• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How to edit RPG_RT.exe with Resource Hacker

Years
    It is now a year since I first posted these tutorials on PC, and in accommodation to that, I have brought these tutorials back. I plan on writing a third one soon, explaining how to insert your own icon.

Before we begin, you'll need to download Resource Hacker.
    It is a utility that is used to view, modify, rename, add, delete and extract resources in 32bit Windows executables and resource files.
    What is also worth mentioning is that the program is freeware and therefor you do not need to pay anything to download it.

You can get it at https://www.users.on.net/johnson/resourcehacker/

Lesson 1 - Enterbrain Logo
    Step 1 - Exporting Logo:
    So we've all seen that the splash screen when loading RPG_RT.exe says Enterbrain. What if we'd want to edit it? Well first we'll have to export it. In the following steps I'll teach you how to export it and importing it again.

First open Resource Hacker

Next load up your RPG_RT.exe, (do not worry if you screw up the file while trying to replace something, ResHacker always makes a backup called filename_original.exe, in this case RPG_RT_original.exe) you'll see a selection of folders, so open up the one called XYZ and the LOGO1 inside of it, select the file called 0 and click the action tab and then click Save resource as a binary file ...

Save it as an XYZ image, (preferably in your RM2k/3 project folder)

Afterwards open up RPG2000/2003.exe and import it as a PNG image. Now open it up in the program you use for your graphical work, like Photoshop or Paintshop Pro. Open it up and make your own logo.

Step 2 - Importing Logo:
    Before inserting it, we'll have to import it in RPG2000/2003.exe as an XYZ image, so do that first.

After you've done that it's time to import it.

First you will need to delete the other XYZ logo, so right click it and press Delete Resource [XYZ : LOGO1 : 0]

After you've done that you will need to insert your own, so click the action tab and click Add a new resource ...
    A window will pop up, click Open file with new resource ... and find your XYZ image, then open it. A few options will popup, such as Resource Type, Resource Name, and Resource Language.
    Type in the following and click add resource when you're done.
    Resource Type: XYZ
    Resource Name: LOGO1
    Resource Language: Leave it empty

It should end up looking like this:

Congratulations, you've now succesfully replaced the Enterbrain logo.

Next Lesson: How to edit the EXFont.

Feedback is welcome.

Lesson 2 - EXFont
    Lesson 3 - Icon

Last edited:
    Years
    This is the second part of my lessons on editing RPG_RT.exe with ResHacker.

Lesson 2 - EXFont
    Step 1 - Exporting it:
    Almost everyone has seen the symbols that are used in RPG Maker games, for example the sword icon. What if one would like to replace these icons with his/her own? I will teach you how to do so in the following steps.

First you'll need load up your RPG_RT.exe in ResHacker, open up the bitmap folder and scroll down till you see EXFONT open that folder right click the file in it and select Save [Bitmap : EXFONT : 0] ...

Be sure to save it as a bitmap and load it up in whatever program you do your graphical work with, for this specific task I use MS Paint. Each icon takes up about 12x12 pixels, so you can only use something that is exactly that or smaller.
    Insert the symbols you want to use for your game.

Step 2 - Importing it:

Now that you're done with that, we'll want to insert it onto the old one. Here's how we do it:

Right click the file in the EXFONT folder and click on Replace Resource...
    A window will pop up showing the EXFONT file.

Click on the button saying Open file with new bitmap... and find your EXFONT image, open it. It should show up in the box on the left side, make sure you click Replace.

Open the EXFONT folder, and open the file within it. The EXFONT should now have been changed.

That's it you've succesfully replaced the EXFONT with your own!

Future Lesson: How to replace the Icon

Feedback is welcome.

Lesson 3 - Icon

Last edited:

Sorye HK

Looking around here and there
    Years
    • Seen Dec 1, 2021
    Nice tutorial, Avatar. Nice hearing from you.

Years
    Jayje said:
    so what do you do to edit Rmxp?
    Sorry about the slow response.

You'll have to use RMXP itself to edit splash screens etc.
    Certain scripts can do it, I myself haven't really tested much of it, but some of the authors that has made the sample games for RMXP have done it, the games come with the RMXP installation. Check them out.

Years
    I've finally managed to get around to writing the final tutorial. This tutorial covers the method of replacing the icon.

If you're using Photoshop get the .ico extension here, it will allow you to save files as .ico
    Place it in \Plug-Ins\File Formats in the Photoshop folder.
    If you do not have Photoshop, I recommend Icon Maker.

Once you've gotten one of the files above, start making your icon (32x32). When you've made your icon, proceed with the tutorial.

Lesson 3 - Icon
    Step 1 - Inserting Icon:
    Tired of the default RPG Maker icon? Want to change it? Look no further!
    In this tutorial I will teach you how to insert your own homebrewed icon.

We'll begin loading up our RPG_RT.exe in ResHacker, then open the Icon folder, you should see 4 sub folders named 1, 2, 3, 4.
    Open the folder labeled 1 and right click the file located in the folder and click Replace Resource... a new window should then pop up.

You should see the default icon in the upper right corner.
    Now click the button labeled Open file with new icon... and find your icon.
    Once you've done so, you should see both the default icon and your own icon.
    All you have to do now is click Replace

Congratulations! You've successfully replaced the icon with your own!

That concludes the ResHacking for now.
    Feedback is welcome.

Lesson 2 - EXFont

Last edited:

Sorye HK

Looking around here and there
    Years
    • Seen Dec 1, 2021
    Seriously Avatar, that is one heck of a tutorial. XD

DarkDoom3000

Super Pokemon Eevee Edition
    Years
    nice tutorials avatar!

but know the first lession the enterbrain logo
    well when I try playing it , it says invalid XYZ image can u help!

EDIT: oops i didnt make them into XYZ images!

ll done it works now :)

Last edited:
    Years
    Yes, the splash logo wont work unless you convert it to an XYZ file before reinstating it.

Back