• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How does one beat this type of deck? (YGO)

Captain Blue

Blue the Justice
    Years
    This deck uses cards such as Needle Worm, Iron Chain Dragon, Gravekeeper's Servant, Freed the Brave Wanderer, and Marauding Captain, along with most of the Staples. These and other such cards are the bane of my existence, especially concerning the fact that one can do this so easily. Is there really any way to counter a deck hell-bent on making you tear your hair out as they destroy your deck and make you unable to attack? It's very frustrating to lose to constant synchro summoning and losing of cards you need. It's also very disheartening to come back ready to play the game, thinking you can get back into the groove after a few matches, only to find you get stomped constantly because the game's got so many dick moves that it makes Lemmings look like a co-op game.

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
    Years
    Sample decklist, please?

I'd say that the most obvious thing would be to simply move faster than your opponent. Look at the draw engine of your current deck, and depending on what you're running change the line-up to see if you can make Destiny Draw, Allure of Darkness, or Trade-in viable options. If you can't do that, I'd suggest adding more monster removal, because it sounds to me like you're having trouble punching through walls. If you want to really screw a deck like this over, adding a copy or two of Lightsworn Beast, Wulf is great for the lulz effect you'll have when they flip Needle Worm and you're like "Yayz, free special summon!"

Other than that, I've got to say that it would be helpful to know the deck you're playing this one with, because it sounds like your deck doesn't like dumping stuff into the graveyard, which most decks do in some form or another these days. Milling isn't a hugely popular strategy because occasionally it backfires and your opponent says "Yay, Judgment Dragon get! =D"

Captain Blue

Blue the Justice
    Years
    Person refuses to give deck info because then it'd be defeated. You hit the nail on the head concerning what kind of deck I'm using. I'm too used to the older days, before YGO went from using strategy to beat eachother up to a game of who can be the biggest ass first. The best I've got for a deck that can handle stuff in the graveyard is a zombie deck I've started running ever since I came back, but the cards to make the cards come back from the graveyard are sent into the graveyard before I can get them going. Moving fast is just impossible the way I run...then again, maybe I'm not cut out for dueling such a deck if I can't comprehend the simple concept of "you're going to get crap sent into the graveyard due to circumstances beyond your control." Anyway, thanks for what limited help you could provide.

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
    Years
    I can say that if you're running zombies, there's an easy way to solve your problem- two actually. Plaguespreader Zombie and Mezuki.

Seriously, there's nothing easier. Mezuki's effect activates in the graveyard, so ninety-nine percent of the time your opponent is going to be helping you by dumping it. Mezuki also likes to bring back Zombie Master, who can start pulling back big zombies to smash face with the moment you get it on the field. Plaguespreader Zombie is also an excellent pick, because- once again- by getting him in the graveyard, you set yourself up for a Synchro Summon rather easily. Even if all you can summon is a level four monster, you've still got yourself an instant Goyou Guardian which will pretty much smash the face of pretty much any wall you've got sitting in front of you- and what's more, Goyou lets you STEAL YOUR OPPONENT'S CRAP. Plus, between three copies of Mezuki and Zombie Master on top of an unknown number of Il Bluds (optional) and your lone Monster Reborn, zombie can theoretically have any number of revival cards on hand at any given moment. Half the time you'll be hugging your opponent for dumping that Mezuki for you.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    Tech Penguin Knight and laugh as your opponent uses his/her resources up only to completely replenish your deck.

...In all honesty, if you are having problems with cards being discarded to the Graveyard by effects such as Needle Worm, then it might be worth teching more cards that can pull resources back from the Graveyard, such as A Feather of the Phoenix or Mask of Darkness. Skill Drain would also work if the majority of your problem is coming from monster effects. You could also try ACC's suggestion, but Plaguespreader and Mezuki will be harder to track down due to rarity.

If nothing else, then just switch to a deck that enjoys milling. Lightsworn is the competitive choice, but a Magical Explosion OTK deck should be a bit cheaper to build while still working to take advantage of that mill.

I'm too used to the older days, before YGO went from using strategy to beat eachother up to a game of who can be the biggest ass first.

...Technically, Yu-Gi-Oh has been that way ever since the Envoy days of Invasion of Chaos.

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
    ...Technically, Yu-Gi-Oh has been that way ever since the Envoy days of Invasion of Chaos.

Technically, it's been that way since the origin of competitive play, save for when you're trying to assemble your game-breaking draw/damage loop or combination of guaranteed 8000+ damage to your opponent's face instead. New cards just make it easier to do that sort of thing consistently.

Anyway, yeah, cards that like being sent to the graveyard are obviously a good counter to mill, but it's actually a bit of a mixed blessing, because with such a deck, you would want to be milling yourself too, and that - in turn - can lead to burning out your deck really quickly. Now from my experiences with playing milling decks, I'm going to go ahead and suggest a different approach:

Extreme burn deck. Icha already mentioned Magical Explosion OTKO, which is certainly a formidable candidate for the job, but anything capable of hitting for large amounts of burn damage fast will make most conventional milling strategies cringe. Dedicated burn is a rare sight these days, and so it's unlikely that your opponent will have prepared to counter it. Chain Strike Burn should certainly be up to the task. It's a deck that attacks very rarely, so any walling efforts your opponent makes will basically be wasted while they also have to go through the trouble of flip summoning for whatever flip effects they want to activate, which means the effects will trigger slower. Chain Strike burn as a whole is also basically just one, big stream of hurt for your opponent, so it's not as dependent on drawing specific cards to secure a win as most decks and will therefore also not be hurt as badly by random milling incidents (losing Chain Strike still stings, but it's not the end of the deck) and your opponent will usually have very few cards at hand that could deal with the threat of constantly being hit for big burn damage.

Also, though it's a bit old school, Skill Drain burn could also do the trick. Most worthwhile milling cards are effect monsters, so Skill Drain cripples them badly, and once you get a Wave-Motion Cannon down, winning will usually just be a stall game from thereon out, as dedicated mill can't afford much in the S/T destruction department.

Ceasefire is also a kick in the crotch for anything using flip monsters, and an easy fit into both strategies.

Venturing on to the obscure, Outstanding Dog Marron and Magical Blast are both cards that can keep you from decking out, basically forever. For added lulz, combine Marron with Mass Driver/Cannon Soldier and laugh as you chip your opponent's life points away bit by bit.

Also, Iron Wall burn could also work. It's a combo deck based on assembling Plaguespreader Zombie and Quillbolt Hedgehog in the graveyard and Imperial Iron Wall on the Field, then playing a Cannon Soldier or Mass Driver and going crazy. Plaguespreader is a tuner that can summon itself from the graveyard, and Quillbolt can summon itself from the graveyard if you control a tuner. Normally, both would be removed from play if they leave the field after summoning themselves, but with Iron Wall preventing that, you can keep sending your Quillbolt to the yard for Mass Driver/Cannon Soldier and pulling it back up as often as you like. End result: a trickle of tiny damage bits that keeps coming for precisely as long as you want it to. Losing your Iron Walls to the mill is a bit of a risk in this matchup, but there are ways to recur that card (Mask of Darkness comes to mind) and as far as the rest of the setup (the far trickier part) goes, your opponent's milling efforts will just be speeding the process up.

Back