• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen How to Catch Shinies/Chaining? HELP!

Tazz

Tazz the Spazz
    Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2008
    Ok, I have read the tutorials, but for some reason, they don't seem to make much sense to me. Can someone please explain in a way a TOTAL NOOB would understand? I'm not saying I'm a total noob, I'm just saying it would be easier than having to flip back and forth between tutorials, picking bits and peices out of each. Thanks...

Deoxys55

Deoxys Collector
    Years
    Heh, it confused me so bad at first to. I'll do my best.

So. First thing's first. You need the pokeradar. You can't use it on a bike, so make sure you're walking. Also, it helps a LOT to have the radar registered.
    You will also need lots of repels. I find it usally takes about 40-50 Max Repels to get to a chain of 40, but it's always best to have at least 100.
    And remember, Quick Balls are your FRIENDS. 8D

The first thing you need to do is decide what pokemon you want to chain. I mean, it doesn't HAVE to be the first thing, but it helps. Remember that you cannot chain pokemon that are only found in water/caves/Safari game. Only pokemon found in grass will work.

Then, go to where that pokemon is located, and try to find the biggest area of grass you can find. The best are the ones where you can stand in the middle(ish) of the grassy area and count four squares of grass in each cardinal direction. A great example of this is the large patch just above Floaroma Town, right before the Eterna Forest.

When you are trying to start a chain, it's usually good to stand in the middle when you activate the radar. Four patches of grass will shake, one in each "ring" of grass around you. Which means, the first patch from you makes one ring, the second patch away from you is in the second ring, etc. These can either shake slowly with no added effects, shake fast with yellow lines that indicate rustles, or the can shine brightly twice, without shaking at all. The last option will always be a shiny.

Now, once you've started a chain, you want to go for patches in the fourth ring-- the farthest ones away. Remember that if these fall on the edge of the grassy area, are behind any obstacles, or touch any object, it would be better to reset. To reset the radar, just walk 50 steps and use it again to get a fresh four patches.
    People have different ways of doing this, but here's mine: if you are in a patch that has exactly four rows when you stand in the middle, run to reset in the third row away from the END of the grassy area. Keep resetting until you see a grass shake in the third row away from the end on the other side. That ensures that it is four patches away, exactly.
    Also, it's easier to chain the normal-shaking patches than the fast ones. They're easier to see, in my experience.

Once you get your chain up to 40 (may take a few tries, Poketch App. 20 helps keep track), then good, you're at the checkpoint. For some reason, this number is when the chances of finding a shiny increase to something like 5%.

Now, once you get to 40, don't look for your regular patches anymore. Just keep resetting (and resetting, and resetting, and resetting...) until you see a shiny patch. This can take anywhere between two resets and hundreds of resets (though rarely that long), depending on your luck. Once you've caught your first shiny, save, then continue until it breaks. =]

I know that's not the most comprehensive guide. Is there anything you still don't understand?

Tazz

Tazz the Spazz
    Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2008
    Thankyou, and yes, there is still two more things I am a little foggy on; When you were explaining about the reseting, and when I use the PokeRadar, do I just use it once? Or do I keeep walking 50 steps and then using it? (Sorry, I'm clueless :P lol)

Mikoliah

The Living Legend
    Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2012
    My thought (as also with what i have seen) chaining does not = getting a shiny. for example my first and only legit shiny was a Pikachu i evolved. this is how i got him exactly.

I am collecting all evolved forms, so i noticed i had a pichu a pikachu but no raichu. so i went over to the mansion and i walked into the garden. ( i did not have Pokeradar). i step half way into the grass and my first battle that entire day. not just in the garden but that whole day was a shiny pikachu.

Your other question (chaining) its quite easy to do. find you a good spot. walk in with charged radar. Use it. pick a moving grass. (flashing grass is usually better for me at least). then no matter what pokemon comes DO NOT RUN. you have to defeat/ capture it.

after it is defeated/ captured. When the screen comes back to the grass the grass will flash again. (this is why i say use flashy grass) now you have to run to a grass movement OF the same TYPE. so if you used a non flashy you must run to a non flashy ect...

