• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How to choose between five starters depending on the day of the week

Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    For the game I'm creating with some friends we wanted to give the player a starter according to the day of the week and the generation He/She prefers.

Basically, you wake up and then your father tells you that as a birthday gift he will give you your first pokemon, the he asks the player what region likes the most (from Kanto to Unova) and then the game should check the day of the week and then It will give the starter pokemon.

We don't know how to do it via events, and We are new using pokemon essentials so We don't know how to use it a its maximum potential :( and don't know much about coding, so we cannot make a script ;-;

If you could help us we'll really appreciate it
    Sorry for my english, not my first language

Years
  • I think I understand what you are asking. So the first thing you will want to do is to add a control switch for every day of the week. (You can do this by going to "Insert < Control Switches < Single (and the tab next to it). Then go to an empty page and add something that looks like this:

After that, go to the event page of your Dad (if it's an autorun or player touch event it will be a little different) and add this (obviously customize it to what you want).

Now you will want to use the control switches you created earlier, depending on what day of the week you want certain Pokemon.

For me, I will have:
    Water Types on Sunday, Wednesday, and Saturday.
    Fire Types on Monday, Thursday.
    Grass Types on Tuesday, Friday.
    Keep in mind with the control switches you created earlier:
    Spoiler:

One way you can simplify this (as shown above) is to add a control switch that reads multiple days of the week. For example, instead of having a Conditional Branch for every day of the week, you can have a Conditional Branch for every day that just applies to the type you want.
    To do this, just add commas after all of the days.
    For example, instead of this:
    It would look like this:

So to put this into an event, after each choice (IE: Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, etc) add a specific day of the week and a 'giving Pokemon command' under it (for Kanto, for the rest of the regions you would just have to replace the Pokemon with the type of Pokemon you want in different regions. For example, if the player chose Unova, you would change Squirtle to Oshawatt, Charmander to Tepig and Bulbasaur to Snivy).
    It will look something like this:

Hope this helps! If you have any questions (and you probably will because I suck at explaining things >.<) then just let me know!
    Here's proof it works: (I did this on a Thursday)

Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I'm sorry for replying so late, I've been very, very busy in the university... :/

Thank you for answering, that was very helpful!

But there's only one thing i couldn't do yet...
    and that's giving the pokemon to the player, i guess it may be something with the switches.

I mean it does everything it has to do, except giving the pokemon to the player, it's like if isn't reading the days of the week...

Do I need to call a script in other event so it activates the crontol switch or something like that?

Years
    • Seen today
    Call the pbAddPokemon(:NEW,5) script for the player to actually receive the Pokémon (replacing :NEW with the starter species).

Years
    • Seen Apr 20, 2017
    Did you solve the issue, Horosaki?

If not, it's best to start debugging. Place a simple text message or something in the different weekday branches to isolate the issue.
    If the message is displayed, the problem lies in your "give Pokémon" script.
    If no message is displayed, the problem lies in the weekday branch.

Back