• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How to get started?

Years
    So.. I'm kind of new to Pokemon. I used to play casually on GameBoy Advance and watch the anime years ago, but to be honest just got out of it. I've wanted to start playing again (properly) for a while and thought now might be a good time with Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire coming out.

Does anyone have recommendations for someone just getting back into it? Is there another game for 3DS I should play before Ruby or Sapphire? I appreciate the advice!

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    X and Y are a good bet. If you have a DS, you could look for some of the fourth or fifth gen games, though I'm guessing those are hard to find by now. If you last played Pokemon in gen 3 (Ruby and Sapphire), then you may want to look at some descriptions about what has changed since then (e.g., whether a move based its power off the attack vs. special attack stat was based on type in gen 3, but now it's based more on whether the move actually involves physical contact/action or not [e.g., Thunderpunch used to be special, but it's now physical]).

Aside from changes like that, the basic formula for Pokemon hasn't varied much over the years, so you shouldn't have too much trouble refreshing your memory/learning the ropes just by playing a game for a bit.

Years
    Thanks! I've got a 3DS so I'll definitely get started with X or Y - it's been since Sapphire that I've played at all, so I definitely have stuff to learn with the new changes for attacks, etc. I'm basically approaching Pokemon gameplay as though I'm starting fresh and not assuming I know what I'm doing because I have played in the past. I appreciate the advice!

Back