• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How to pick up good cards in packs?

Years
    • Seen Jun 27, 2006
    Well, since i usually don't have much money for buying packs, i always look for ways to pick a booster pack out of many with great cards in it. one day, i saw a pretty aged man doing the "buisness", and he bought 5 packs and got 3 ex from it!! i tried to enquire him some tips but then been refused! i was quite angry at that time, and i hope to get tips digging out awesome cards. Anybody who have got some ideas about it can u give me a hand?

jakestlm

<- It's a Sonic Screwdriver
    Years
    • Seen May 11, 2010
    the only way to know there are good cards in your booster packs is to buy them from a set containing mostly good cards. Unless you're psychic...

Years
    • Seen Jun 27, 2006
    in fact, i was a yugioh tcg player who was quite smart playing that, i knew some tricks to pick good booster packs as well. but when it comes to pokemon tcg, my skills seem to be totally useless.

Great Chikorita

~ It's Raining Here! ~
    Years
    Well... Here's some "tips" for Pokemon booster packs obtained from my fellow Pokemon TCG pals:

Holo Cards are much more harder than none holo ones, especially the ex's, since they have a holo border, so harder booster packs contain more holo cards in it. BUT some packs contain 2 holo cards, so don't expect that inside is an ex. Oh, most packs hide the holo cards in the front of the pack. You need to learn how to scan the hardness of the cards inside of the pack.

That is the most often used technique of the players near us. Some other people prefer having a "lucky pick" option, and they obtain great cards from it.

As well for some players I know, having to feel a hard and easily fold pack can contain 2 holo cards.

As far for a Yu-Gi-Oh tips? I really don't know if they're any holo cards, One thing I know that rare cards just have a silver name?

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    I actually just pick ones at random...kind of......and I pull pretty good cards (got a single EX: Deoxys and got a def. Deoxys EX). I've found that most "tricks" don't work often enough to be worthwhile...at least with Pokemon.

With Yu-Gi-Oh, however, the trick is different with each booster, and I know the trick for CRV and maybe SOI to get ultra rares, but I don't like to give that sort of thing away in big groups...

I just have kind of a "spider-sense" when it comes to them. No joke. I've pulled many an UR/SCR that way...

Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2007
    Well, the thicker packs are the ones with two foils in them, since the layer of foil makes the card a little bit thicker.

Back