the case and last I checked in Pok?mon games you battle ton's of wild Pok?mon and just a few handful of trainers so tailoring a Pok?mon to battle Pok?mon trainers like that are less effective against wild Pok?mon unless of course you don't mind waiting but most people I think like to get a fight with a wild Pok?mon done as fast as possible unless of course they want to capture said Pok?mon in which case you still wouldn't use the strategy because one by the time your stat is raised it could run away, two if you wanna capture it you obviously don't wanna raise your attack and decimate them in one hit.
    Since when have wild Pok?mon...

a) Been even close to the level of your own Pok?mon (unless you have been sloppy with the training -_-)?

b) Had so high stats that you actually need to buff up against them? -_-

Also... To be honest, how many wild Pok?mon actually run away? Besides, if you actually use a Pok?mon in your team and your Pok?mon is weak enough not to one hit-KO a let's say... Larvitar your Pok?mon is rather pathetic -_- And catching Pok?mon is exactly what stallers are good for.

Anyway... I prefer inflicting a status or a similar condition (Leech seed and Will-o-wisp are my absolute favourites ^_^), then hit the opponent hard. Of course most of my teams also include a buffer, and a Charizard with Swords Dance, a decent flying attack and Earthquake is pretty darn much deadlier than a pathetic spec.sweeper Charizard >.>

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
    phunboy said:

Let me see if I got this straight...you only train pok?mon to fight against wild pok?mon? Excuse me if i lol here but...lol, wild pok?mon are crap. Anything with a damaging move and even an equal level can beat a wild pok?mon, it's the trainer battles that actually provide some challenge (Although most of them are way too easy). There's about as much sense in training a whole team of pok?mon specifically to beat wild ones as there is in training a Machamp specifically to beat Rattatas. Concerning your comment about their amount...you call that a handfull? I do know for a fact that playing through Emerald requires you to enter several hundreds of trainer battles, easy, and that's not counting rematches. But yes, if you are the rather sad type that considers running about in a small patch of grass for hours at an end and beating wild pok?mon after wild pok?mon rather than going out and finding some real battles the best part of the pok?mon games then...fine. Still, it doesn't change the fact that a buffing move doesn't make a pok?mon any less competent at beating wild ones, unless we're just counting the total PP value of damaging moves, which is a very poor measure of power. -.-

[Paper Wings] said:
    Yes, but how often do you come across Counter or Mirror Coat? Once in a blue moon, unless you're in a area full of Wobbuffet, and in the end, there still aren't very many places for that, either. And don't tell me, "Well when you battle against your friends!" I have no one like that to battle against, so in my many years of being a blacksheep of the fandom, I've only seen both moves being used a handful of times each.

I take it, you don't have pok?mon Emerald then? Ho-hum, probably not. If you did then you'd know that you can't swing around a dead chinook in that place without hitting something with a counter attack move. -.- Not only do a good deal of the generic opponent builds have them, but also at least three of the Frontier Brains' pok?mon (Lucy's Milotic and Tucker's Swampert come to mind) . And for your information, the Battle Pyramid sometimes has escape blockers for a theme, in which case the whole place is indeed swarming with Wobbuffet. And you don't need friends with cable-connecting to battle another human. Go type in 'NetBattle' in google or whatever search engine you like to use and you'll see what I mean.

Years
    • MD
    • Seen Mar 17, 2007
    Alter Ego said:
    Let me see if I got this straight...you only train pok?mon to fight against wild pok?mon? Excuse me if i lol here but...lol, wild pok?mon are crap. Anything with a damaging move and even an equal level can beat a wild pok?mon, it's the trainer battles that actually provide some challenge (Although most of them are way too easy). There's about as much sense in training a whole team of pok?mon specifically to beat wild ones as there is in training a Machamp specifically to beat Rattatas. Concerning your comment about their amount...you call that a handfull? I do know for a fact that playing through Emerald requires you to enter several hundreds of trainer battles, easy, and that's not counting rematches. But yes, if you are the rather sad type that considers running about in a small patch of grass for hours at an end and beating wild pok?mon after wild pok?mon rather than going out and finding some real battles the best part of the pok?mon games then...fine. Still, it doesn't change the fact that a buffing move doesn't make a pok?mon any less competent at beating wild ones, unless we're just counting the total PP value of damaging moves, which is a very poor measure of power. -.-
    Never said that, I just meant to specifically train Pok?mon to deal with trainer's when you overall battle way more wild Pok?mon seems a bit of a waste of time as you will mainly battle wild Pok?mon and not trainers as last I checked battling a ton of wild Pok?mon is why your Pok?mon can get to levels necessary to learn the moves you speak of.

I don't train my Pok?mon to be good at either going against wild Pok?mon or trainers solely, I train them to be able to go against both as all trainers should do. Because training a Pok?mon to solely go against just wild Pok?mon or just trainers is foolish as you need to train them for both as you go against both.

Last edited:

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
    phunboy said:
    Never said that, I just meant to specifically train Pok?mon to deal with trainer's when you overall battle way more wild Pok?mon seems a bit of a waste of time as you will mainly battle wild Pok?mon and not trainers as last I checked battling a ton of wild Pok?mon is why your Pok?mon can get to levels necessary to learn the moves you speak of.

I don't train my Pok?mon to be good at either going against wild Pok?mon or trainers solely, I train them to be able to go against both as all trainers should do. Because training a Pok?mon to solely go against just wild Pok?mon or just trainers is foolish as you need to train them for both as you go against both.

But a trainer's pok?mon is just like a wild pok?mon except that it's stronger, has a better moveset and a smarter AI. So if you train a pok?mon capable of defeating a bunch of trained pok?mon then it will have no probelm whatsoever of beating some random wild ones. Yes, I fight a lot of wild pok?mon, but I don't stick my pok?mon movesets full of as many high-PP damaging moves as possible (Which, arguably, would be the best ones for fighting wild pok?mon as you will always have a significant level advantage against them (Unless you really suck at the game) and so would be able to OHKO them with just about anything that deals damage) I fail to see how for instance, adding in Swords Dance, which can actually make the difference between life and death in a real battle, would have made my Absol's three remaining attack moves any less suited for fighting wild pok?mon. Quite frankly, I don't know what the heck you are going on about.

Last edited:

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
    Years
    ♠♣♥♦♠♣♥♦♠♣♥♦♠♣♥♦

In game, I always hit hard and fast since that's the quickest way to finish a battle. Unless, of course, the Pokemon I'm training is more defensive, like Dusclops or Umbreon. Then its status time!

But on Netbattle, that's a whole different story. You really have to balance a whole different variety of strategies. My current team uses lots of Baton Passing, some sweeping, some walling, and I could probably do with a phazer and spinner.

♠♣♥♦♠♣♥♦♠♣♥♦♠♣♥♦

Back