• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How important IV is?!

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2016
    f*K it, i've been looking for the "PERFECT" magicrap for so f*king long, I already have 760 candy and NOT EVEN ONE good cp AND iv all together,
    Im at level 24, and the best magikarps I had were either a 155 cp one with a crappy IV
    or a crappy cp one with 84 IV.

My only ambition for my Gyrados is to have the best moveset, and a fairly high CP.

So should I just evolve the next 155+ CP i find?? or to wait for a one with good IV also.
    P.S: I am not going to get to a higher level than 30, if it matters to your opinion.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2016
    in your case I would go for the 155 CP one, Since you almost got enough candy for a 2nd one it might be worth taking a punt on your magikarp then saving the rest of your candy for a really good one (you will definately get a better one eventually)
    If you evolved the low CP one then you would have to use a lot of candy and stardust to level it up and still end up dumping it when you catch a 90%+ magikarp

VisualJae

[size=1][FONT=Michroma][color=#a42525][b]Spam Hype
    Years
    It's a grind. Either you put in the time for the hunt and get lucky or you evolve whatever you have. You only have those two options so stick with one.

I've captured close to 600 Magikarps lifetime and of the 6 Gyarados all with 80-95.6% IV rating, not a single one has Hydro Pump. But I know it's a grind so that's not stopping me from continuing my efforts (halfway to 7th Gyarados now with at least CP197 and a 88.9% IV rating waiting).

One bit of bad news is that you missed the boat for a Dragon Breath Gyarados. Since the last ninja patch that updated movesets, no new Gyarados can learn Dragon Breath. Best case scenario for you now is Bite/Hydro Pump for offense.

FYI just in case you're banking on hatching one with good IVs, it's impossible to get one beyond CP150 (with 100% perfect IVs) as hatched Pokémon are limited to level 20.

Years
    f*K it, i've been looking for the "PERFECT" magicrap for so f*king long, I already have 760 candy and NOT EVEN ONE good cp AND iv all together,
    Im at level 24, and the best magikarps I had were either a 155 cp one with a crappy IV

My only ambition for my Gyrados is to have the best moveset, and a fairly high CP.

So should I just evolve the next 155+ CP i find?? or to wait for a one with good IV also.
    P.S: I am not going to get to a higher level than 30, if it matters to your opinion.

I finally got a perfect Magikarp

Years

If you're not planning to get higher than lvl 30, there's literally no point in caring about IVs, as they only increase the maximum potential level of your Pokemon (which you'll only see at lvl 40).

Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2017
    the cp level of the magikarps will go up as your trainer level goes up.
    im at level 27 and just caught a 93% iv magikarp. it has 189 cp, 36 hp, requires candies to power up. it seems like 2 gyarados that ive been powering up for weeks will probably have lower cp than my new gyarados will. still... a 93% iv gyarados sounds good.

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2017
    If you're not planning to get higher than lvl 30, there's literally no point in caring about IVs, as they only increase the maximum potential level of your Pokemon (which you'll only see at lvl 40).

Not true, IVs will affect how good the result is with any maxed-out pokemon at any level.

Lets say you are level 26, you have two Gyrados maxed out, both with good movesets, then the one with the better IVs will be better.

At close to 800 candy, just evolve the best IV 80%+ (top category in appraisal feature) that you have. Movesets are also important and they are random, and you will not have regrets if you find a better magikarp one day later, because you are so damn close to evolving a second one.

I would not evolve anything below 80% IV, because Gyrados (with a decent moveset) is actually worth the stardust to power it up to the max.

By the way, the IVs are not depending on your trainer level, only the level of the pokemon are. If a snorlax spawns and 30 people catch it, all 30 people will catch a snorlax with the same IVs and the same size in terms of weight/XL/XS. The level will be random, and your trainer level (up to level 30) determines the maximum level of the snorlax that you can get. So if it happens to be a 100% IV snorlax, everyone will get a 100% IV snorlax, but for some players it will be weak, and the high level players have a chance to get a real monster, and the low level players have no chance at getting a strong one, but everyone gets a 100% IV snorlax that has the potential to be a monster, if it has a good moveset and they invest whatever it takes to power it up.

You can justify powering up pokemon even when your trainer level is low, lets say between 20 and 25, if 3 conditions are fulfilled: High IV, good moveset, and when it is a pokemon that is good for competitive play. (No ratticate or pidgeot).

You cannot justify putting dust into a pokemon with bad IVs or a bad moveset, no matter what your player level is, no matter how strong it looks right now on the surface.

When any of the pokemon that have the potential to be awesome in arena enters your collection, and it has 100% IV, and you evolve it, and it gets a good moveset, but unfortunately it is initially weak due to low level, you need all your stardust to power up that one. And that will happen. It may never happen for a specific one of those that can be good, but with all the different pokemon that have the potential to be awesome, it will happen for some of them.

To sum it all up into the most important lesson: Play with the mindset of a very high level player, make your decisions accordingly, and you will have no regrets when you finally reach that very high level.

UltimateFrosty08

THE DAB MAN
    Years

Stupid just use all those Candy to lvl it up or wait let me guess your team mystic if you were team Valor you could get it to 155+cp in 2-3 candy

Back