• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen How do you grind?

Years
    I'm sure it's part of the game, but I get sick of grinding my Pokemon. Is there any ways that is easier? I usually just grab a few of a moderate level for what I'll be fighting (in the grass), and grab a couple lower level ones, and switch around my Exp. Share as the Pokemon gain levels. Is there a better way to be doing this?

Note: Just started back up playing Pokemon (plat) and never really played much in depth until now.

(And one more question... what is this that everyone's talking about to get shinies... I forget the name of it, but... what does it mean?)

Pearlone

Beginning Mapper Spriter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2017
    In Platinum I think its easier to "grind" because of the Vs. Seeker, you just have to find a trainer with a pretty weak pokemon to beat that gives a lot of exp. I can't think of examples on the top of my head right away, but when I'll remember some i'll post them.

Years
    I have so many Poketch app's I have no idea which ones are which? What's the Vs. Seeker look like? I've seen a few posts that have mentioned it, but I couldn't tell you if I have it or not. What level/area do you get it in do you know? ((and thanks!!))

Ronin

Lazlo Woodbine’s apprentice
    Years
    ladyfiaragc

It's a key item rather than an app so it'll be in your key items bag. You get it during the course of the game from Dawn/Scott so you should have it if you've completed the game.

Lady Snowblood

Event collector~
    Years
    Well.

'Grinding' isn't a big issue for me, as I EV train the Pokemon first, then level it with Rare Candies.

Since It's already EV'd, it doesn't effect that stats.

I just clone as many Rare Candies I need using AR.

dozo

party hardy
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2014
    Getchu a Lucky Egg, kid! It doubles grinding powers. :P

shookie

Often scatters things.
    Years
    (And one more question... what is this that everyone's talking about to get shinies... I forget the name of it, but... what does it mean?)
    Masuda Method? It's when you breed a Pokémon with another one that's foreign to your game, as in, if you have an English game, you would get a German or a Spanish or a Japanese Pokémon and breed with it. Doing so reduces the chance of hatching a shiny from 1/8192 to 1/2048.
    Or, do you mean chaining? That's when you use the Poké Radar to encounter (or "chain") the same species of Pokémon one after another until you've seen the same species of Pokémon dozens of times in a row. Once you do this to where you've seen ~40 in a row, the chances of encountering a shiny of that species goes way up. There are a ton of videos on YouTube about it (and Masuda Method).

About grinding though, when it comes to non-EV training, I usually just use the Vs. Seeker with the Lucky Egg once the wild Pokémon by the Battle/Survival Area/Stark Mountain are too low to get very far. I also make sure to check the Poké Center trainers and the maids in the Pokémon Mansion as well as the gym/trainer rematches (in Platinum). Once I finish EV training a Pokémon I just let them tag along with an Exp. Share.

Years
    About grinding though, when it comes to non-EV training, I usually just use the Vs. Seeker with the Lucky Egg once the wild Pokémon by the Battle/Survival Area/Stark Mountain are too low to get very far. I also make sure to check the Poké Center trainers and the maids in the Pokémon Mansion as well as the gym/trainer rematches (in Platinum). Once I finish EV training a Pokémon I just let them tag along with an Exp. Share.

I see... I'm just now getting to Snowpeak... so I might not be far enough in for the Vs. Seeker and/or Lucky Egg, but I'll be on the lookout!

And I was referring to chaining. So uh... I apparently have no idea what the Pokeradar is either... Wow I feel like a noob haha.

Years
    ladyfiaragc

It's a key item rather than an app so it'll be in your key items bag. You get it during the course of the game from Dawn/Scott so you should have it if you've completed the game.

Ahhh yes, I found this in my key items section last night... not quite sure how to use it yet... BUT! I will figure it out! Thank you!

shookie

Often scatters things.
    Years
    So uh... I apparently have no idea what the Pokeradar is either... Wow I feel like a noob haha.
    Did you beat the Elite Four and get the National Pokédex? If you did, it should be another key item of yours.
    Using both it and the Vs. Seeker are simple, you just need to register it to your Y key (like you do with say, your Bicycle, or Town Map). With the Vs. Seeker, just go to where there were other trainers that you've fought and press the Y button. If a little bubble with exclamation points appear over their head, you can talk to them to fight them again. If not, walk 100 steps to recharge the battery and try again.
    The Poké Radar is a little trickier when you're concerned about chaining. You just need to use it in tall grass and you'll see some grass shaking. It will shake in two different ways: slowly for common Pokémon and quicker for rarer Pokémon. Froggy has a great chaining guide, and Z33 has really good videos too.

Don't worry about feeling like a noob though, we all were at some point :P I had Pearl for almost a year before I could even beat the Elite Four, and I didn't know what the Vs. Seeker was either.
    Oh, I should also mention that the Vs. Seeker is a great way to make money too. On the route outside of the Pokémon Mansion is an old man and an old woman. If you have your lead Pokémon hold the Amulet Coin and re-battle them until their Pokémon reaches their highest level, you'll get 24,400 dollars(?) every time you beat them.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2013
    Well.

'Grinding' isn't a big issue for me, as I EV train the Pokemon first, then level it with Rare Candies.

Since It's already EV'd, it doesn't effect that stats.

I just clone as many Rare Candies I need using AR.

yeah alot of people dont like to cheat.

Years
    Shookie;
    Thank you SO much!
    I've been a little low on cash lately too, so that's fantastic, and no, I haven't beaten the elite four yet. So thanks again! And yea... I guess everyone was new with Pokemon at one point. Just seems like this forum is full of people who know what their doing, and I felt a little stupid asking something like that, that everyone seems to know about already!
    This will make leveling my pokemon much easier!
    Thanks again sweets! <3

PS You're all so nice, I'm really glad I found this place!

Back