Then if you are lucky the grass you just went to will be the exact same pokemon (event pokemon cannot be chained.)

Now there are a few things that can happen that stops the chaining possess.

1. You don't run to the same type of moving/ flashing grass
    2. You run into a random battle on the way to the grass.
    3. You run from the pokemon you encounter.
    4. You leave the area (map/ zone/ fly/ teleport)

(I do not know if going into your menu if anything will happen or not.)

Now some people will say (if you chain over 10 or over 20 or even 30/ 40) pokemon enough times in a row. you will automatically get a shiny. but as i said before. its not entirely likely.

Years
    • Seen Mar 21, 2008
    wow thanks alot deoxys, i was real confused too, but that cleared things up, i might go try that now

Tazz

Tazz the Spazz
    Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2008
    Ok, thanks Mikoliah. That made it alot clearer, and thanks Deoxys55 too. I think I get it now lol.

Deoxys55

Deoxys Collector
    Years
    Thankyou, and yes, there is still two more things I am a little foggy on; When you were explaining about the reseting, and when I use the PokeRadar, do I just use it once? Or do I keeep walking 50 steps and then using it? (Sorry, I'm clueless :P lol)

Oh yeah, that was a major worry of mine too, before I got the pokeradar. xD When you first use it, the four patches of grass shake. If you try to use it again, it will say: "The battery has run dry!" And will give you the number of steps you must take for it to recharge, starting at 50. After you walk 50 steps (you can tell how many you have left by activating the pokeradar and getting the aforementioned message), just use it again and a fresh 4 patches will shake.

Does that help?

Firetail

on silver trainer's card
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2008
    wow, after I read this guide I caught a shiney pink shellos!

EDIT: oh yeah it was like the sixth one

Last edited:

mcrfreak

Mcrfreak. Is. Back.
    Years
    I know, I didn't post this thread, but after reading all the guides you guys said, I understand catching shinys, alot more, I'm gonna try and catch something later, ill tell you if I do! :)

Tazz

Tazz the Spazz
    Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2008
    ...That's weird. Are you sure it wasn't just a different coast than the one you're use to (the green one maybe)? Because I'm checking around and I can't find shinie shellos' anywhere! lol

Firetail

on silver trainer's card
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2008
    yeah, i'm sure it's shiny, it's stil pink but not the usual one

ThizzKing

gET LiKE mE
    Years
    theres to different shellos, one for the east, and one for the west
    i thought i had a shiny shellos when i caught it also :/

Firetail

on silver trainer's card
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2008
    no, I've seen the blue and the pink shellos and I got a pink shellos but the colors are a little darker

Tazz

Tazz the Spazz
    Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2008
    Ok. I remember when I first stumbled across the green shellos (east coast I think). I was so happy. I thought I'd found a shiny. Then I looked at it in the pokedex and saw it had a West Coast and East Coast version. (I knew something was fishy when litterally every shellos in that area was a shiny) :P

Deoxys55

Deoxys Collector
    Years
    Congrats, Firetail. Do you mean the sixth shiny, or the sixth pokemon on your Shellos chain? If the latter, that's happened to me before. =P I found a shiny Zangoose on a chain of 12 and a shiny Seviper on a chain of 4. Those were just plain luck. xD

You know you can tell it's shiny if it has a red star next to its picture on its summary page, right? =P

Tazz

Tazz the Spazz
    Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2008
    Ok, I get it now...thanks guys. But man, is it ever hard to chain! (for me). My highest chain has only been like 8 (and it was Misdreavus). For some reason they just keep breaking randomly...I think when you use a different move than the one you first used it will break? O_o

Crystal Shaymin

~Blown Away on the Winds~
    Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2009
    well, at a chain of one, the chances of resetting for a shiny with the radar are 1/8192.

at a chain of 40, the chances are 1/200. i BIG difference. you don't automaticly get a shiny, bt it is Way more likely to appear.

Back