• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you read your manga?

Snivi

..•.¸¸•´¯`•.¸. ஐ
Years
  • How do you read your manga? Do you like to read it online or read the actual book or both? Does it depend?

For me I highly enjoy reading the actual book rather than reading it online. However if a manga is not licensed then I will read it online or if I really wanna know what happens next I will read ahead of where the released manga is online....etc

Ibuberu

prepare yourself pls
    Years
  • Same with me, I prefer reading manga in real life rather than to read it online. However, if the plot is juicy then, by all means, online manga, here I come! Plus, I sometimes don't have enough money to spend on manga. ;.; I also tend to read the first chapter of a manga I intend to buy, online, just to make sure its holding up to my expectations.

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years
  • I used to buy, but ever since moving here manga cafes have been much more cheaper for me.
    1 hour 300 yen, free drink bar, free online access AND all you can read manga is godly for a poor uni student.

Snivi

..•.¸¸•´¯`•.¸. ஐ
    Years
  • I used to buy, but ever since moving here manga cafes have been much more cheaper for me.
    1 hour 300 yen, free drink bar, free online access AND all you can read manga is godly for a poor uni student.

That sounds so neat! I wish they had that in America.

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years
  • That sounds so neat! I wish they had that in America.
    I guess the problem will be the overall need for it in America...
    My cousin used to work part time in one near Kobe, and according to him, he lost count of how many people go to a middle sized manga cafe (which is open 24H) each day.
    But in America, I'm not sure if the amount of people going to one will be enough for the cafe to make a profit.

Plus, as far as I know, manga cafes get their manga in bulk from the second hand market, so it's cheaper than dirt.
    But manga is expensive in the States, right? If so... the cost of starting a cafe will be... scary to imagine.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
  • I feel like I cheated if I read anything online. There's just something about owning a ridiculous amount of manga that makes a girl feel proud if her wasted money o3o

Plus, as far as I know, manga cafes get their manga in bulk from the second hand market, so it's cheaper than dirt.
    But manga is expensive in the States, right? If so... the cost of starting a cafe will be... scary to imagine.

Manga here is usually 10 dollars which would be... 1,054.17 Yen :'D ...I totally googled that >>;
    Yeah that would be horrible just to get in. So much for starving student activities D:

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    a nice chunk i read is online, though that's not saying that i don't have an entire shelf full of it

Lucy Lu

Keep On Moving Foward...
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2014
    I much rather read manga in book form other than online. But if there is a manga I am dying to read and isn't available in the US, I will read it online until it becomes available in book form in the US. Same with reading the chapters. Sometimes it will take a while for the volume to come out here with the chapter you are dying to read. So I will read it online. XD

So far though I have about 85 manga. That isn't a lot I know. I should have over 100 by now. I am working on it. XD

I wish we had a manga cafe in the US. That would be totally awesome! But then we got crooks, so they probably end up stealing some. ~_~

MUSION

>:)
    Years
  • I buy all my manga, reading it online just ain't for me. I'll sometimes check out the first chapter or two of a manga online when I'm looking for a new series, but that's it.

Wish

No spoils for the meek.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2018
    I buy all my manga. Reading online just ruins the feel you get reading in an actual book. Plus, it's nice having a big manga collection! :D

Anty

Just thought of going French..
    Years
  • I like reading the actual book rather than reading online because reading online sometimes gets really confusing. Like what if your computer frozes and stuff? You can't be able to read it now.

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    I buy my manga. I used to do the whole "read one chapter online and buy the rest if I like it" thing but nah, I started figuring out that a lot of manga aren't at their very best in the first couple of chapters.

Phanima

That servant of the evil one
    Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2011
    I read everything online unfortunately. There's only one manga that I bought on a whim and kept buying just for the sake of completing the entire series. Of course, I prefer reading hard copies but since the retail mark up is insane at all book stores, online is just way more efficient.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I read the books — and only ones retaining the original right-to-left format. I do have Mahoraba on my computer though, since I'd never be able to get it in bookshops here.

Unforgettable

Melodies of Life
    Years
  • I like the book better. I've yet to actually read manga online... so I will have to try it out.
    But I will most likely still like the actual book more. :3

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
  • I lied.

I have Tokyo Babylon on my computer now cause like... good luck finding it easily in America XD;
    Hooray for prequels \o/!

Last edited:
    Back