• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen How do you think the touch screen will be used?

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I know the whole point of the Nintendo DS is the make it more interactive with the touch screen, but I've never found myself using that when I had an alternative way to get something done. I think it's just because I'm too lazy to move my hand after I get into a comfortable position all the time to accomplish something I would normally be able to accomplish without. But seeing as how with the introduction of every new game, they've made the touch screen more of a utility, I expect it wouldn't be much different than HeartGold and SoulSilver.

The only feature that comes to my mind would be controlling the character through the touch screen (which seems kind of pointless) so much that you can move him or her diagonally as well, which is something I would really like to see be brought to this game.

Ayselipera

I'd love if the screen was completely touch. Zelda is designed so just about every movement has to be controlled by the stylus and I love it. I think it's unfortunate Pokemon hasn't picked up on this feature yet after making a few games for the DS. As of now I don't think this game will have this feature since the few videos I've seen look like the stylus is once again not a huge feature. It's a bit disappointing since the whole point of the DS is to incorporate and sometimes even make every part of the game touchable. I'm hoping it might be a feature they include on the third game that will conjoin Black and White.

Samme!

Haterz gonna hate
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Oct 3, 2011
    I wouldn't mind the same system that was used in HG/SS, although the mechanics of the box system on the bottom screen didn't really work out too well, so I'd hope that that would return to the top. To increase usage of the touch screen besides the usual Menu, I think that it'd be cool if at certain times during the plot in an event the touch screen could be used to solve a puzzle of some sort or to get past an obstacle. This way the whole game isn't just on the top or bottom screens, but so that it's equally distributed. :D

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    I really, really loved HGSS's bottom-screen menu interface. I'd be disappointed if it changed in B/W. D:

Ayselipera

Eww, why do you want to control everything from the touch screen? I'm always bothered by people who insist that any game on DS must take full advantage of all of its features. :|

It's Nintendo's current handheld, a game can take advantage of some of the technology of the DS while leaving other things out that just aren't right for the game. Some RPGs on the DS are still in 2D but they're still perfectly enjoyable, even if the DS can handle 3D graphics. That's why I was always like "okay shut up" when people complained that battle scenes in D/P were still in 2D sprite form. >_<;

Anyway... </rant>. Sorry. XD;

It's only because after playing a game that made me play by using the touch screen for just about everything I realized how much I liked it. I mean at first I was completely turned off by and I wanted nothing to do with complete touch screen features, but it grew on me and now I love it.

If you haven't played a game that made you use the stylus for just about everything then I can see why you wouldn't want it. Like I said before I didn't want it either, but it makes things like opening your bag and grabbing items easier and more accessible. If you have played a game that used the stylus as it's main feature though then I guess not everyone can like the same things.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    I'd hope it's done the same as HG/SS. It was a lot more enjoyable and interactive having it that way. I remember in DPPt, I would barely use my touch screen to do much. To be honest, there wasn't a lot to do with the touch screen other than what was needed on the Pokétch. After HG/SS came out, it took a couple hours to adjust to the new setup of things, but after awhile it became so easy to use.

I'm hoping they don't convert back to the same style DPPt had as it'll just seem like a downgrade to the game. Every generation is to get better, so I'd expect this game to move forward with it. I wouldn't want everything to be controlled through the touch screen though. That'll just be annoying when some things are just easier done by the buttons.

Years
    I hope it's just like HG/SS. Also, the PC, get rid of deposit/withdraw. What is the point of having that? And search anyone? That would definitely be a good addition.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2014
    The Heart Gold Soul Silver touch screen made Pokemon seem like it fit on the DS, unlike Diamond and Pearl where you barely used it, only for your PokeEtch. So yeah, bring back the HG/SS touch screen feature.

Massai

Lesson The First
    Years
    • Seen May 2, 2011
    HG/SS uses of the Touch Screen, if not more improvement on the system, atleast continue the awesomeness we have with it. One change is when selecting an item in the bag with the stylus, either a double tap or extra confirmation - tired of hitting an item with the stylus to read the info on it only to select it. Have to keep using the D-Pad.

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
    Its most likely that they kept the menu on the bottom screen, seeing how well it worked in HG/SS. They might add new stuff to it, like one page is the menu, tap a button and it goes to, lets say it could be the poketech apps.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    Maybe Walking could be could be control using the Touch screen like a mini screen of a map to show where you are compared to the city and you can drag the ds stylis around to make the player move around that map...We should also stick with what HGSS did and not go back to what we saw in DP

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    I think it should be used just like it was in HG/SS. The main controls (controlling your player) will stay on the d-pad though and IMO should always. They could add in a few mini-games to make more use of the touch screen too if they want, or better yet in some parts of the story offer a two-screen display of the surrounding area. Like say the touch screen would be for street-level viewing and the top screen would reveal the skyscrapers, trees, or whatever is above you.

Back