• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How to explain Pokemon to a Seven year old?

Years
  • I have a seven year old sister, I've recently gotten SS and so have given my Pokemon Pearl game to her. She loves it and says it's even better than Mario (her previous favourite game) and every time she grows up a level she comes and tells me, with a big grin on her face. There's only one problem though.
    While she loves the game, she only sort of understands it. She knows how to battle and a few of what moves do better, but she doesn't understand much else.
    For example, when she went into Jubilife, the Poketch man came to her and told her about the clowns, she spoke to them, but then started walking other places trying to find him again. Also, when she had just battled the Starlies she didn't know where to go, even though it was explained. She keeps asking me what to do, but i would rather her work at the game on her own. So I ask of all of you, how can i explain the things said above and pretty much everything else in the games to her?

Thank you for your help
    -.Snorlax

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
  • Don't. Do it the way you're doing it now, she's 7 that's how they learn. All those products for kids to help learning and stuff is a bunch of lies. Most kids around that age prefer to learn stuff through an older sibling or other such person. Seriously she's 7 she probably won't understand 3/4 of the stuff they say in the game. Also something like a walk through will make it harder to understand for a 7 year old.

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
  • ^I have to agree. She'll be able to start again, better, when she gets older and learns. And she'll be able to get her Pokemon back, either by trade or just re-catching when she starts again. So no loss for her, you won't have to stress teaching her, and she'll be able to learn from experience which rocks!

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • ^ Yeah ,what the they said.

I was eleven when the first Pokemon games came out here, so I never had to have my hand held for me personally, but I had an SNES and Super Metroid (one of the most infamously hard to navigate open-ended games ever) when I was seven and I was heavily dependent on an older cousin to get me through the game when I got stuck. If I go back and play the game on VC nowadays, I can breeze through it in three hours. XD

Your sister loves the game, so that's a good start. Just keep giving her your hints until she catches on the the way the game works and learns to navigate it herself. :D

Last edited:

Destiny Bond

Daddow entelechies
    Years
  • Tell her a story about it. Like how ask was a boy and he let his house to catch pokemon etc.
    The story in the anime, if you watch it.

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    I'm trying to teach my little sister. She likes it but she doesn't like battling. All she likes is traveling and 'exploring'. Also, she has a lack of strategy that bugs me, but I guess I was the same when I started too. She loves playing and once she gets in a battle she hands it to me. I try to teach her how to battle and she just doesn't like it. I think I'm going to try to get it into her later.

chezhead

Thirty characters is not enoug
    Years
  • I was pretty young when I got crystal... I'm surprised I understood it!
    Then again, I was pretty smart XD.

Just let her go through it. She'll catch on...

Years
  • Thanks for all your help everyone! I've kept on doing what I was now, i'm still open to more suggestions, but i'm posting this just to show my appreciation.

And she laughed at that video. XD

Kon~

Follow your dream to the end ~
    Years
  • Why not sit down and play with her? While she is playing point stuff out, coax her to do certain things, just don't directly tell her what to do as for the most part, it would be better for her to learn herself.

So when she's playing, don't say "Go up there... and left... and talk to that guy."
    Say "Why don't you go see what's up there? Which way do you want to go?"

Etc. etc. etc. ~♪

Years
  • Why not sit down and play with her? While she is playing point stuff out, coax her to do certain things, just don't directly tell her what to do as for the most part, it would be better for her to learn herself.

So when she's playing, don't say "Go up there... and left... and talk to that guy."
    Say "Why don't you go see what's up there? Which way do you want to go?"

Etc. etc. etc. ~♪

Alright thank you, that's a fantastic idea, I'll try that!

Screedle

Getting there slowly...
    Years
  • When i first got emerald, I could undrstand the plot, and the battles, but didnt pay attention to strategy, types, characters etc. Trust me, when you are young, you mostly think about finishing the game. Like those guys said, do the best you can now, and in two or so years, convince her to try again.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 15, 2011
    I had a Pokemon handbook when I was around that age (this one, to be exact) and it explained quite a bit to me. Perhaps you should get her one of those sorts of books.

Otherwise, just let her play and explore! It's always more fun to figure games out on your own. : )

Years
  • Thank you everyone! All of these suggestions have helped her understand the game alot more! One thing though, how can i make her train, only her starter is a high level and she can't beat pastoria gym, because she started with Chimchar. So yeah, how can i make her train up a bit?

AuroraHearts

Noob Master
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2012
    she needs motivation thats what
    some one who gets her competing - kinda like a rival

like i had my neighbour... had to beat him no matter what then gloat n rub it in his face

and my 6 year old cousin is trying to keep up with her older sister (whos 8) and is always trying to get better stuff than her/get further than her on her game or get stronger pokemon

so i guess its just the motivation needed

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2017
    When I got my first Pokemon game, I never had any problem.
    I only got stuck at a few parts of the game, but only for a while, and solved it myself.

I feel happy knowing that you have introduced your sister to Pokemon.
    When she needs any help, tell her at first to talk to people around her in the game, because people will tell what she needs to do, and tell her to keep exploring and talking to people.
    But if that doesn't work, only then should you give her a hint. That's a good learning method too.

Back