• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you prefer maps? Vertical or horizontal?

Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2014
    Which do you prefer more? Mapping horizontally or vertically?

Like, the overall sizing of the map, vertical or horizontal?

EDIT: Topic title changed due to the confusion / misleading title.

Last edited:

colcolstyles

Yours truly
    Years
  • I feel that a hack needs to have a blend of both or the maps will get stale very quickly. For example, R/S/E has super long vertical maps like Routes 111, 119, and 120 (to name only a few) but at the same time there are some decently long horizontal maps like Routes 113 and 123. Of course, you can't forget about square maps too. ;D

The Noob Hacker

Praise the sun.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2016
    I agree.

But I have to say I like really big rectangular maps for towns and cities. Then again, I love the towns and cities to be huge anyways.

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
    Years
  • I prefer both to make a hack enjoyable. I like mapping horizontal maps, but I find vertical maps easier to do. :3

Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2014
    Yeah, thats what I meant, which mapping you like "better". I suppose the title of the topic is a bit misleading.

Of course a hack needs all types of maps to be original and comfortably playable.

But what I meant was do you like mapping horizontal or vertical.

-changing title-

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    I can't really say that I have a favorite. Although, I do enjoy making vertical maps, because I find the easier.

timaeus222

Music Composer, Mixing/Mastering Engineer
    Years
  • I prefer horizontal because for some reason vertical maps make me feel squished when making them. >_>

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2022
    Oh, a good blend of both most definitely. I'd go crazy if all of the maps had the same shape. Variety is key for me!

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • Of course, a real region map would have to have both types... personally, I think the best maps are square ones that wind around in multiple directions. You'll pretty much never see one of my maps go 100% straight vertical, or horizontal.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    My maps tend to always grow horizontal no matter how hard I try. :Va

Back