• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] How to get started

Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2020
    I know this post is probably really noob-ish and will probably be laughed at, but my goal is creating a Pokemon Silver hack (nothing too intense) and I currently have a mac. I've had some difficulty finding out how to romhack GBC games by using a Mac, basically finding out what programs are best/necessary/will work on a Mac. If someone could point me in the right direction by listing the best ways to romhack my Pokemon Silver ROM (I have Visual Boy Advance and OpenEmu, both save perfectly), but yeah, if somebody could just aid me in getting the right programs in order to begin hacking the game, that'd be much appreciated.

(Would also be appreciated if someone could do it without suggesting Winebottler to run Windows applications, using it is quite annoying) Thanks to anybody who helps and sorry if this is not the right place to post it!

Sefuree

Canada Goose
    Years
    I know this post is probably really noob-ish and will probably be laughed at, but my goal is creating a Pokemon Silver hack (nothing too intense) and I currently have a mac. I've had some difficulty finding out how to romhack GBC games by using a Mac, basically finding out what programs are best/necessary/will work on a Mac. If someone could point me in the right direction by listing the best ways to romhack my Pokemon Silver ROM (I have Visual Boy Advance and OpenEmu, both save perfectly), but yeah, if somebody could just aid me in getting the right programs in order to begin hacking the game, that'd be much appreciated.

(Would also be appreciated if someone could do it without suggesting Winebottler to run Windows applications, using it is quite annoying) Thanks to anybody who helps and sorry if this is not the right place to post it!

Well, Since most of the earlier tools for ROM hacking was for Windows and for the 3rd generation, there aren't that many Gen II tools for windows, let alone for Mac!

You WILL have to use Winebottler to edit gen II games on a Mac! (BTW Are you using Mac OS or Mack OS X?)

Here are a few tools for windows:

- GSC Trainer Editor: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=296291
    - GSC Evo/Move Editor: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=294025
    - GSC Map Editor: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=232830

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2020
    You WILL have to use Winebottler to edit gen II games on a Mac! (BTW Are you using Mac OS or Mack OS X?)

Thank you! Eh, I can suck it up and use Wine, just more of a preference to not use it.

I'm currently using Mac OS X, is there anything I should know about if I'm using Mac OS X + Wine?

Thanks a lot for the help!

(I've downloaded all three things and it looks awesome! I'm curious if there are any other things I could download for GSC editing, something along the lines of a text editor or something)

EDIT: Do I need a Hex Editor? It looks way too complicated lol, can I just use all tools to create/cancel certain events and edit text in the near future?

Last edited:

Sefuree

Canada Goose
    Years
    Thank you! Eh, I can suck it up and use Wine, just more of a preference to not use it.

I'm currently using Mac OS X, is there anything I should know about if I'm using Mac OS X + Wine?

Thanks a lot for the help!

(I've downloaded all three things and it looks awesome! I'm curious if there are any other things I could download for GSC editing, something along the lines of a text editor or something)

EDIT: Do I need a Hex Editor? It looks way too complicated lol, can I just use all tools to create/cancel certain events and edit text in the near future?

Here is a scripting tutorial: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=250467

Have fun with it!

Back